"Newby Bridge, Windermere", Windermere null

AMOMA.com MrandMrsSmith.com

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• williegg's Profile Photo

Lovely setting

Stayed here for 2 nights in the summer and really enjoyed it, our room was a little small but it was well presented with all the facilities. We decided to eat in the restaurant on our first nights stay and really enjoyed it, the food was top quality and the ambience was lively, we then went to the bar for a few drinks and the place was buzzing. We thoughly enjoyed our stay and would definately go again.

Unique Quality: Lively homely hotel.

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

4* Hotel at Newby Bridge

I spent two enjoyable nights staying at the Swan hotel. It was a very pleasant experience and I was very impressed with the facilities available. There is a swimming pool and spa in the hotel and this is worth visiting, but book your visit to it.

The restauarnts and bar are excellent - freindly and professional young staff. Great fun and very customer focussed.

The room I was in (307) was on the second floor and overlooked the river, so it was wonderful for me - peaceful and relaxing.

Unique Quality: Good menus - great coffee and a wonderful tv offering - many good films at good rates. There is a Marina and a Helipad at the hotel.

It is also registered and licenced to hold weddings and marriage ceremonies.

Directions: on the banks of the River Leven and close to the Newby Bridge Hotel

More about Swan

Nice room, shame about the food

We stopped at The Swan on a short break between Christmas and New Year. It's got great facilities and the rooms are large, pleasant and most (I suspect) have great views of the surrounding fells. The restaurant food however was very ordinary - there was nothing particularly bad about it, but the quality really didn't live up to the price. Bearing in mind that the hotel is that it's more or less the only place to eat in the vacinity, unless you're prepared to drive elsewhere, you're stuck with it.
Mike, Liverpool

Nice hotel but staff need intense training

You can't walk anywhere from the hotel itself which is a bit disappointing. Our room was very nice and the public rooms were fine but the food was mediocre. Our first dinner was ok but the service was perfunctory. The young women had no idea how to treat guests, made silly comments and forgot things like offering bread and canapes. The next morning the cooked breakfast was sitting congealing on a hot plate so I requested croissants. They came moments later, having been warmed in the microwave so were chewy.
That afternoon we were served luke warm, white wine from the bar. Again the evening meal was not of a very high standard.
The following day we went for breakfast and were lucky to be greeted by a charming (not English) young man, who showed us to a table. Others were not so fortunate as they were met (not greeted) by an older English man who called out 2? and walked off without a word.
BUT what really upset me the most was being asked to authorise payment using my visa card for the full amount of our two day break the moment we entered the hotel. No deduction was made for the £50 deposit we had paid as we would no doubt be making charges during our stay! I felt like a criminal who could not be trusted to pay the bill at the end of my stay.

you couldn't stay at a nicer location

by TripAdvisor Member Noj46

The setting is fabulous if you like stunning views, rolling landscapes and watery sounds. There are some great walks nearby, perfect for a young family (we asked the staff for advice), as are the leisure facilities from which we got full value. Staff were extremely friendly and acommodating. Having a pub on site is infinately preferable to a souless hotel bar, and enables the whole family to eat in relaxed surroundings.
We'll be doing it again.

Fabulous Food and Great Service too!

by TripAdvisor Member picklechops

The Swan Hotel is located in a very beautiful part of the Lake District right on the waters edge of Lake Windermere. Our room was immaculate with great views over the water and the staff were very warm and welcoming.

The first night we ate in the Mailcoach restaurant, the service was second to none with a great atmosphere and a wide selection of food to choose from. The chicken liver parfait is absoultely amazing!

Breakfast is buffet style and has a wide selection of choice, we opted for the full English and were not dissapointed! The sausages were gorgeous and being able to help yourself meant i could have more than one!! (although my waistline may have suffered from this!)

In the afternoon we sat on the front terrace right by the waters edge and watched the world go by with a nice glass of wine. Its a great sun trap and a lovely place to relax and wind down. Ideally located (out of earshot!) at the side of the hotel there is an adventure playground with seating around it for kids to go wild on!

In the evening we went to the Revells restaurant upstairs. The food there was also very ,very good with a good selection of specials on offer! I opted for the lamb shank for my main which i have to say was absolutely amazing, it was huge! There was so much of it my boyfriend was delighted to be able to finish it off for me!!

Overall it was a perfect weekend! We feel completely spoilt and would recommend the Swan experience to all! We cant wait to visit again soon!

Lovely stay

by TripAdvisor Member Hel_Lunn

Myself and my partner spend a lovely weekend at The Swan in July. The weather was fantastic which only added to the beautiful surroundings. The hotel is based at the tip of Lake Windermere, so there's plenty to keep you amused. They also have a swimming pool which is great to take a dip in after a days walking. The rooms were spacious and extremely clean. The bathrooms also had L'Occtaine toiletries, which I was very impressed with! All in all we had a lovely stay and the location truly is perfect - see my piccies! Would definately recommend.

No complaints

by TripAdvisor Member crerand

My Wife and I have just returned from 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast at the Swan.First impressions count, and on entering the hotel you immediately sense that this is a decent 4 star hotel with a bit of quality.Our room(at the rear, facing the garden}was excellent, spotless, good clean decoration, and quality furnishings including a queen size bed with Egyptian cotton sheets ! Immaculate bathroom with quality toiletries, and just about every facility required from tea/ coffee etc. to mini bar and trouser press, not forgetting internet connection. Leisure facilities were excellent and most welcome. Hotel bar and rest areas were comfortable and inviting. Food at Revells Restaurant was excellent, and staff were courteous and friendly. We were impressed, and would recommend this hotel, and will use it again when in the area.You would have to be very pernickety to find fault with this hotel.

Great Lakes Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MrPWin

Had a one night say, and found everything to a high standard.
We have a 5-year-old and the indoor swimming pool and out door activity area worked well.
We ate in the ground floor restaurant, pub grub but better quality, and that was just right for us.
The hotel is in a great spot and the interior is sharp and clean, not like most of the larger hotels in the lakes.
Worth a visit

beautiful food, loved the real fires

by TripAdvisor Member lea406558

It was our first stay at the Swan and after such a lovely visit we felt compelled to pass on this gem to all! The room we stayed in was immaculately clean and adequate in size with a fabulous view of the fast flowing river - we even saw a salmon being caught.

Very comfy bed & crisp clean bed linen. The bathroom was also well equipped with plenty of soft towels, bath gels, soap etc

The swimming pool was lovely and warm, just the ticket as the weather was awful on the Saturday. We followed the swim with some homemade soup by the real log fire - just thinking about it makes me want to be back there right now!

All the staff were very friendly & nothing was too much trouble. Particular thanks to the French waiter in the restaurant, his recommendations for our evening meal were sensational. At lunch he also helped entertaining our two children - what's more our 4year old daughter had a real crush on him - must have been the French accent!

We finished our stay off with a superb Sunday roast before tearing ourselves away back up the M6 - many many thanks to everyone at the Swan for making our stay so special - can’t wait until we go back in Jan 2007 - don't change a thing!

Kindest Regards