Hastings Culloden Hotel

Culloden Estate & Spa
Travelocity Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Best Hotel in Belfast

The first ever 5 star Hotel in Belfast, if not Northern Ireland.

Set in it's own extensive grounds, within a ten minute drive of Belfast City Centre. It has a grand olde worlde appearance, with a selection of ornate reception rooms. The restaurant is renowned for its cooking, quality food and service. The rooms are spacious and offer all the modern facilities expected from a hotel with this grade.

Anybody I've known who has stayed here has been very impressed!!!

Directions: Set off a dual carriageway between Belfast and Holywood in an upmarket area called "Cultra"

More about Hastings Culloden Hotel

A mixed review

First time at this hotel and not really sure what I was letting myself in for when I read the mixed reviews. Certainly reception was quick and efficient although my room was not quite ready so I took the opportunity to walk around the grounds .... was that a tree or a telephone mast disguised as a tree???

The room was very comfortable with lots of little extras which make the stay so much more pleasant - I don't think I eat all of those sweets provided but apologies if I did. The decor was fresh and the bed just swallowed you up when you got on top.

But oh dear...cobwebs behind the TV set ....and more when I moved the bedside locker to retrieve my phone charger. Now I have to say that dust and cobwebs are not what you expect to find in a luxury hotel like this.

My advice to guests....enjoy the room but don't look behind the furniture!!!

Wonderful hotel with great staff!

by TripAdvisor Member BWS

Great hotel with lovely friendly staff. We stayed in the Dunlop suite overlooking the Belfast Lough. The room was large with a small dining table, lounge and a great view from the large windows. The Cultra train station is at the bottom of the hotel and an easy way to travel to central Belfast. Eat at the Cultra Inn situated within the grounds of the Hotel. The food was excellent and the staff were great. The meal was relatively cheap as well. They have specials going all the time on meals. Would stay again at this hotel.
PS: Be aware of the Belfast "black taxis" though. We caught one and were ripped off. Upon speaking to the hotel staff about them, we were advised to avoid them at all costs. They apparently ripped everyone off, not just the tourists!

Decent hotel, but not a five star

by TripAdvisor Member Benvorlich

I'm not sure why this hotel was awarded five stars -- probably because Belfast felt it had to have at least one first rate hotel. It is in a lovely setting in parkland a short drive from the city centre, it has friendly staff and the rooms are of a high standard, BUT it just isn't a five star.

I arrived after midnight following a long day of work and travel from Edinburgh to London and then Belfast. The night porter checked me in. When I went to "my" room and opened the door, the first thing I noticed was that there were clothes strewn across the floor. One step further and I realised there was someone sleepng in the bed!

I returned to the front desk and explained what had happened. The night porter seemed remarkably unconcerned, failed to apologise, and handed me another key card, saying "try this one, then". The really sums up the attitude of the staff; friendly but not exactly efficient.

One other word of advice: my room was at ground level, overlooking the secluded gardens. Unfortunately, both the window locks were broken, meaning it would have been very easy for a thief to burgle the room. I would be very concerned about booking staff into this hotel, especially females, unless I was assured they were on an upper floor.

On the positive side, I would definitely suggesting visiting Belfast. It is a powerful symbol of the success of the peace process -- great people, fantastic Victorian and 21st century architecture, good restaurants and bars. And the famous "Ulster fry" at breakfast time makes up for the slapdash attitude of hotel porters!

Wonderful atmoshere

by TripAdvisor Member coco40

I have just returned home after a one night stay at Culloden. The service we received from arrival to departure was faultless.

It was very busy in the hotel which gave a real buzz in the lobby area and restaurant.

This hotel is ideal for relaxing - we used the spa facilities which were excellent. There are robes in the bedrooms and the lift takes you straight to the the spa area. There is a small area to have snacks, a pool, steam room and jacuzzi.

The rooms were incredibly comfortable . We were in a suite which was large with a seating area, huge very comfortable bed and a very large bathroom with molton brown toiletries. There were a few lights not working which we let the hotel know about on checkout. There was no fridge in the room which I found strange for a 5 star hotel.

We had coffee in the lobby after checking in - lovely atmosphere with open fires.

We ate in the Mitre restaurant. There was a pianist playing and overall the food was excellent with great service,and again a great atmosphere!

Breakfast was buffet style with a wonderful choice . Eggs were cooked to order and all food was replenished frequently . Breakfast was very relaxed and the service superb.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a relaxing break, with good service and food.

Comments