41-53 Prehen Rd, Derry, County Londonderry, BT47 2NH, United Kingdom

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Everglades Hotel

Loverd the Everglades

by TripAdvisor Member MaireadHK

I found my stay very relaxing and I have already re-booked for another weekend in September!

The staff were very helpful and friendly. I noticed during my stay, a list of awards by the reception area. I believe that one of the receptionists had won an award for the Most Promising Receptionist of the Year. A great achievement for the young lady & a great asset to the hotel.

I found my bedroom to fresh and clean each day on my return and the room maids were very kind and cheerful. It was nice to be acknowledged by my name, each time I met a member of the staff. Not something that I have experienced before in any other hotel.

The breakfast had a wide range to select from and they even had bread for my husband who is coeliac. This was definately a 1st.

We ate in the bar on the first night and the restaurant on the 2nd night. I have to say that the food and service were 1st class on each evening. Both menus had a good range to choose from and the staff were very willing to make a recommendation. I though this showed confidence in the job and it was obvious to see that the staff had been well trained.

The free car parking is a big plus as some of the other hotels in the city do not offer this.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay and I would recommed this hotel to other travellers.

In need of refurbishment

by TripAdvisor Member Mrsheathershaw

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of a group touring Ireland. As is the norm for Ireland there was no air-conditioning but they did find a fan eventually. The hotel is situated between 2 main roads so the traffic noise was a problem. The public areas were tired and the carpets were definately a health and safety hazard as there were gaps you could easily trip over.Also the slope instead of steps does not comply to E.U. standards, and my mother nearly lost her balance. The bathroom towels were also of a poor quality. However the food was OK and the staff were helpful even if the duty manager had a hangover one morning. I get the feeling that this hotel is due to be taken over soon so no money is being invested in it at present.

Better than many people suggest

by TripAdvisor Member JohnMaynard

We went to Ireland on a similar package tour to that of your correspondent of June 24th, but our experience of the Everglades was entirely different. We had an excellent room, with CD player and Television, plus all towels etc., in place. We had excellent evening meals and were certainly not crammed onto tables for 14. We had a choice of several tables and these sat between 4 and 6. The food was excellent, with a very good menu choice and if you didn't like the desserts, staff would always bring you something else. The staff were all young, articulate and their service could not be faulted.

The same was true at breakfast. We only ever had hot food, a selection of local bread, croissants and fruit, ham and cheese. There was plenty to choose from and,again, excellent service. The reception area was smart, clean and with helpful, polite staff. Whilst it was true that the carpets elsewhere could do with renewing, we were puzzled that one review writer suggested that there was a sloping ramp in the hotel somewhere with no stairs. The only ramp we saw was for disabled access and there were carpeted stairs next to it.

It's all to do with perception, I suppose. Some of your reviews made us dread our visit to the Everglades, but we were pleasantly surprised.

Hotel was Great !!

by TripAdvisor Member marydoh

my husband and i stayed in the Everglades Hotel as we recieved vouchers as a present to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. i can tell you that all staff were very very pleasant and helpful. and i think that previous writers on this subject exaggerated their comments on the hotel! our meals were gorgeous and our room was just to perfection for the occasion we went for it was so romantic!
i would definitly reccommend this to you!

Enjoyed the hospitality and 'American' theme.

by TripAdvisor Member reporterbth

As part of a July, 2006, tour, I spent nights in seven hotels in the Republic and Northern Ireland. My experience at the Everglades, with its Florida Everglades theme and Satchmo Armstrong tribute area, was exceptional. It began at check-in time as a raucous wedding reception was taking place in the bar and some of the attendees introduced themselves to me and provided a little historical backdrop to the Derry area.

The Everglades' bar, dining rooms and reception area are well appointed and provide a relaxing atmosphere. My room was clean and, I might add, quiet, which is not the norm, regardless of where one spends time in hotels. The maids, desk service and other staff were friendly and helpful, even though they had a full house to attend to.

I've read some negative reviews for the Everglades, but I did not experience any of the problems that others did. To a person, our tour attendees loved Derry and the Everglades Hotel.

A fine hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jonathanhealy

The Everglades is a fine 4-star hotel on the edge of Derry city centre (about 2km or 25 minutes' walk from Strand St). We stayed for a two-night weekend break which included breakfast and one evening meal (each). The deal was excellent value. Our room was a good size with a very nice en suite and what can only be described as an ENORMOUS bed - certainly larger than a Kingsize! It was hugely comfortable. The 32" TV was also impressive, although the sofa and extra single bed cluttered the room a tad. The hotel has recently undergone a significant refurbishment and most rooms, and communal areas and hallways now look quite smart. The decor is traditional classic - this is not a boutique, minamalist hotel, but it looks smart in a slightly old-fashioned way. The reception area is quite attractive and the reception staff were, overall, quite helpful and courteous (we had to ask for towels on our second day as our room was not serviced; these were furnished immediately). The restaurant, while lacking an abundance of natural light, was comfortable and the food was excellent. The only quibble was the price of wine, which can only be described as exorbitant - the cheapest bottle of wine was £18 (€27). Service was friendly, although we did notice that the restaurant was decidedly under-staffed on the night we ate there. Overall, though, I would recommend the Everglades, especially on value-for-money.

An excellent touring base.

by TripAdvisor Member CoastTrekker

A quiet peacful hotel on the outskirts of the Walled City, room are bright, spacious and clean. Bar menus and breakfast can be hit and miss but makes an excellent base for touring the NorthWest.

Booked out!

by TripAdvisor Member gerardUnitedKingdom

Was due to be staying at this hotel, but when we arrived were informed we were being outbooked, understandably these things happen but I would have preferred to have been informed before i reached the hotel, was outbooked to the city hotel which was lovely and had a great central location and modern, but the everglades seemed to have a nice atmosphere even though I didnt have the opportunity to enjoy, will try and book here again, but will ensure booking is confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stephen the young manager on the desk was very helpful with our outbooking.

Quality Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member redds

i recently stayed at this hotel for a weekend break with my wife. we had an excellent stay. the hotel gives a feeling of warmth and comfort as soon as you enter, with the large open log fire at the reception area. Also the concirerge that greeted us was very pleasant. our room was of a high standard and very clean, the plasma TV was a nice touch. we ate in the bar on the first night and the restaurant the second, the food was beautiful and the staff excellent. i look forward to returning to the hotel very soon and would recommend it to anyone

Wonderful stay

by TripAdvisor Member IrishAussie

Had a wonderful stay at the Everglades last Friday. Hotel has been refurbished, and is lovely and fresh from the moment you walk through the front door. Rooms are quite spacious, with HUGE brand new beds (extremely comfortable) and large wall-mounted TV. Nice little touches
like the jar of sweets in the room. Good, strong shower. Lounge area is super, with fires for a nice, cosy feel. Staff are very helpful and
attentive. Would highly recommend the Everglades for a relaxing break at a very reasonable price.

Derry Death of InnocenceDerry Death of Innocence

The soldierThe soldier

Hugh GilmourHugh Gilmour

Mural to the 10 martyrs of the hunger strikeMural to the 10 martyrs of the hunger strike

Comments