Downs Road, Newcastle, County Down, BT33 0AH, United Kingdom

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Costs 48% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• DAO's Profile Photo

HOT AS HELL - AND THAT'S NOT THE SAUNA

So, expecting a wonderful review of this grand luxury hotel and its amazing £15 million refurbishment? Well either you have the wrong review, the wrong hotel or both. With that kind of money you would think they would have put in comfortable beds and air-conditioning. They didn’t. I couldn’t sleep due the heat in the room and the bad mattress. Even after I opened both windows to the partial extent physically allowed – I was hot. Only the mosquitoes came in, not a cool breeze. I don’t care how good your lobby, spa, bar and restaurant are – you go to a hotel (any hotel) to sleep!

Did I mention they have a great lobby, spa, bar and restaurant?

When I drove up to this imposing Victorian masterpiece I was really impressed. Outside this is a beautiful hotel. It sits right on the beach and looks right up to it’s namesake – Slieve Donard. Slieve Donard is the highest peak in Northern Ireland and the scenery is dramatic. Shame about my room.

On the plus side I would recommend spending a day here. The SPA and gym are awesome. Brand new, fully equipped and lots of creature comforts. They provide robes, great changing rooms, fantastic Jacuzzi, pool and steam room. The interior of the hotel is quite nice as well. I had breakfast here even though I was ‘room only’. They don’t do a lot of checks. The buffet is massive with everything from great tasting Irish bacon, sausages, many egg dishes and fresh fruit. The whisky with the oatmeal was my personal favourite. It certainly put a kick-start into my day.

Yes this is a great hotel by day. At night it is a different matter.

My room was more than £100 ($150+ US). It looked ok. Oldish bathroom with a big deep tub and some nice toiletries. 2 beds, mini-bar, a large closet, mirrors, TV, phone, desk, chairs and a table. Then I tried to go to sleep. The room was already hot. It was summer after all. I went to look for the thermostat. None found. I rand the desk and asked about changing the temperature. They knew I was asking for the heat to be put on. They told me to open a window. How thoughtful. I open both windows that opened on to the back of an annex. Blocking off useful things like views and wind. No air, no breeze, just sweat. And the mattress sucked. Both of them. Lumpy, uncomfortable. Terrible.

Had I known I could have booked into one of the nice B&B along the beach road just opposite the hotel. There were several. Instead I stumped up the extra money to get more comfort. Well I was short-changed.

My suggestion – find somewhere else and save the cash and have a good nights sleep. Do use the SPA. And have breakfast of course.

Unique Quality:

More about Slieve Donard Resort & Spa

Great location on the sea, fantastic!

by clarkkr79 about Slieve Donard Hotel

Stayed here only 1 night in Feb. to play golf at Royal County Down. Booked in advance about 2 months out and got rates about $180 US (not bad considering the exchange rate to the dollar)... This included a full breakfast the next morning of just about anything you could want, from fruit to blood sausage. Location was perfect and easy to find by rental car (if you survive the drive in down the coastal road). Check out was 12:00 but since we wouldent be done golfing until 1:30 or so asked if we could get out late, Michelle behind the desk said no problem.... Rooms were pretty standard, old style with newer amenities (flat screens etc.). Not much of a view from the rooms though, but really dident care as we were there 1 night. If you stay, check what time low tide is and look out the window or go outiside, at least when we where the Irish sea seemed to almost disappear.. Very cool

HOT AS HELL - AND THAT'S NOT THE SAUNA

by DAO about SLIEVE DONARD HOTEL

HOT ROOM - AND IT WASN'T THE SAUNA

by DAO about SLIEVE DONARD HOTEL - NORTHERN IRELAND

Lovely Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JJRENNES

we came over to ireland for a weekend and stayed at the Slieve Donard, we got a lovely large room with seaview.
I agree, there are builders everywhere but we have never been disturbed in any way.
Staff are very fiendly (eccept restaurant) and efficient esp. Bar Staff. We will come back next year and looking forward to it.
John and jane
France

Conference

by TripAdvisor Member murphstar

Went to a conference weekend over the 17-18th Nov 06 & must say that the Slieve Donard is brilliant!! The rooms are class i had a room to myself which made it even better, the bathroom was the size of a small bedroom alone!! The food was also excellent & i can't remcommend this hotel enough to anyone who is thinking about staying here!!

Staff are also excellent!!

Great hotel & had a great stay!!!

Joe

Co Armagh

Wow - Loved the spa!!

by TripAdvisor Member honeymooners8

My sister and i have just returned from a night's stay at the Slieve Donard where we enjoyed a full day at the spa.
We were impressed from the outset with the fantastic setting of the hotel and were equally impressed with the recent renovations that have taken place at the hotel and in particular at the spa.
We were fortunate to be in one of the newly renovated hotel rooms which was spacious and bright and offered amazing sea views. The complimentary robes, slippers and bottled water were nice touches.
We ate in the Percy French restaurant and to be honest this was the only down side of our weekend- the food was just plain boring and lacked any thought or imagination.

Now for the spa...well what can i say except fantastic!! As soon as we arrived we were made to feel at ease and we both found our therapists to be friendly yet professional. The facilities at the Slieve Donard are on a par with any of the 5star spas i have vsited before (if not better) - the sea views from the sauna and therapy pools are breathtaking.

Great weekend

by TripAdvisor Member LPMCC

Myself and 9 other family members stayed at the Slieve Donard the same weekend as the above reviewer and we had a great time! Our rooms were in the new section of the hotel and could not be faulted - huge, comfortable beds, lots of space in the room and great size of bathroom with super shower. (Only niggle was lack of wardrobe space - ok for a weekend but very small for 2 people for any longer) We ate in the main restaurant on Saturday night and the buffet was excellent. What a display of desserts!! The staff were unobtrusive, friendly and polite. The new spa complex is most impressive and we enjoyed our early morning swim and sitting in the jacuzzi looking out to sea and at the snowcapped Mournes, watching dawn break.
A great spot for a relaxing weekend - will definitely return!

Incompetent

by TripAdvisor Member MsMMS

I made the mistake of staying at the Slieve Donard on my wedding day. I traveled from the United States and spent two nights there--not at all what I expected from a "four-star" hotel. Supposedly, the hotel was going to arrange to have a car pick me up and take me to the location of my wedding. No car. Supposedly, they were going to have a steamer on hand so I could steam my wedding gown. No steamer. There was supposed to be a staff member on hand to assist me with my gown, so my husband would not see me before the wedding. No staff member.

No car, no steamer, NO HAIRDRYER, NO LIGHTING in the bathroom, no staff member, and NO WAKE-UP CALL!

With the excitement of our wedding day, we, fortunately, awoke before our "scheduled" wake-up call (again, a call wich never came).

The staff at the Donard is completely clueless, befuddled, and incompetent. I've never seen anything like it, and hopefully, never will again. I will never stay at this hotel, nor will I recommend it. If you're expecting four-star quality service or four-star food, check your expectations at the door. The food is bad, and the staff is just plain weird. Not recommended!

Hiking towards Slieve Donard

by Alain_Smeets

"Or how a hike can be an real adventure"

The next morning (Saturday 16th August) we used our last 6-Pound Sterling to get our picnic for later this day. When Dirk was doing the groceries, I was waiting for Zuzu to arrive at our hostel, not knowing that this will be the start of an extraordinary day. Zuzu and me were just discussing what to do in the Mourne Mountains, like just a walk through them or go for a hike up towards the highest of them, Slieve Donard (850 metres). In the Lonely Planet they talk about an easy hike towards this mountain. So when Dirk came back we decided to go to the summit of the Slieve Donard. There we have plans to spend the next night in Dundalk in Ireland, we will drive with two cars towards the Mourne Mountains. Zuzu is leading the way and in Newcaslte we stop at the tourist information office to get some information about the hike towards Slieve Donard.

There is a lady behind the counter and she said to Zuzu: "Did these guys force you to go with them?", "No" replied Zuzu. "Well I was thinking that because of your lipstick" said the lady behind the counter. Zuzu wondered what the lipstick has to do with her capabilities to go on a hike.

We got a good explanation; no we toughed we got a good explanation about the route to follow. She wrote the name of the route on the map and pointed us out were to start. We also get some more info about the secret valley and the scenic drive around the Mourne Mountains, all the things we want to do today.

We walked back to our cars and parked them on the main parking at the foot of the Slieve Donard and we are preparing ourselves to go on that hike. Putting on our mountain shoes, water and food in our backpack's and off we go. We are following the small river like the lady says and then we have to cross the bridge and follow that route that she mentioned, but it's not indicated there are several other walk leaving from that bridge and we are thinking that we have the good one to follow. Luckily for us we meet a couple with a more detailed map and indeed we wanted to follow the correct walk.

The trip starts slowly, it's going up as you can imagine, but Zuzu is not in her best hiking shape so we don't go to fast. The walk is following the river and once out of the forest we have great sights over the surrounding area. Once again we are blessed with the weather, it's unbelievable how much sunshine we already got during these 2 weeks in Ireland. Dirk is walking ahead of us and waits several times on us slower travellers, I stay with Zuzu and we have a good conversation while we walk slowly towards the more heavier part of the climb.

Zuzu hears and sees now and then some cheep and she can't resist taking pictures of these lovely creatures. Sheep be aware, next time she's wearing your coats. Haha. We see Dirk walking far ahead of us when he starts the heavy climb towards the saddle. It's going steep here, but luckily it's more easy walking due to the good and steady rock bottom, it are all steps. Zuzu is out of breath when we reach the saddle and Dirk is already disappeared towards the summit, he's waving to us so that we go up the correct mountain. We are standing in front that longest stonewall in Ireland and Zuzu wants to wait and take a rest, but Dirk has all our food and the flies are buzzing around our head and are taking some crash landings on our arms and clothes. So I press to go further and take a rest at the top.

This should be an easy walk they said in the tourist information office, just follow the wall to the summit. Yes, just follow that wall in the beginning is walking over grass and then we reach those places where one has steps, but on a lot of places these steps are washed away by rainfall. So we have to do some detours or heavier walking over loose rocks and those small stones. Again it will be a more difficult problem when we are going down. I already experienced these things in Coagh Patrick and Mount Errigal. But now it's time to look up and walk to that summit of the Slieve Donard. It's a hard nut that we have to crack. We talk to several people who are going downhill and they all talk about the beautiful sights from the top.

When we finally reach the summit, we lay down next to Dirk and we start on our late lunch. I guess it's around 2 hours and the trip up costs me 1 hour longer then normal, but who's complaining we have all the time in the world. The views from here are amazing; we even see the Scottish coastline far away. We enjoy our lunch picnic, bread with some slides of turkey meat or slides of chicken. Some nice water and some chips, pringles. Zuzu had bought some peaches just before we entered Newcastle and now we are having them as dessert. After the lunch we lay down and relax in the sun, but the time for taking pictures is also not forgotten and we still have to go downhill.

Read further in my travelogue Slieve Donard - what to do?

South to Slieve Donard and the Mourne MountainsSouth to Slieve Donard and the Mourne Mountains

• Jan 1, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Room to hot even after I turned the heating off and this was in the winter. Also all day and night there was a banging sound I reported it but it was never stopped and from 9:30 pm until 11:30 pm there was a guy singing it was so loud I could not think. I booked the stay for 4 days wish I stayed at home now. The food did not taste very nice and the Xmas dinner was tasteless. After getting home I got a call from the manager said I was smoking in the room this was a joke one more mark against them. I will never go back to this hotel again even if I got paid to do so. Room was 111 P.S I use a e-sig and told the guy this he did not believe me. Don't understand why the guy called me after all the bill was paid for after we left and even if I did smoke in the room what harm would it do.