4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Booking.com AMOMA.com Expedia.com

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• catherineneill's Profile Photo

Fitzwilliam - excellent choice in central Belfast

We put all our international guests up in the Fitzwilliam - its central, handy for the bus and train station and a lot more 'chiq' than its nearest neighbour the Jurys Inn, and more edgy than the Europa a few doors down.

A design hotel, the only one in Ireland on Conde Nast traveller hot list 2010, the fitzwilliam is a great business destination or indeed for a luxury break.

The rooms are lush and the restaurant is good too. In fact, we often go to the Fitzwilliam hotel bar for pre dinner or show drinks - its got a great bar and just the right atmosphere for the new Belfast

Unique Quality: Mitchelin star chef Kevin Thornton's restaurant

Directions: From Europa bus station / train station exit from the main doors and turn left, Fitzwilliam is just pas the opera house

More about The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast

SUPERB STYLISH ....... The best Belfast has to offer..

by TripAdvisor Member BigJohnDeere

I stayed with my wife for the second time recently and had yet another fantastic experience. The room decor lemon/black was refreshing, and the newness of everything was to be enjoyed. Unfortunately the other hotels like the Europa and Culloden are in some serious need of a major revamp so its refreshing to see a bright new one arrive in town.
Dont dare think about eating out. The restaurant in the hotel is fabulous and not at all expensive compared to whats out there. If you dont want to eat in two nights in a row then the Cayenne restaurant (Paul Rankin's) is a very easy walk 5mins up the street. Sun-Thurs £20 and £25 3 course set menus. But watch the wine prices they can bite!! avg £30+/btl
There was not one negative to report.on with the Fitzwilliam. Only one comment that we booked a suite for the first visit and an exec. for our return. The extra space in the suite seemed to be in the bathroom which is nice, but we found the exec. room more than adequate. Well done to staff and management. A pleasurable experience..... and we will return again and again..

relaxed luxury and excellent service make this a very special hotel

by TripAdvisor Member deesandfatcat

we wanted to treat ourselves and be well looked after for a night and this hotel certainly delivered. having pulled up to the door we had the car taken care of straight away by valet parking and were met by very friendly reception staff who made us feel warmly welcomed. The space and light of the foyer contrast beautifully with the slightly dark and daring feel of the bar and the contemporary decor throughout left us with high expectations for our room. we were certainly not disappointed. the bedroom was pure luxury from the bedding to the bath and we had everthing from books to browse through to champagne in the mini bar. heaven! we spent most of evening in the hotel enjoying excellent food in the restaurant and great cocktails in the bar. all the staff were very friendly and seemed to take real pride in providing the best of service. Breakfast at eleven the next morning was a real treat with a great choice of both healthy and indulgent options which finished off one of the most relaxing and enjoyable stays we have ever had. our next stay is already booked!

Loved The Fitzwilliam!

by TripAdvisor Member JanetCalif0rnia

Stayed at the Fitzwilliam for one night and wish it could have been longer. The staff was more than friendly - Mark (who appeared to be the manager) sat down with us for nearly an hour and helped map out our trip around Ireland! The rooms were comfortable, stylish, quiet, and clean. Although parking was a bit confusing at first, Fergus (the accommodating and very friendly concierge) quickly appeared to take our car to a nearby parking garage. Great location in the center of town. Belfast is a great place - if you are a tourist make sure to book a Black Cab Tour of the city. We will definitely be back!

fab fitzwilliam

by TripAdvisor Member chelleni

we booked this last minute and got a special weekend break rate including an evening meal on the hotel's website.
Really loved the whole experience-staff were without exception really professional friendly and efficent.
The room was a standard but was beautifully decorated.
We had a few drinks in the lovely bar on the friday evening-fantastic cocktails and lovely atmosphere.
The lobby area is very impressive -you can sit and read the books on display or just chill out.
Breakfasts were fab-great choices and service but the best bit was the fantastic meal.
The food was wonderful and the service again excellent-will definetly be returning.

Loved everything about this stylish hotel-great Belfast location too.Drinks are a bit pricey but as a treat now and again definetly worth it.

Nothing Special

by TripAdvisor Member rozabell

I stayed for just one night with my sister and my 15month old son. I found the room to be very small. It had everything you could want but for a new hotel it just isn't anything special. There is a lot of noise coming up from the street below. Breakfast was excellent. Bar area nice but it was difficult to get a space as it isn't that big. There is no space outside the hotel to pull up and unload and as we arrived at rush hour we had a number of cars blow at us because we were blocking traffic... Maybe we're spoilt but I really feel for a new hotel the Fitzwilliam is just not delivering..

Beautiful hotel, nicest staff

by TripAdvisor Member ReadHere

Everything about this place is brand new (only open about 3 months), smartly designed, and pleasing to the senses. We were the first people to ever use our room! Much larger than we expected, certainly by European standards. King bed was truly king size. Can't say enough about how perfectly they balanced good taste and a modern/futuristic design scheme.
Their conference rooms looked beyond state-of-the-art. Would love to attend a professional/business meeting there.
Everyone who works there is a gem. All arrangements made by internet were faithfully carried out. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff.
Restaurant, bar, and breakfast were superb, at amazingly low prices for what I'm accustomed to paying in a European capital. Food was so fresh and delicious, presented and served so well, and the atmosphere was the best.
Location perfect. Short walk from Europa Bus Station and Great Victoria Train Station. All tour buses and taxis are across the street. Very friendly drivers and tour guides waiting to take you, and the prices are quite reasonable. Wonderful historic pubs just a block up the street.
Business center is a nice touch- 3 free computers, free internet, free printer.
Prices everywhere are a lot cheaper than London or Dublin. They seem desperate for American tourists. The people of Belfast are the nicest you'd ever want to meet!
Noteworthy- the city seems to close down early. By 6pm most stores are closed. Tour buses stop going out at 4:30pm. Hard to get a meal anywhere without a reservation after 9pm, unless you eat at the hotel. It was daylight until about 10:30pm! Weather was perfect- a shower each day, high temp about 60 degrees. Have a rain jacket with a hood, and you'll be fine.
It's very safe in the city. We intentionally avoided the margins of the city where the haters/troublemakers of both sides still seem entrenched.

Well-decorated ,Good staff but the room's view !

by TripAdvisor Member Sarita1983

1- The hotel was the same price of Euorpa hotel but I wanted to get a 5 stars one ,So I booked it as they were in the same range of price but I regretted it because Europe had a very out-standing view over Victoria square and Fitzwilliam has an aisle view!!!

2- The room and the toilet were well decorated and beautiful even the lobby was nice although it was quite small but looked cozy except for the entrance which was so 3 stars hotel like , I mean as 5 luxurious hotel, i expected the entrance to be gigantic instead, it was like a small shop entrance.

3- The staff were so polite and helpful.I called the reception at midnight to ask for something to eat, they did not ask me to call the room service instead they brought me a super-delicious sandwich!! by the way I so liked the staff uniform , very Elegant!!

4- The location was perfect ,did not need a car or even bus except when I went to Odessy arena and the airport..

5- I probably would try the other twin hotel in Dublin If and only if it has a great view over the street not an aisle...

Understated Elegance

by TripAdvisor Member dubfam

Have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Fitzwilliam Belfast. The hotel is located in a very central part of town, right beside the Opera House, just down the road from the famous Crown Bar and a short walk from City Hall and the main shopping areas. After reading previous reviews we were really looking forward to staying at the hotel, and were prepared for the drop off and parking facilities at the hotel. We had booked a two night bed and breakfast and one dinner package directly with the hotel and had also booked a spot in the car park with valet parking. We had no issue with arrival at the hotel and parked on the very wide pavement outside the front door of the hotel, unloaded our bags and handed our keys to the very friendly Concierge who took the car to a nearby carpark. The lobby of the hotel is nicely decorated, modern and understated, but with fantastic attention to detail. The more time you spent in it the more you notice, everything is very subtle. There are lovely couches and chairs to relax in and plenty of reading material available. There are two lifts from the lobby to the rooms and they are very fast, you are never waiting very long for one. Our room was very nice, exactly as pictured on the hotel website. Modern furnishings and again fantastic attention to detail and very subtle luxurious touches, such as two beautiful fresh flowers, floating in a glass on coffee tables at either side of the sofa in the room. Very trendy VOSS mineral water left at the bedside. There was a built in area at the side of the bed that contained the mini-bar, tea and coffee making facilities (a cafetiere for fresh coffee) and a CD player and speakers. Guests can chose to borrow CD's from the hotels collection. The bathroom was fabulous and contained a large bath and a huge shower. The toiletries available were also of a very high quality. There was as bathrobe and slippers for both of us. There was also a Fitzwilliam umbrella in the room for us to use while we stayed ...this was a nice touch and we were glad of it! Breakfast (which is served until 11.30 in the morning )was fantastic. A lovely selection of cereals, fresh fruit, breads, croissants and a choice of cooked breakfasts. We opted for the traditional fry both mornings and it was truly delicious, but you could chose from a large menu of items that included Eggs Benedict, pancakes and fresh strawberries etc. The staff in the restaurant were so professional and very friendly. We explored all that Belfast has to offer during the afternoon, and while out called the hotel to make our dinner reservation for that evening, and this was one of only two issues that I would have with the hotel and why they only recieved four out of five for service. The person on the phone was very offhand, and even though we explained that we were guests in the hotel, on a b&B and dinner package, they were very unaccommodating about making a reservation in the restaurant as they said they were very busy that night. Eventually when we insisted that they had to sort something out...they managed to make a table booking for us. This was I felt very bad service from a hotel, it has always been my experience that hotel restaurants always have a number of tables in reserve for hotel guests. This should not have been an issue particularly as we were on a dinner package! Anyway, we had our dinner there that evening and it was quite good, The menu and name of the restaurant is attributed to Kevin Thornton so with this the expectation is that the food would be excellent and to be fair certain aspects of it were, but my partners porcini risotto starter left a lot to be desired, lacking in flavour and very gloopy. The portion sizes of the fillet steaks were also on the small side. However, the steak was cooked to perfection. Again in the restaurant, there was obvious attention to detail with the presentation of the food. The restaurant staff were excellent.

On our last morning, before we headed down for breakfast I rang reception to request a slightly late checkout (according to their blurb in the room they will always try to accommodate this where possible!), we were having breakfast at 11.15 and I hoped to extend checkout till about 1230-1245 so that we wouldn't have to rush it. This is my second gripe about the service in the hotel, when I rang reception and made the request, the receptionist was very rude and abrupt. She reluctantly allowed me a 1230 checkout but "absolutley not any longer"and made me feel that she was doing me a huge favour by granting this concession, I thanked her and said that this would be perfect for us, but her attitude left me with a very bad impression of her poor customer relation skills. There are nice ways to say no to someone, and as a person who stays in hotels regularly I totally appreciate that late checkouts are not always possible....but it's all in the way you say it! The staff in the restaurant, bar and concierge desk were truly excellent and my disappointing encounter was on two occasions with the reception staff by telephone which is why I can only give four stars for service. Overall the hotel is very very nice and I would certainly stay there again, if you like modern five star hotels then this is worth a stay. It's very nice, comfortable, relaxed,trendy and ideally situated in central Belfast.

Belfast New Chic

by TripAdvisor Member Pavarroti

Got a great deal on this hotel through Travel Supermarket. Cheaper than the grotty Holiday Inn nearby. I love the style of this hotel. Bang up to date, and a level of furnishings in the public area which really marks this out as different from everything else in the city. All the others seem faded and dated compared to the Fitzwilliam. The staff I met were professional and friendly. A good experience. A few things do need to be sorted by the management.. Firstly the water pressure in the shower is low, even when turned up to full. I am sure this can be put right with ease. Secondly, when the staff are going round picking up room service breakfast orders, and leaving news papers at 05.00 in the morning, please do it quietly. I was wakened by numerous doors banging as they went round. Not great as it spoils a near perfect experience in a hotel I hope does well.

Comments