36 Cromwell Road, Botanic Ave, Belfast, BT7 1JW, United Kingdom

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

• GuntherHK's Profile Photo

Recommended

Some travelguides says that this is a hostel and others says it´s bed&breakfast.
    Anyway I found it very comfortable.
    This was cheapest place I found in Belfast and I was very satisfied.

Extremely friendly staff.

Walking distance (~1 km) to city centre.

Directions: Botanic Garden district

More about Tara Lodge

Belfast local

by centaur76 about Tara Lodge

Quiet rooms, close to all the restaurants & nighlife yet far enough away not to be disturbed by it!

Fantastic breakfasts! Friendly Professional staff!
Great service
Quiet rooms
Nice Decor!

Fantastic value for money

by TripAdvisor Member Wendyjb

Spent the weekend in Belfast staying at Tara lodge, the place was clean, tidy, modern and above all else, the staff were very friendly and helpful. They really made you feel welcome, the breakfast was great, filling and not greasy, a healthy and hearty breakfast to start your day.

Fantastic value - but do you want your luggage stolen!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Sydney_Robster

We stayed 1 night: Thursday, 14th June 2007 (£100)

Value: We paid £110 Saturday & Sunday, then £130 for Sanctuary House (refer to my review) in London central, 2 mins walk from Westminster Abbey. Although Tara lodge is now renovated and very modern, I still think it's overpriced for it's location.

After viewing the Trip Advisor website and other sources, we still had great difficulty in selecting a reasonably priced Belfast hotel of good quality and with good reviews. We selected Tara lodge based on location and price. The website photos depicted it was dated and worn.

We were advised, when checking in, that the second building had been recently renovated and that the renovations in the main building that houses reception and the breakfast area had almost completed. This was evident with the builders on site.

We were pleasantly surprised to find that the building and room allocated was extremely modern and decorated with neutral and contrasting earth tones. The room included wardrobe, queen size bed, desk & table, hair dryer, iron and board, luggage table, safe, flat screen TV (approx 17 inch) and DVD player.

An unsecure car park is located at the rear of the property for approx 12 vehicles. It doesn’t appear that you would be likely to get off street parking in the near vicinity.

I noted that the stairwell and lift area were separated by doors from the hallway that provides access to the rooms. This sound barrier is a good feature, which even most 5 star hotels don't have.

The room doesn’t have air conditioning and we had to open the windows at one stage to reduce the temperature. The surrounding roads are not busy, so we weren’t letting any noise in.

The Botanic Gardens railway station is located very nearby, however, we did not hear any train noise. From Central Station, it only cost us £5 to get a taxi to Tara Lodge, therefore it's probably more convenient to catch a taxi rather than a train.

The staff are very courteous and helpful (i.e. the very friendly chef who opened the kitchen just prior to the usual 7am opening time to expedite our meal and arranged the taxi for our early morning flight). The rooms are very, very nice and Tara Lodge is in an excellent location as it’s only 15 minutes' walk into the town centre. If all things were equal, I would recommend staying at Tara Lodge at £100, however, I suspect that management will increase the tariff in the near future once the renovations have been completed. In that case, you would need to re-assess their tariff against that of the competitors.

On the other hand, I am very angry at hotel management for not providing secure luggage storage while we were waiting for our room to become available. Reception advised us to place our bags under the stairwell located next to the door leading to the carpark and the building which was renovated. This means that our bags could have easily been taken from under the stairwell (which is out of the line of sight of the reception desk), through the door and placed into a car boot in the carpark just outside. This may not sound likely, but it is possible and only requires an opportunist (i.e. a hotel guest, a builder working on site or some miscellaneous person who entered the car park via the driveway) to take advantage of the situation. Hotel guests require the service of temporary secure luggage storage and hotel management could easily provide it in this case by installing a locked gate on the stairwell cavity. I recommend avoiding Tara lodge until this is rectified.

very enjoyable experience

by TripAdvisor Member quickbrownfox

If you want a hotel with quick access to the centre of Belfast you couldn't do much better than the Tara Lodge. It was excellent In terms of value ( I booked mainly because they had a triple room that would accomodate my daughter as well as my husband and myself), and quality of service.
Breakfast was a highlight. The scrambled eggs with smoked salmon was delicious, and the waiter took great pains to get my daughter's boiled egg cooked just the way she liked it.
In fact the staff were the hotel's best asset. They could not have been more friendly or helpful. Tony on reception gives excellent recommendations about where to eat at night - and there is plenty of choice as it is in the main student area of Belfast.
We had a very pleasant stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

Fantastic!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member jo-jo-josie

We went to Belfast for a Hen weekend, as Belfast was cheaper to get to than Dublin. I must say that it is a fantastic place to visit and much better than Dublin. Tara Lodge is a marvellous hotel. For the price we paid it was a total bargain £75 for 2 night B&B. The reception is manned 24 hours a day, and everyone was so friendly and helpful, Tony and his babyoil especially!! The rooms are very smart and the beds well comfy. The breakfasts are to die for, just what you need to soak up all of the booze! The hotel itself is only a 10 minute walk from the Europa bus station, just ask, everyone is so friendly. The hotel is really close to lots of pubs and restaurants, and a subway! I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again and again - just for the breakfast!

Nice place and nice people

by TripAdvisor Member gorka

We went to belfast for Meat loaf concert and we stayed for 3 nights; we booked the Tara Lodge based on price, location and Trip advisor reviews.

The first thing I must say is that it was one of the chepest place I found in belfast and also, they discribe themselves as a Bred and breakfast. Perhaps its is but I have stayed in 4 stars hotels much worse thn this "bed and breakfast ".

The place is about 10 minutes walking from the City Center , very close to the University with young people, and about 5 minutes from the Botanical Gardens.

You have about 5 places with live music in less than 5 minutes and, at least, four places with very good food in less than 300 meters. We paid from 6 Sterling pounds ( in a place called Maggie, just in the corner ) to 50 Sterling pound ( in the metro restaurant ) per person and all the meals were really nice

the staff was more than helpful and if they read this I would like to say thanks to them because they always tried to make our holidays nicer.

The breakfast was very, very good, much better thn 90% of the hotels I have been.

If I go to Belfast I will stay again in the Tara lodge, for sure. Even if I can get better price in a four star hotel.

Excellent Stay, Great location

by TripAdvisor Member kellyandmatt

Tara Lodge,

Lovely staff, very helpful and friendly.

The price of the lodge for two was £75 including a large breakfast. This was well worth it. The rooms are large and have a nice comfy bed and clean modern bathroom, TV, heating, wardrobe, hairdryer etc.

The location is excellent. We arrived at the Belfast Central Train station and a cab was $4. Or we could have taken a light rail train for £2, to Botanic Station. About a minute walk from the door of the hotel is a main road with heaps of restaurants to choose from, shops and pubs. And its only a short walk, 10-15mins into the main city. We wandered around all hours of the day and night and felt completely safe.

There were renovations going on, but we didnt hear or see any sign of them. There was a sign up explaining that there may be some dust and noise, but we had absolutely no problems at all.
So i wouldnt consider this a factor in choosing the lodge to stay.

Great place if exploring Belfast!

Awesome - great food, rooms & location!

by TripAdvisor Member toni.lister

My boyfriend & I recently stayed for one night at the Tara Lodge. It was unfortunate that we only had one night to stay, as Belfast seemed quite an interesting & enjoyable city, & Tara Lodge was part of the positive experience. Our stay at the lodge was excellent. We had our own car, & found the premises easily & without a fuss. There was free parking on the street outside, as well as out the back of the lodge (which is secured at night).

Check in went easily, & the staff were knowledgable & helpful. We were staying on the 2nd-floor in a fairly new looking room, which was much larger than we were anticipating for the price we had paid (I did ask for a large room if possible, so I am not sure if there are smaller ones). We were both really impressed. There were tea & coffee-making facilities, a large wardrobe-type thing to put your clothes in, two desks, a luggage rack, two bedside tables & the bed, which was large & comfortable. Pity that the TV was a tiny wee thing sitting up on the wall, but it's not that important when you want to spend your time looking around the city. The room was clean & tidy, & everything had clearly been recently updated, including the bathroom.

The bathroom was a fair size, with plenty of space to sit your bathroom products, as well as a bath (with a shower over it). The water was always hot & had good pressure. Our window only looked out on the back carpark & traintracks, so it wasn't that interesting, but it was still very tidy out there. Unfortunately, because of the train tracks, it was very noisy from about 6am onwards. If you can, perhaps ask for a room facing the street, as this might be a lot quieter.

The area around the lodge is good - there are some shops very close by which include a couple of pubs, a wine store, restaurants (a couple of good Chinese ones too) & various other places of interest. Within a couple of minutes walk towards the city, you reach a large intersection where even more restaurants & services are located including a pool hall & a KFC. The university & botanical gardens are very close, & are both quite impressive & well worth a visit! The walk into the city was a little shorter than anticipated, & probably doesn't take more than 15 or 20 minutes - don't forget to stop at the Crown Liquor Saloon on the way (or the way back).

Breakfast was better than average, with an actual menu to select your food from. There were several breakfast options includng a few varieties of a full Irish breakfast, as well as pancakes. Service in the breakfast room was exceptional.

We both really enjoyed our stay here - the rooms were spacious & comfortable, with plenty of amenities & services close by. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, or in Belfast in general.

Best Value in Belfast

by TripAdvisor Member 200rrr

Over the last few years I have stayed here on a number of occasions on business. I have stayed in loads of other hotels in Belfast. Belfast has a lack of hotel rooms so the average price is high. So for £60 including breakfast it cant be beaten in my opinion. It is comfortable and clean. Pretty basic with no restaurant or bar but there is an excellent breakfast. Nuff said.

Comments