Belfast Hotels

Our Members Say

Jurys Inn: Good value

This was a last minute booking - as in Friday morning for Saturday night. £65 via a hotel discount site. Laterooms.com, I think.

Breakfast was extra, but only £10 for a buffet which was quite adequate and started at 7am on a Sunday. I hate places which expect you to breakfast mid-morning just because it’s Sunday and their staff want to sleep late.

Check in is usually 2pm onwards, but they found a room for me at 1.30. The room was a corner one at the back, so very quiet. I have a contact at the Edinburgh Jurys, so maybe I have Jarrien to thank for that.

Very comfortable room too. Not lavish, obviously, but comfortable.

I had a burger in the bar before heading off to the ice hockey at 6. Decent quality.

Not sure about internet access - in the UK I can use my dongle.

The hotel is located very close the the Europa bus station, so ideal if (like me) you’re coming in from one of the airports. It is also 5 minutes from Donegall Square, so very central. Lots of restaurants and pubs around.

A 25 minute walk to the Odyssey Arena. I could have taken a bus, but fresh air and a bit of exercise is always good. Even in the rain.

It’s probably the best of the budget chain hotels I’ve used here.

Location. Value for money.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written January 27, 2013

7am breakfast

• Goner profile photo Goner
  • Reviews: 1128

Europa: Most Bombed Hotel in Town

The Europa is a very nice hotel. The service was good, the people at the desk were a little brusk. The Europa Hotel was the only hotel in Belfast for the main part of the Troubles so came under constant attack by militant republicans. Now fully renovated it is one of the finest hotels in the city.

We had a great view out our bedroom window of a bustling Belfast. The hotel restaurant had excellent food.

Europa Hotel has a bar/lounge. wireless Internet access and secretarial services. Event facilities include conference rooms. The staff can arrange dry cleaning/laundry services. Additional amenities include valet parking, multilingual staff, and room service.

Guestrooms haveiPod docking stations, complimentary newspapers, and televisions. Business-friendly amenities include wireless Internet access (surcharge), desks, and direct-dial phones. Bathrooms provide hair dryers and complimentary toiletries.

All guestrooms at Europa Hotel are non-smoking.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Museum Visits, Photography
  • Written April 29, 2010

Europa Hotel

• bonio profile photo bonio
  • Reviews: 2482

Travelodge: Central Travelodge

Comfortable room for us, no frills as expected in a Travelodge but great value. Breakfast is extra cost and served in the restaurant downstairs. Early checkin and late departures also available at £10 each.
No problems here for us, very happy to revisit.

• Written July 29, 2009

borrowed photo

• tim07 profile photo tim07
  • Reviews: 1110

Park Inn Belfast: Modern hotel in a great location

This is a modern hotel in an ideal location in the city centre. It's only a few minutes walk from both the City Hall & the Europa buscentre. There are plenty of shops, pubs & cafes nearby.

The 145 room hotel is very modern, with state of the art facilities. The interior is decorated with lively colours and felt clean & fresh. This applied to the rooms as well.

Breakfast is taken in the RBG (Red Bar & Grill), it was a buffet with an amazing selection of hot & cold food & drinks. The RBG is beautifully decorated too.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written June 22, 2009

Hotel entrance

Malmaison: very good place

I got a good deal at £119 ex breakfast. The room was very comfortable, and the bathroom was particularly well appointed. Free wifi along with all the usual 4-5 star mod cons.

Breakfast was excellent, but not cheap at £12 each!

We had dinner in the restaurant - see my foodie tips - and recommend that too.

It has a few downsides tho'. No car parking, so I had to fork out £14 the the shopping centre across the street. It is on a very busy street, so front facing rooms will be noisy. Our room faced an alley leading to the bus station - nothing to see out the window, and could be noisy at weekends.

It is very central, so ideal for looking around the city centre.

The decor!

It is decorated like a brothel.

• Written April 24, 2009

front

• sourbugger profile photo sourbugger
  • Reviews: 2920

Culloden resort: Scottish Battleground

This five-star hotel stands just outside Holywood (so why isn't it on the VT list ?).

It certainly earns it's five star status with good facilities, views over the city, fine dining and all the works you would expect.

The core of the hotel is the former Bishops' Palace. It was good of him to live in such humble surroundings, with sixteen bedrooms, nine reception rooms and a ballroom looking down over the great unwashed of East Belfast.

The hotel builds on this sense of history with it's rather corny strapline on 'Built for a Bishop, fit for a king'. Despite this appauling line the hotel manages to pull of the rather neat trick of being luxurious without being ostentatious.

A superb breakfast, with little touches that I approved of : a free shot of a whiskey to add to your morning porridge, for example.

The 'North Down' musuli was also good, despite the fact that nobody had heard of musuli in Belast until about six years ago. So quite how they can claim it some local hand-made delicacy is way beyond my ken.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Written November 1, 2008

• tekiegirl profile photo tekiegirl
  • Reviews: 31

Paddy's Palace, Belfast: Comfortable beds at Paddy's Palace

Paddy's Palace hostel is situated in the Queen's quarter, only 10 minutes walk from the bus/train station.
We only stayed for two nights, but I would have been happy to stay for much longer. The beds were very comfortable, there were no noisy guests, and everyone was very friendly.

The facilities were clean, and the kitchen was well stocked with cutlery, crockery and cooking utensils/pans/etc.

Breakfast (cereal/toast) is included in the price, and there are many accommodation options available (mixed dorms of 4-12 people, and twin/triple private rooms).
We had a triple private room, which also had a sink.

Clean facilities, breakfast included, and comfortable beds (unlike some hostels!).
Working options available for free accommodation!

• Related to: Study Abroad, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written August 24, 2008

• bcatton profile photo bcatton
  • Reviews: 37

Hilton Belfast: Hilton Hotel

This is the world famous Hilton. Located next to the Waterfront Hall, 2 minutes from Central Station (rail) and about a 5 minute walk into the heart of Belfast.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Luxury Travel
  • Written May 17, 2008
Tip Photo

Hilton car park, with the hotel behind

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Days Hotel: Hellish!

Arrived about 10.15pm off the ferry from Scotland after a day’s work and a 3 hour drive, then 2 hours on the ferry in a storm. Got to my room to find it was a smoking one when I had definitely booked a non-smoking one. My phone call to reception was greeted with an abrupt dismissal along the lines of the hotel being full, non smoking "requests" not being contractual, and basically "get stuffed"...

The room stank. So did my clothes the next morning.

I slept with the window slightly open to try to fumigate the place, but being on the 1st floor just above the kitchen, I was wakened at 6 by the delivery vans starting.

As well as the stink, the heater in the room looked like someone had played football with it, there was a cigarette burn on the desk, and the desk looked like it had not been dusted for weeks..

When I went for breakfast, their system would not let me charge it to the room and the waitress suggested I join the growing queue at reception to try to sort it out. Not her fault probably, but I was pretty hacked off with the place by then so I’m afraid she got the sharp end of my tongue and I went to Macdonalds. Probably saved myself £5 in the process.

The place is in a good central location, but surrounded by a car park so it looks like the proverbial urban wilderness.

It was my first experience of a Days Inn anywhere, and I hope its my last. My advice is to avoid it at all costs.

The worst hotel experience I can remember for many years.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written April 7, 2008
Tip Photo

Urban wilderness; hotel from hell

Premier Inn: good value

Pleasantly surprised by the quality of the rooms. You expect a good standard with these chains, but this was better than the average "budget".

Pleasant reception and bar/restaurant area too, with a decent menu (on paper - we didn't try). Breakfast was excellent.

Receptionist came up with a top rate recommendation for a dinner place. Also dealt efficiently with 46 people checking in at the same time at 12.30pm!

Its on a quiet side street, reasonably safe from noise at night.

Good central location. Comfortable rooms and good value

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written March 17, 2008
Tip Photo

brick building, not the glass one

• fosbak profile photo fosbak
  • Reviews: 14

Europa Hotel - Belfast: An institution

Stayed for 2 nights in February 2008.
The Europa is an institution in hotels. The most bombed hotel in the world; our room had a history book with pictures of the hotel during the troubles. This was due to it being the residence of all the key journalists covering the troubles over many years as well as the stop off point for celebrities and world leaders. One of the suites is called the Clinton suite after he stayed there on his famous visit a few years ago; though I understand that all the sheets have been well laundered, a frustration to anyone wanting to take forensic samples.

We stayed in an Executive room. It was large, had the most comfortable bed in Europe, and the decor with huge plasma screen OK. The staff were just about the friendliest people I have ever met during my travels throughout the world - real genuine conversations from people who I though seemed genuinely pleased that we were visiting.

We had breakfast only and it was as good as the usual 4 star breakfasts. Buffet style with as wide a selection as you would want.

The drawbacks: The bathroom drains were smelly with shower grouting that was slightly moulding. No mini bar or fridge. We arrived to find a half eaten packet of biscuits in our room but just outside was the maid's trolley and so we swapped it for a full one without anyone noticing. 1:30am FIRE ALARM, and when we were due to fly out at 6:00am that morning - not funny at all. It was aparently set off by a guest reveller at a party in the function room and, we were told, this is a "regular" (whatever that means) prank. Had we not been flying out that morning we'd have gatecrashed the party as compensation.

The regular Belfast folk we met were very impressed when asking where we were staying replied the Europa. Don't know why it's not THAT good; but it was OK and is worth staying at if only to look at the history book pictures and be able to say that you've been there.

The Europa has a unique place in the history of Northern Ireland.

Out of our 9th floor window to the rear of the hotel we looked over the Shankhill road with a huge wall painting saying "you are entering loyalist Belfast" or something like that.

The location is probably the best location in Belfast; very central, next door to the opera house and just across the road from the must unusual (MUST VISIT) pub in the world - The Crown.

The most comfortable bed ever!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Business Travel
  • Written February 22, 2008

View from rear of hotel

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3677

EUROPA HOTEL: THE MOST BOMBED HOTEL IN EUROPE

Thankfully today, the only thing that gets bombed in this hotel now are the guests. With 2 excellent bars, that’s easy to do. The Europa is THE hotel to stay in and be seen at. When Royalty and Diplomats come here, this is where they stay. In my case, my job was kind enough to let me stay. So what is the history? It was opened in July 1971 and was clearly THE luxury hotel in Belfast. The proletarian IRA saw this as just about everything they didn’t like and promptly started setting off bombs in, out and nearby the hotel. Over 30 times they forced re-decorations. Fortunately that’s all they did.

Today it has been massively refurbished and redecorated, without any outside help, to a luxurious finish. The rooms are compact, but full of good things like supersoft beds, great monsoon showers and flat-screen TV’s. Yep, I have pictures of all that!

This 4-star hotel has 240 bedrooms, including the 56 Executive Suites. If you simply must work, you also get WiFi internet access.

Each room has:
International direct dial telephone
Room service available (7.00am - 2.00am)
Tea & coffee making facilities
Trouser presses or irons & ironing boards
Hair dryer
Laundry & dry-cleaning available
Fantastic soap & shampoos in your bathroom
Lots of huge fluffy white towels

Please note: The Gym facilities are elsewhere and keep short hours, ask for details

You get:
• A great nights sleep
• A fantastic buffet breakfast that will fill you up for the day
• You are in THE hotel!
• Great lounge bar that’s a real nightspot
• Free newspapers, magazines and maps in the lobby

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written January 25, 2008

THE GRAND HOTEL OF BELFAST

Stormont Hotel: very comfortable

Well out in the suburbs, and right by the government/parliament buildings.

Very comfortable, although I think I arrived in time to go to bed, and left after an early breakfast! Typical business travel.

It was also convenient for where my conference/exhibition took place.

Location - Stormont Castle would be on TV all the time back then, but could just as easily have have been on Mars. It was a bit weird to spend the night right there!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Business Travel
  • Written January 6, 2008

• hotsauce28 profile photo hotsauce28
  • Reviews: 52

Caldame Lodge: Top notch B&B

When I first booked, I thought it was a bit expensive considering it was a B&B.
When I got there, I was blown away. Clean, pretty and they've thought of everything you need from toothbrushes to bathrobes and they even offered candles! =)

Definately worth the money, $160.00 cdn per night (not person).

• Written June 25, 2007

• britesparkles profile photo britesparkles
  • Reviews: 11

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Europa Hotel - Belfast: Room with a view!

Only stayed here for a night as I only live 30 miles down the road! Excellent hotel, looks nice from the outside but even nicer on the inside! Rooms of a great standard! The Brasserie restaurant is delicious, the staff are very helpful and the live bands are fab craic!

Dedication of staff and friendly atmosphere! Situated close to the train station and bus station so easy accessability! Aircoach leaves you right outside the hotel!

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Singles