City Hotel

Queen's Quay, off Foyle Street, Derry, County Londonderry, BT48 7AS, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• DAO's Profile Photo

A GOOD CHOICE

I booked the City Hotel because it said on their website that it is on the River Foyle, that it has a brand new gym, an indoor swimming pool and that it was a short walk to all the important sights in Londonderry (Derry). And so it was! Upon my arrival I was greeted warmly and told where to park my car (for free!). I was already loving these folks when they explained all the nice things the hotel had to offer me. I had request a room on a high floor – and my room key for the 7th floor was produced. And my room would be facing the River Foyle! Well done reception people.

I can assure you I was in a great mood when I went upstairs. Opening my room door kept the smile on my face. Nice! The bed felt great! Yes! A good bed!!! My room had a very nice leather chair and desk to sit and view the river. My bathroom was modern and I even had a small elephant made from the towels. Very nice towels. Did I mention I like their towels? OK, I am hooping and hollering at this point and shouting “get in there” at the walls. I have driven all the way across Northern Ireland and had work in the morning. I knew I had a nice bed, a nice room, a hotel bar and that I would would find a nice restaurant nearby. Get in there!

I then changed clothes and made my way to the gym for a run. State of the art equipment! Get in there! Then I went for the pool for a swim in the heated indoor pool . The odd thing was they said I must have a swimming cap. OK. Not good. I was however allowed to borrow a used one. Not ideal, but Chlorine should kill and bugs. Other than that – a good soak. To top it all off, I had a nice soak in the Jacuzzi and a sweat in the steam room – because I could! Get in there! Maybe I need to change the title of this Hotel Tip!

Next it was diner and drinking, although it didn’t occur in that order. A quick pint in Coppin's Bar in the lobby and I was off and out. I had a good look at almost a dozen restaurants within 15 minutes of walking around and had a good meal along the way.

I then returned to my nice quiet room for sleep. Except there was a problem! Yes, someone had their TV turned up load. Very loud! Except I couldn’t find the room. I rang reception and they said they had no idea. Then the room began to vibrate. That’s when I asked if there was a party. Yes, there was a Wedding Reception/Party, but it was 4-5 floors below. I listened to the music until a new song started and dashed for the elevator. Guess what? Yep – it was the party music I could hear. Back up to the room and I telephoned reception. They explained it could go onto midnight. I told them I would accept 11pm as the next day was Monday and a work day for many people staying in the hotel.

Fair enough, the music went down at 11pm. I slept and went.

All in all a great stay. Just ask for a top floor room only and ask about weddings! Please note, they give discounts for booking early.

Unique Quality:

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
    • 158 rooms
    • Health & Fitness Club with indoor pool
    • Quiet
    • 5 minutes’ walk to bars, restaurants, city walls and all historical sites
    • Free car parking at Hotel (limited)
    • Free Wi fi internet access

• Free Wi-Fi
    • Coffee and Tea making facilities
    • TV with Freeview, hairdryer, trouser press, in-room safe, toiletries
    • Work desk
    • Some rooms have Air-conditioning (check with the hotel)
    • All non-smoking
    • Iron & Ironing Board (on request)

FACILITIES
    • Indoor pool, Jacuzzi, modern Gym/dance studio, sauna and steam room
    • Business Conference facilities (up to 450 people)

FOOD & DRINK
    • Thompson's Restaurant – Traditional and modern Irish Cuisine
    • Coppins Bar – entertainment during weekends

BUSINESS FACILITIES
    • 9 meetings & events rooms for up to 450
    • All rooms are air-conditioned and have natural light
    • Delegate rates start at £23 per day

More about City Hotel

Good Value for Money

by TripAdvisor Member Donalouise

We stayed at the City Hotel Derry for one night in September as part of our travels around Ireland. It is advertised as a 4 star property and we had little difficulty booking a midweek reservation on the day. When we arrived we were greeted by a less than enthusiastic receptionist. She was polite and efficient but lacked warmth (I am Irish and I think we can be quite fussy about this trait!)

We were given a standard room on the 6th Floor with no view. The room was clean, modern and comfortable and we had no complaints. We ordered room service and a very helpful and polite young man served us.

We were unable to secure a table in the hotel restaurant that night (a Tuesday) so we ate instead at the Exchange Hotel across the road - would highly recommend this. Very good contemporary food with a nicely varied menu. Their restaurant has a 'bar' feel to it and is relaxed and stylish.

Due to our late return we didn't bother with the breakfast the next morning but instead opted for a visit to the hotel's leisure centre. The pool is adequate but small and felt a little cramped with only 4 swimmers! There is a jacuzzi but no sauna. There is also a comprehensive gym and with friendly staff and complimentary refreshments the leisure centre nicely rounded off a pleasant stay.

very overrated

by TripAdvisor Member Corneilious101

Firstly this hotel is not a cheap hotel but the standard and service you receive is. The hotel is soulless. From the minute i stepped into the openplan hotel reception/bar/reastaurant/breakfast room i wanted to leave (i could not i had to wait 45 minutes for my room to be ready). I did not enjoy eating my overpriced dinner in full view of the reception area. To add to that the fact that there was only two guests in the restaurant and the two members of staff working and they could not bring me the right dish i asked for or even a menu when i asked for it was terrible. Also if you want to pay a lot of money for food and sit right next to the busiest roundabout in derry you must be mad. There is supposed to be satellite tv in the rooms but in actual fact you get BBC and various irish channels with CNN. Hardly a comprehensive satellite package.

The bed in the room was soft and lumpy and moved around a lot (i woke up in the middle of the right at almost a 45 degree angle from the wall with my pillows down the back of the bed, great. If you want to stay in a good hotel in derry stay at the Ramada along the road it is superior in every way and far better value for money.

City Hotel - Does the job

by TripAdvisor Member Halibut88

Pleasant and uninspiring hotel, which does the job. Clean and functional.

I didnt use the bar or eat at the restuarant other than for breakfast, which did the job.

Happy to stay here for business, but not where I would choose to stay for leisure. I would normally prefer something more characterful.

Good value for money

by TripAdvisor Member sonofagunn

The rooms in this hotel are very spacious. There is a large desk in the room where you can connect your laptop which makes a stay here perfect for those on business.

Bar and breakfast facilities are excellent and there is also a good gym and swimming pool.

Ask for a room with a view of the River Foyle and you get a spectacular view.

The rates at this hotel are very reasonable for what you get.

Ear Plugs required!

Nice hotel, good breakfast, clean etc but sound proofing is a major issue in this hotel. I stayed on the 5th floor but was still kept awake by the functions happening on the first floor, heaven help the people on the floors underneath me. If you are staying here make sure and ask for a room that is not directly above the function room, no matter what the floor number.

nice place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member wrc555

I stayed at the city hotel in derry at the start of June and really enjoyed my stay. This it has to be said was helped by the amazing weather for the duration of our stay!
The hotel itself is perfectly located within minutes walk of all shops and bars in the city

One other review mentioned the noise in the hotel - I didnt find this a problem at all and there was a wedding on the second night of my stay , however I was on the 5th floor and this may have helped. the only noise I heard was for another room as the walls are quite thin, but it didnt go on after bed time and so wasnt a problem

The food in the hotel was nice, although i think the resturant would benefit from being on the first floor as you do feel quite close to the road.
I thought the staff were friendly and helpful and I would recommend that if you can, to ask for a room with a river view as it is stunning!

the leisure centre is not bad, ive been in better, but also worse - it has a decent sized pool and steam room but no sauna.

Over all I would recommend the city hotel, convienent for business travelers and weekend city breaks alike, nice spacious rooms and good location

Management clearly lacking

by TripAdvisor Member Casarina

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for a two night break. The room we got was very good, clean and as it was an executive room had airconditioning and a mini-bar - and a lovely view of the harbour. The reception and restaurant staff at best were "indifferent" and at worst rude. The restaurant for breakfast and dinner is a definite no-no, not what you'd expect from a member of the Great Southern Hotels group. We were unable to get dinner for Sat night when booking at 2 pm that day, and with a struggle they agreed to 7 pm on the Sunday. when I phoned on the Sun to ask if we could put dinner back a half an hour was told without even a second's hesitate "impossible!". Not what you'd expect from the hospitality trade! The woman didn't even try and check to see! When we arrived on the dot of 7 pm, the restaurant was empty. There were up to 6 empty tables of 2 until we left at 9 pm......... They were turning people away. There wasn't one smile from any member of the ground floor staff. We nearly fell over when 2 (clearly non-nationals) of the cleaning staff smiled at us in the corridor of the hotel room end! I would not stay here again. No way. It doesn't cost anything to smile. It makes up for even the grottiest of hotels sometimes!

Great location!

by TripAdvisor Member AmyNNN

We stayed at City Hotel July 5-8th and had a wonderful time. When we checked in we were 1st given rooms without A/C but that was Expedia's fault and they quickly moved us.

The hotel is clean and modern with a great vib. Views along the river are great.!

Breakfast was great every morning.

The one problem is the parking gargage is frequently full. However we found that even when the sign is out that the garage is full there were spaces available so I don't think they check that often.

wonderful stay

by TripAdvisor Member Juliberrie

We stayed at the city hotel for three nights in september. We had travelled to Derry for a family wedding. We had not booked as we had intended to stay at another Hotel but on arrival the condition of said hotel was awful. We just walked in off the street at 10.30 pm. We had two rooms with wonderful river views and excellent facilities. Breakfast was thrown in, the food was outstanding and the staff pleasant and helpful. We look forward to our next visit.

Love Derry

by TripAdvisor Member Josephsexton

Hotel Simply Fantastic. Excellent Facilities & Staff all very helpful, had a great week end, and will be back to the City Hotel
many thanks
J P Sexton

Derry Bloody Sunday VictimsDerry Bloody Sunday Victims

Peadar'sPeadar's

Michael KellyMichael Kelly

Derry native Patsy O'Hara (r)Derry native Patsy O'Hara (r)

Comments