, Moulsford on Thames, OX10 9JF, United Kingdom

• Absolutely appalling

We did not stay here but my son's 40th birthday family lunch was held here and was totally ruined by our experience. Apart from the location, I can find few positives. The food was very ordinary and totally overpriced. To name but a few - the seabass was not fresh, the risotto was very poor and badly presented in a ramekin (I've had better in much lesser establishments) The rosti was akin to a flattened pancake of mashed potato, browned in the oven and served in unappetising wedges. The banoffi pie was pitiful and more like an apology and some of the other pudding presentations looked like something out of a high street cafe . The owner was very inflexible with regard to our request for something suitable for two small children with tiny appetites so we had to order a course from the main menu which was wasted on them. How easy it would have been to produce a small plate of pasta for them! The service was very slow (the waitresses were pleasant but had too much to do) and I had to ask for the dirty sideplates to be removed. The menu quite clearly states a choice of either vegetables or salad but I was very firmly told (by Stephanie, the owner who took our orders) that we would be getting vegetables. In hindsight, I should not have paid the 'optional' service charge but was reluctant to spoil the occasion still further as the onus was very much on me to ask for the charge to be removed and I didn't want a confrontational situation with the owner whose attitude was intimidating and arrogant. We shall definitely not be returning or recommending this place. Needless to say, I have had no response to an e-mail I sent to Stephanie giving her the chance to respond to our criticisms. This just about sums up her attitude.

Unique Quality: Location is the only thing going for this place

Comments