Tower Hotel Derry

Butcher Street, Off the Diamond Road, Derry, County Londonderry, BT48 6HL, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• IRELANDETC's Profile Photo

Comfotable clean hotel

Spent a night in here in December 2007. Went to Derry for a function which was being held in the hotel.

Found the staff to be very helpful. When we arrived the small car park was closed due to a march being held in the city, but receptionist suggested an alternative. When the car park reopened she informed me and I was able to move my hired car into it.

The room was lovely, clean and very comfortable and the breakfast in the morning was excellent.

Unique Quality: Only guests with electronic room keys can use the lift to go up to the floors where the bedrooms were. Very good for security.

Directions: Beside the walls, close to nightlife and shopping

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

a decent hotel; good value, great location

This is a decent 4-star hotel in the dead-centre of Derry. It is the only hotel within the historic city walls, just off the Diamond.

The rooms were small (normal by European standards) and the en-suite bathroom complete. Service was friendly. The sound-proofing could have been better; we could occasionally hear noise from other rooms and the hallway, but it wasn't too bad.

Directions: If driving, the entrance to the car park is just to the north-west on the same side of the street as the hotel, just before the wall. Enter the one-way street the wrong way, then turn right again into the car park.

More about Tower Hotel Derry

Great hotel in brilliant location

by TripAdvisor Member MrsSRD

Booked this hotel at 1pm on the day - had booked the City of Derry Hotel through a booking site and received an email that morning to say they had no room!! Cue frantic phone calls and deep sighs of relief when the Tower said they had availability!! As we were travelling from Belfast, doing the coastal route and taking in the Carrick A Rede rope bridge and the giants causeway, we did not arrive at the hotel until 7pm. We were lucky in that there was a parking space left, and, although, tricky to find, it was good and secure.

The hotel itself is nice, clean, and the reception staff fantastic. Our room, while a bit basic for a four star hotel, was cosy and quite large. We quickly freshened up and set about finding a restaurant, whose name escapes me, but it was outside the city walls and the food was fab. We ended the night in Tracys bar - was a bit quiet as it was a Thursday night, but enjoyable nonetheless.

The breakfast in the hotel was beautiful - I would even go so far as to say it was the best full irish I've ever had in a hotel. Check out was 12 - and the hotel let us leave our bags (and car) while we explored the Bogside, which is right beside. Its quite something to walk around the area, having only ever seen it on the news. There is a museum of Free Derry in the Bogside which is well worth a visit, although harrowing.

All in all, our (brief) stay in Derry was fantastic, and I will return and stay in the Tower!

Great Location, One or two problems

by TripAdvisor Member chandlerbud

Just returned from a one night stay at the Tower hotel to celebrate my girlfriend’s birthday. First of all, a great plus for the hotel is its fantastic location just off the diamond but finding the hotel car park is another matter. We opted to park the car in a nearby multi-storey. Check in went quite smoothly but my first disappointment came when we arrived at out room to discover the bottle of champagne I had ordered as a surprise for my girlfriend was not there. I phoned reception only to be told they had run out!!!
The room itself was clean and spacious with a lovely view of the city walls and surrounding area. The bathroom was also clean but a word of warning -don’t forget to bring your own shampoo!
After a quick freshen up we left to go out for the night and arrived back after 2 am to find we were locked out and had to wait until the night porter wandered past to flash our room key. This was not a nice wait as it was blowin a gale outside.
We had a good nights sleep and did not notice any excess noise from outside. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were also very nice. Although there is no climate control in the rooms it was a very pleasant temperature.
Problems started again in the morning when I tried to shower but there was no hot water. I have stayed in a number of hotels and this has never been an issue. At the check out desk there were more problems. We had bar charges added on to our bill that we had not made and a room service charge. The receptionist removed the charges. Generally we found the staff just not very friendly and definitely not a four star or even a three star standard of service. The manager did apologise for the lack of champagne but I felt it was insincere.
We booked this hotel knowing that we would not be making use of the services – just as a place for somewhere to sleep after a night out with friends for my partner’s birthday. If you are looking for a hotel with a great buzz and a good range of amenities then I would not recommend this hotel.

Great Hotel, Great Location and Lovely Staff

by TripAdvisor Member CityScot

My Wife and I stayed in the Tower Hotel while attending a function held in the hotel. We arrived to find the car parked locked so no big deal. We parked locally at The Diamond as it was 7pm and plenty of space available.
Arrived at reception and were informed the car park was closed for security reasons as this was suggested by the police. There had been a march in the City that day. The receptionist said as soon as it was ok to open up we could put our car in.

We went to our room and found it spacious and clean with a massive bathroom, the room also had a 2 seater sofa, coffee table and 2 chairs as well as the usual desk, wardrobe Double bed and single bed. (we only booked a standard double room)

We got washed and changed and went downstairs for the function to be informed the car park was in the process of being opened. Car moved and we had piece of mind that car was safe and secure in off road car park at no extra cost.

After a great function we went to the bar (residents bar) with a few other friends who were staying over and staff were great again even though it was the wee small hours they were happy to serve.

Security Company at this hotel are friendly and professional and dealt with a serious problem in a very human way when others could have easily said "it's not our problem" The problem was a young girl who was worse for wear due to drinking too much and she got lost. All this on top of trying to ensure the smokers outside were either residents or guests in the hotel to ensure only the correct people were getting inside.

Off to bed. We slept like logs and then went for breakfast which was very good and dining room staff were really nice.

Back to room to get ready to check out and card wouldn't work. A member of the housekeeping team was there so she took our names, called reception to verify it was our room and let us in.

Checked out and to our surprise breakfast was included in bill. No hidden extras from bar just what we purchased (they can't take cash after 1am)

We will definately stay here again. By booking online and booking early we got a great deal and it was only a fraction more expensive than another "no frills" hotel located in the city.

Thanks for a great night.

Great Spot!

by TripAdvisor Member k1982

I stayed at the Tower Hotel on valentines day.
I was pleasantly suprised by the hotels appearance, the public areas really well looked after and clean. The reception area is really trendy and opulent, certainly not what I was expecting!
Our room had a great view of the city and was also clean and spacious. I would definately return to this hotel the staff are really friendly and the hotel has a great location.

Nice, basic hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ZiggyIreland

Stayed at this hotel for one night recently. Nice, basic hotel. Good location. good value for money. very little parking available though, so you need to get there early in the day.

Comments