136 Fenaghy Road, (formerly Galgorm Manor), Ballymena, BT42 1EA, United Kingdom

Booking.com Priceline.com Travelocity

More about Galgorm Resort & Spa

Mixed feelings about Galgorm...

by TripAdvisor Member carobritravels

Our family of four stayed at Galgorm in July to attend a family reunion nearby. We live in Los Angeles and when we began our search for a hotel I found the selections in the area somewhat limited. I was delighted when I came to Galgorms beautiful website. I was a bit nervous having read some mixed reviews but decided to book anyway since they were able to offer us a family room which suited us. The truth is that we had a lovely stay and did enjoy ourselves once we got past some disappointments (see next paragraph). Galgorms grounds are beautiful and the location on the river is just lovely. The redone areas of the hotel are very nice and we had great dinners at Gilly's restaurant every night of our stay not to mention delicious Irish breakfast. Looking back on our trip I have truly fond memories from our stay but some frustration over the details.

To sum it up, the problem is this ~ I feel that the hotel misrepresented some facts which made us feel a little let down. After reading a review, I had called to confirm that our room (there are only a few family rooms in the hotel) was in the remodeled section of the hotel. They said it was, it was not. Though the manager was responsive in trying to offer us other room options, the only other choice was connected rooms facing the contstruction for twice the price we had booked in at. We opted to stay in our much larger family suite and though its decor was very tired it had a lovely view of the river (albeit from the children's room!). The hallway to our room was really outdated which was strange as nearly every other hall in the hotel had been redone. We were also led to believe that the contruction was done ~ it was not with scaffoldings in many areas and many areas of work in progress. We were told that there was an equestrian center. There was not ~ though they were willing to find horse rentals for us it ended up being about an hours drive from the hotel. We were able to use the hotels fishing equipment though the fishing guide fell through.

Some other family members attending the reunion stayed in the new wing and their rooms were really lovely and quite upscale. You should make sure you are on the river facing side and not facing the contruction on the other side. The hotel seems to be primarily a wedding destination so during the week it felt very much like we had the hotel to ourselves. I think Galgorm has a lot of potential once the contruction is completed though I think they need to continue to work on customer service. Our experience was a bit of making you feel like you were being taking care of (with a lot of talk) but in reality it never came quite through (with the horses, the fishing guide, etc). Since we were very busy attending so many reunion functions we just let it go and made a decision to enjoy the positive parts of our stay and not focus on the disappointments. Let's face it, the hotel is located in rural Ireland so you can't expect the customer service of the Ritz. If the family holds another reunion in Ireland we would probably return to Galgorm to stay but we wouldn't go out of our way to go there just for a random vacation as it is obviously quite a distance for us.

Simply The Best

by TripAdvisor Member AmberWoolfe

We enjoyed a wonderful, relaxing weekend at Galgorm Manor and Spa recently. The room and bed were perfect, as was the view of the river.We were also able to enjoy the lovely river view from the Hydrotherapy Pool and the outside Hot-tub (where we spent a great deal of the time). The Spa facilities were superb, as were the staff and the food. Only one problem..... We miss it all !

Wonderful weekend retreat.

by TripAdvisor Member MaryLynchCork

Myself and my husband have just returned from a weekend away in Galgorm Manor. This Hotel set in the most picturesque of surrondings was the ideal weekend retreat to get away from it all. On arrival the staff were warm and welcoming and seemed genuinely excited about all the hotel had to offer. As we were shown to our rooms we were struck by the relaxed ambience of the hotel. The rooms were wonderful and the beds covered in egyption cotton were incredibly comfortable.
We ate in Gilles on both nights. The food was mouthwatering and the level of service was exceptional. Nothing appeared to be to much for the staff.
Although it was slightly cold we took a walk to the outside bar area after dinner. We both thought that on a summers afternoon it would be a lovely spot to have a drink.
On the Saturday of our stay we decided we would have some well deserved pampering in the spa. The relaxed ambience of the hotel extended to the spa. The staff were warm and welcoming and as with our experence in Gilles, nothing was to much for them.
I cannot speak highly enough of Galgorm Manor. From check in to departure we found the service to be second to none. As a busy couple this was the perfect break for us to relax and unwind. There is no doubt that we will return and hopefully return frequently.

An idyll you need to discover!

by TripAdvisor Member IOM69

I attended a wedding at Galgorm Manor in September 2007 and stayed at the hotel for a few days. The hotel has undergone a refurbishment recently and I had one of the new rooms which had a stunning view out over the river. The room itself was gorgeous with thick pile carpet and beautiful soft furnishings. The bathroom included a fantastic walk in shower, lots of fluffy towels and using the Aromatherapy Associates goodies felt like sheer indulgence. The wedding was in the Great Hall which is a separate building and I have never seen a room look so strikingly beautiful. The food and service were exemplary. During my stay I also sampled Gillies Bar and Restaurant which serves great bistro type food in a very aesthetically pleasing environment by staff who are cheerful and efficient. But, the piece de la resistance has to be the amazing new Spa which had just opened. It is a design masterpiece, blending just the right amount of style with comfort and hence it manages to appear calm, fresh and clean whilst retaining a sumptuous, elegant and decadent air. I have never seen Spa staff so beautifully groomed either! I used the hydrotherapy pool and thermal spa areas and also had a full body massage. The treatment rooms are the best I have ever experienced with just the right lighting and temperature which I find is a rare achievement. My therapist expertly removed the knots in my shoulders and the overall experience was sublime. I hear that they have just opened a new fine dining restaurant and if they put into it anything like the attention to detail which is evident elsewhere, it is bound to be a gastronomic delight. So, suffice it to say that I am already planning my next trip!

Beautiful setting, need more manners

by TripAdvisor Member AnthonyMcNamee

Stayed at Galgorm for a weekend not so long ago (in one of the cabins) and it really is a fantastic setting for a hotel. The gardens are gorgeous and there is a real tranquility about the place.

Inside, the restaurant is good, the style is unusual but nice and it is clean and spacious. Now the spa is open, the place can only improve again.

But there does seem to be a certain callousness about the whole Galgorm operation. We all know hotels are in the business of making money, but the Galgorm way seems to be "get the money off them upfront and thereafter be either absent or uppity". I got a feeling they seem to believe that customers should be thankful for being allowed to use their facilities, rather than they should be thankful the customer chose to use the facilities.

The spa is open

by TripAdvisor Member agentaustin

I only had one night at the Galgorm, but it was a great time.
The setting is beautiful, with a river and waterfall next to the hotel.
The room I had included a sitting area and a patio. The bathroom was incredible with a deep soaking tub and seperate shower. The towel warmer was a nice touch.

Their outdoor bar area, Bollinger Garden, was a very pleasant gathering place. Space heaters were set out to keep the chill off. The multi-leveled restaurant, Gillies, was lively and busy. It seems to be a popular place with the local residents.

I found that my room was too warm, especially for sleeping under the duvet. But, there was no thermostat in the room. I tried to call the front desk only to find that my phone was not working. So, I went down and was able to have someone come check it out. The answer I got to the thermostat problem was that it had not been installed yet. They suggested I just open the patio door. But, I did not feel comfortable leaving it open all night.

The spa is now open. I had time to take a tour, but not enough time to get a treatment. I guess that will have to wait until my next visit.

The resort is only about 20 minutes from Belfast, so if you did want to explore that city, it would be very do able.

Bring Gordon to Gillies

by TripAdvisor Member blondegirl

We got married at Galgorm two years ago and decided to go back for our anniversary. The Spa is now open and the renovations are complete. The interior of the hotel is fantastic and reminds me of a hotel in Mauritius. Our bedroom was very comfortable and overlooked the river. We were on The Romantic package and so we had a bottle of champagne delivered to our room, but 10mins later we had a pool of water running down the dressing table as the ice bucket was cracked. That was ok and we didnt mind too much, its only water after all.

The problem we had with the hotel was the food in Gillies Bar/restaurant. We had lunch when we arrived and the 'homemade' pie that my husband ordered came out on the plate with a huge mound of sloppy mashed carrots. The pie looked as if it had been microwaved as the pastry was soggy, the chips just looked greasy. My meal left alot to be desired. So after this we were a bit apprehensive about dining there later that night. But just thought that what we had earlier would be a one off. I wish we had of gone to eat elsewhere because my prawn cocktail was watery and really salty, the weaten bread served with it was hard. My husband ordered a fillet steak and it arrived luke warm and dried up. The place was busy, but is that a good enough excuse for bad food? I am not so sure. All I could think of was Gordon Ramsay going into the kitchen and using the 'f' word ALOT!

I would have tried out The 'fine' dining but I was told that its the same kitchen that cooked the food there too.

Is it too much to ask for good food? It just seems to be that the hotel has grown so much that it has lost touch of what is really important-the details.

Wedding fiasco

by TripAdvisor Member debbieBelfast

I attended my daughter's wedding reception here. The food and the service at the reception was excellent but the reservation staff were very poor.The original room I booked had to be changed the month before the wedding to a more expensive room which adjoined the matron of honour’s room because of a change of policy by the hotel regarding baby sitting. Because of these earlier problems I again confirmed tmy room the day before the wedding but when I arrived it was not adjoining . As parents of the bride and therefore important members of the bridal party we were kept waiting for 30 minutes while the matter was sorted. I received no apology for the fact that their mistake meant that family photographs I wanted could not be taken because of the delay.
So be careful if choosing this for a wedding venue.

great location, room a little disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member lou083

I stayed here for just one night. The hotel is set in a beautiful location and looks fabolous. i stayed in on of the ordianry rooms and it cost me 105 pounds sterling on a Band B basis. My room was in the old part of the hotel. there was no direct lift to it and I had to drag my 3 bags down 2 flights of stairs. The room itself was grand. It was a a large room with a fine size comfortable bed and there was complimentary robes and slippers. the view from my room was beautiful. there was a beautiful river just outside. my only negtive thing about the room was that there was a hole in the ceiling over the shower. I used the spa. It is really really gorgeous. I had a foot treatment which cost 50 pounds sterling. I thought the treatment itself was way over priced even when you take into account the friendly staff and beautiful surroundings. I asked to stay my room for an extra hour after checkout and the staff were helpful and efficient when dealing with my request. Overall i enjoyed my stay here and would return if the opportunity arises.

Comments