City Hotel

DAO's Profile Photo

A GOOD CHOICE

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 3, 2014

I booked the City Hotel because it said on their website that it is on the River Foyle, that it has a brand new gym, an indoor swimming pool and that it was a short walk to all the important sights in Londonderry (Derry). And so it was! Upon my arrival I was greeted warmly and told where to park my car (for free!). I was already loving these folks when they explained all the nice things the hotel had to offer me. I had request a room on a high floor – and my room key for the 7th floor was produced. And my room would be facing the River Foyle! Well done reception people.

I can assure you I was in a great mood when I went upstairs. Opening my room door kept the smile on my face. Nice! The bed felt great! Yes! A good bed!!! My room had a very nice leather chair and desk to sit and view the river. My bathroom was modern and I even had a small elephant made from the towels. Very nice towels. Did I mention I like their towels? OK, I am hooping and hollering at this point and shouting “get in there” at the walls. I have driven all the way across Northern Ireland and had work in the morning. I knew I had a nice bed, a nice room, a hotel bar and that I would would find a nice restaurant nearby. Get in there!

I then changed clothes and made my way to the gym for a run. State of the art equipment! Get in there! Then I went for the pool for a swim in the heated indoor pool . The odd thing was they said I must have a swimming cap. OK. Not good. I was however allowed to borrow a used one. Not ideal, but Chlorine should kill and bugs. Other than that – a good soak. To top it all off, I had a nice soak in the Jacuzzi and a sweat in the steam room – because I could! Get in there! Maybe I need to change the title of this Hotel Tip!

Next it was diner and drinking, although it didn’t occur in that order. A quick pint in Coppin's Bar in the lobby and I was off and out. I had a good look at almost a dozen restaurants within 15 minutes of walking around and had a good meal along the way.

I then returned to my nice quiet room for sleep. Except there was a problem! Yes, someone had their TV turned up load. Very loud! Except I couldn’t find the room. I rang reception and they said they had no idea. Then the room began to vibrate. That’s when I asked if there was a party. Yes, there was a Wedding Reception/Party, but it was 4-5 floors below. I listened to the music until a new song started and dashed for the elevator. Guess what? Yep – it was the party music I could hear. Back up to the room and I telephoned reception. They explained it could go onto midnight. I told them I would accept 11pm as the next day was Monday and a work day for many people staying in the hotel.

Fair enough, the music went down at 11pm. I slept and went.

All in all a great stay. Just ask for a top floor room only and ask about weddings! Please note, they give discounts for booking early.

Unique Quality:

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• 158 rooms
• Health & Fitness Club with indoor pool
• Quiet
• 5 minutes’ walk to bars, restaurants, city walls and all historical sites
• Free car parking at Hotel (limited)
• Free Wi fi internet access

• Free Wi-Fi
• Coffee and Tea making facilities
• TV with Freeview, hairdryer, trouser press, in-room safe, toiletries
• Work desk
• Some rooms have Air-conditioning (check with the hotel)
• All non-smoking
• Iron & Ironing Board (on request)

FACILITIES
• Indoor pool, Jacuzzi, modern Gym/dance studio, sauna and steam room
• Business Conference facilities (up to 450 people)

FOOD & DRINK
• Thompson's Restaurant – Traditional and modern Irish Cuisine
• Coppins Bar – entertainment during weekends

BUSINESS FACILITIES
• 9 meetings & events rooms for up to 450
• All rooms are air-conditioned and have natural light
• Delegate rates start at £23 per day

Nearby City Hotel

City Hotel

• City Hotel Derry

Address: Queen's Quay, off Foyle Street, Derry, County Londonderry, BT48 7AS, United Kingdom

5 Photos of City Hotel

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Derry/Londonderry Travel Forum

Need advice about Derry/Londonderry, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Derry/Londonderry and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Derry/Londonderry hotel reviews