Malmaison Belfast

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Malmaison Belfast

More Ben than Mal

by TripAdvisor Member JohnSelf

My girlfriend and I stayed in Malmaison Belfast for a one-off treat and loved the ambience of the hotel, which some feel is too dark but we found irresistibly stylish and comfortable. The service too was excellent, with all the staff very friendly and helpful and willing to have a chat.

Our biggest disappointment was that although we booked a 'superior room' with 'space to chill out' they placed us in a standard room which was smaller than expected. However when I emailed them afterwards they acknowledged the error and refunded the difference, plus promised us a superior room for the standard price next time.

Also, for those naive souls (like us) who expected breakfast to be included when you're paying £120 a night (and that's the lower web-booked price): prepare to lower your expectations. In fact the breakfast was £12.75 each which, together with room service the night before, brought our one-night bill to a pricey £175.

The room service meals were fine but could have been hotter; but it's the style, atmosphere and service which make Malmaison stand out. And the free condoms and toiletries...

Impressed

by TripAdvisor Member Traveller171175

I think the other comments were rather unfair. I spent 3 nights here and found the room really comfortable, and the service outstanding. The food was good, but I agree with other respondents, very expensive by Belfast standards.

cheap and nasty

Don't even bother with this place unless you wondered what the inside of a --- handbag looks like. Cheap and nasty and terrible service with bad attitude from the bar attendants. It was a much better hotel before the malmaison brand got it. There are many far superior hotels to choose from in this really very interesting city

Stylish and comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member Brightontraveller-2

The room was excellent: spacious, quiet, comfortable beds;
loved the decor and fittings. Having fitted out the room so stylishly they should put more effort into maintenance: the sink plug was broken and the TV remote hardly worked (it needed a new battery). The provision of bathroom towels was not exactly generous.

The overall stye of the hotel reception area, bar and restaurant
is distinctive - mood lighting (too dark still) and quirky features, but certainly never boring. You will either love their style or hate it. An excellent meal was provided in the restaurant when we arrived quite late (10.30 p.m.)

Breakfast was a bit over-priced (not included in the room price)
and the service a bit too laid-back, even for a weekend.

Despite these quibbles, a very enjoyable stay.

Nice decor

by TripAdvisor Member nann

I stayed here with my husband not that long ago, the first impressions were great, the decor and the artifacts in the "lobby". the room was smaller than i had expected and there was no dvd player as had been stated and also no bath! the shower pressure was practically non-exsistent and the bed was tiny, by any standards for a double!! when we asked the staff about this they were rude and flippant.
there is also no car park close by, we were told to park out front and move the car before 8am.
the decor in the room was very nice but it was not what i expected from a hotel in Belfast. It was well over priced for a 3 star hotel in Belfast.
Try here for the decor it's worth a look, not much else good to say about it!

Average service

by TripAdvisor Member EReview

I was on a business trip in Belfast and stayed at the Malmaison. The interior of the hotel lobby and the standard of decor in my room was excellent. However, I was disappointed that the phone in my room did not work and when I explained this to the reception staff they shrugged their shoulders and said "oh" as if it was to be expected, which is not good enough.

A sumptuous night

This hotel has oodles of style and class, its forte is in the finishing touches seldom seen in hotels in Belfast. Its location in the centre of town leaves plenty of scope to go exploring this great city but our stay there left little reason to leave the room. Like a supreme deluxe box of chocolates the anticipation was what was held with in. The décor from the entrance to the room didn’t disappoint. A visual and tactile delight careful selection of furnishings, textiles and soft lighting let you know that this was catering to more than the basic needs that a hotel can offer. The room that we stayed in was one of the least expensive but in no way did that have any bearing on what we found on opening the door. The décor has a sumptuous and rich feel to it dark wood furniture velveteen cushions and bed spreads plasma TV and DVD player and all other requirements of what you expect to find where there but with extra detail added. The bathroom was superbly fitted and a shower big enough for two to share with ease (and we did). The hotel bar is somewhere to relax further after enjoying a fine meal in the restaurant which although didn’t have a huge selection of food did produce it well the wine list is extensive although seemingly high priced didn’t cater for a smaller budget. The service and staff were professional and pleasant and were more than helpful with any request. There have been comments posted about the dark feel of the place but I think it added to its ambience giving a feeling that you were about to enjoy a wonderful night even at ten in the morning. Hope you enjoy your stay here as much as we did.

Loved it all

i really had a lovely time here. my room was a delight - everything worked (no flat battery in the remote control) and was properly provided (no dangerous electric sockets by the sink). i had a wonderful meal in the restaurant. i also used the small gym - it has a treadmill, a cross trainer and a floor mat for pilates or stretching - so it is small and if i'd wanted to do weights work i would have been disappointed. service was splendid, each member of staff was very helpful. i'd certainly return. it is expensive but i felt it worth it - 5 stars from me!

Good hotel, but service not great

The hotel room was excellent, spacious, and luxurious and all the bits worked and it is in a great location.
However the reception service is very poor. Having turned up at 2.30pm I was told the room was not ready in a very matter of fact way and looked at strangely (rudely) when I waited on for more information. I was told to leave my mobile number so that they could call me later when it was ready. When I asked for an estimate of when they expected it to be ready they begrudgingly told me 3pm, which in reality turned out to be 4pm. No apology was given, come to think of it I did not even get a smile!
I ate in the restaurant and it was absolutely delicious, I did have to wait about 30mins for my wine, but the quality of the food far outweighed the inconvenience.
Just a bit of advice, I paid for a nights stay with dinner included, believing this to be the cost effective option- this turned out not to be the case, the restaurant is not that expensive and there were extra dinner costs(excluding alcohol) that ended up on my bill in the end.
Lovely decor, great food, but not the sort of place to go if you want to be pampered.

trendy hotel nice decor but get better staff

by TripAdvisor Member mel76

Trendy decor and place to stay but I agree with other reviewer. Service is sloppy and unfriendly. Check in staff don't have a brilliant attitude. Got the impression they could nt be bothered with me from the outset - no one offered to help me with my luggage as I struggled upstairs with it. Also - booked some business people in recently and they messed up the booking.

Ordered a main course ceasar salad from room service and got 2 salads- rang to inform them they had made a mistake but they just said no they had sent 2 starters and i could shovel both of them onto a plate myself to make it into a main course - how lazy can you get ?

Comments