Northern Ireland Hotels

Our Members Say

CITY HOTEL: A VERY (GOOD) DERRY HOTEL

I booked the City Hotel because it said on their website that it is on the River Foyle, that it has a brand new gym, an indoor swimming pool and that it was a short walk to all the important sights in Londonderry (Derry). And so it was! Upon my arrival I was greeted warmly and told where to park my car (for free!). I was already loving these folks when they explained all the nice things the hotel had to offer me. I had request a room on a high floor – and my room key for the 7th floor was produced. And my room would be facing the River Foyle! Well done reception people.

I can assure you I was in a great mood when I went upstairs. Opening my room door kept the smile on my face. Nice! The bed felt great! Yes! A good bed!!! My room had a very nice leather chair and desk to sit and view the river. My bathroom was modern and I even had a small elephant made from the towels. Very nice towels. Did I mention I like their towels? OK, I am hooping and hollering at this point and shouting “get in there” at the walls. I have driven all the way across Northern Ireland and had work in the morning. I knew I had a nice bed, a nice room, a hotel bar and that I would find a nice restaurant nearby. Get in there!

I then changed clothes and made my way to the gym for a run. State of the art equipment! Get in there! Then I went for the pool for a swim in the heated indoor pool . The odd thing was they said I must have a swimming cap. OK. Not good. I was however allowed to borrow a used one. Not ideal, but Chlorine should kill and bugs. Other than that – a good soak. To top it all off, I had a nice soak in the Jacuzzi and a sweat in the steam room – because I could! Get in there! Maybe I need to change the title of this Hotel Tip!

Next it was diner and drinking, although it didn’t occur in that order. A quick pint in Coppin's Bar in the lobby and I was off and out. I had a good look at almost a dozen restaurants within 15 minutes of walking around and had a good meal along the way.

I then returned to my nice quiet room for sleep. Except there was a problem! Yes, someone had their TV turned up load. Very loud! Except I couldn’t find the room. I rang reception and they said they had no idea. Then the room began to vibrate. That’s when I asked if there was a party. Yes, there was a Wedding Reception/Party, but it was 4-5 floors below. I listened to the music until a new song started and dashed for the elevator. Guess what? Yep – it was the party music I could hear. Back up to the room and I telephoned reception. They explained it could go onto midnight. I told them I would accept 11pm as the next day was Monday and a work day for many people staying in the hotel.

Fair enough, the music went down at 11pm. I slept and went.

All in all a great stay. Just ask for a top floor room only and ask about weddings! Please note, they give discounts for booking early.

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• 158 rooms
• Health & Fitness Club with indoor pool
• Quiet
• 5 minutes’ walk to bars, restaurants, city walls and all historical sites
• Free car parking at Hotel (limited)
• Free Wi fi internet access

• Free Wi-Fi
• Coffee and Tea making facilities
• TV with Freeview, hairdryer, trouser press, in-room safe, toiletries
• Work desk
• Some rooms have Air-conditioning (check with the hotel)
• All non-smoking
• Iron & Ironing Board (on request)

FACILITIES
• Indoor pool, Jacuzzi, modern Gym/dance studio, sauna and steam room
• Business Conference facilities (up to 450 people)

FOOD & DRINK
• Thompson's Restaurant – Traditional and modern Irish Cuisine
• Coppins Bar – entertainment during weekends

BUSINESS FACILITIES
• 9 meetings & events rooms for up to 450
• All rooms are air-conditioned and have natural light
• Delegate rates start at £23 per day

• Related to: Disabilities, Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written April 6, 2014

MY NICE ROOM

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

BELMORE COURT: MOTEL & HOTEL - GREAT CHOICE!

The Belmore Court and Motel is a great place to stay in Enniskillen. It’s actually 2 places in one. I booked the Belmore because I wanted to cook for myself and keep my business expenses down. In fact it was the first time I have ever seen accommodation advertised as a Motel in the UK. When I arrived I was offered an ‘upgrade’ to the Hotel part of the Belmore. I have to admit that the Hotel rooms looked so great, especially the bathrooms, that I temporarily forgot that I wanted to cook for myself. So I declined and was shown to the front building and the Motel side of the Belmore Court. The bedroom looked nice and had a comfy bed and an adjacent desk. The kitchen was small, but efficient. It had plenty of pots, pans, cutting knives, utensils and other appropriate gadgets. It also has a small stove top and over. It also had an iron and ironing board. The bathroom was modern, but plain.

I then set off to the very large grocery store nearby (open until 6pm Sundays and 24 hours most days) to collect my groceries. When I got back I found that the kitchen was sufficient to do the job. They had even left me with some washing-up liquid to clean up my dishes. The fridge was very good sized and I was able to enjoy some ice cold beer from it throughout.

I managed to have a nice sleep as it gets quiet at night in the area. The very effective black-out curtains did the job as well.

What most impresses me about the Belmore is that they followed up with me. They emailed and posted a questionnaire to me asking how they could improve and what I thought. They also let me know about the Christmas parties and meals they had. This is a very well run accommodation, offering something for everyone and serving with a smile. It’s also well located if you don’t mind a reasonable walk to all Enniskillen has to offer.

Because the Belmore is both a Motel and Hotel, I have divided the features by the separate accommodations on offer.

MOTEL ROOMS:
• Mini Kitchen (except the basic rooms)
• Full assortment of kitchen items
• Ensuite with towels and toiletries
• 30 minutes free Wi-Fi
• Desk
• Closet, iron, ironing board
• A 2-story suite for 6 people and full kitchen (telephone reservations only)
• Continental style breakfast

HOTEL ROOMS:
• Superior and Executive rooms and suites
• Very nice bathrooms
• Free Wi-Fi
• IPod docking station clock radio
• Coffee/tea facilities
• Ensuite
• 30 minutes free Wi-Fi
• Desk
• Closet, iron, ironing board
• Executive rooms have an ironing centre and Nespresso coffee machine
• Continental style breakfast

Belmore Court Facilities:
• Free car parking
• Business meeting facilities (up to 40 people)
• Free maps and local information (the staff are excellent!)
• Dinner packages for 4 nearby restaurants
• Free coffee in the lobby

• Related to: Road Trip, Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written August 19, 2012

BELMORE COURT - ENNISKILLEN

• eastenders88 profile photo eastenders88
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Linen House Hostel Belfast NI: Old,smelly,party house,rude desk chap

Desk chap was unprofessional and abusive to guests. First of all,our group was put off by the dodgy neighborhood the hostel was in.At night the street it's on is very dark,we gals did not feel safe at all after being out late.Broken glass everywhere,located next to a condemned building,very creepy indeed.Next off,our group realizes the hostel was busy,the lobby was packed with people and extremely noisey,(but the hostel manager,or at least he said he was),was very unprofessional,cursing,swearing where guests could hear it,we will not repeat what he said,but the words started with f@*k,repeatedly,we all know he was busy,but swearing in front of customers in any setting should be strictly forbidden,not professional at all!HE was was very short and gruff with us and to all the guests,just wanted to collect the money and get rid of us.Also his English was very bad,making it almost impossible to understand,heard other guests complaining the same that they could not understand him.Hostel ... desk chap was unprofessional and abusive to guests. First of all,our group was put off by the dodgy neighborhood the hostel was in.At night the street it's on is very dark,we gals did not feel safe at all after being out late.Broken glass everywhere,located next to a condemned building,very creepy indeed.Next off,our group realizes the hostel was busy,the lobby was packed with people and extremely noisey,(but the hostel manager,or at least he said he was),was very unprofessional,cursing,swearing where guests could hear it,we will not repeat what he said,but the words started with f@*k,repeatedly,we all know he was busy,but swearing in front of customers in any setting should be strictly forbidden,not professional at all!HE was was very short and gruff with us and to all the guests,just wanted to collect the money and get rid of us.Also his English was very bad,making it almost impossible to understand,heard other guests complaining the same that they could not understand him.Hostel was old,run-down,sheets didn't match,but were somewhat clean,kitchen was disgusting,we sure would not use it,the pans provided,well, we have seen better in a rubbish bin.Disgusting!But,it was cheap,we did not expect much,and that is exactly what we got,not much.We got little to no sleep at all!Party frat house atmosphere.When we went to manager to complain,we found him asleep in the lobby,very professional as well,or he was busy watching movies on his laptop to assist the guests.We will NOT return nor recommend it.

No frills, no extras,was reasonably close to city centre and shopping,was located in a bad neighborhood and on a very dark,dodgy street.We gals did not feel safe out at night! Located next door to a rather scary,condemned looking building,very dreary,depressing place.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Women's Travel, Singles, Budget Travel
  • Written April 19, 2011

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Belfast International Youth Hostel

I had booked my first two nights in Belfast at Vagabonds, but coming back in the end of my trip there was no female dorm available at Vagabonds, so I booked a female dorm at Belfast International Hostel instead. I made my bookings about a month ahead.

I booked a four-bed ensuite female dorm for £15.50 (March 2011). Breakfast is not included in that price, but there is a café, open in the mornings, downstairs.

The room was clean and so was the bathroom. There were lookers under the bed (you will need your own padlock) and bedside lamps for each bed. On the wall there was four hangers, but there were no chair or table to put things on. I stayed on the third floor and traffic noise could be heard. The first night it was quite cold, but I guess that was because I didn’t turn on the heater. Someone must have done that the next night, because it was not cold.

In the bathroom there was no place to put things, not even a hanger for a towel. The shower didn’t work, so I used one down the corridor instead.

On the second floor there is supposed to be a common room with TV and a library, but my card didn’t get me access to that floor. On the first floor (ground floor) there is an area with computers and a machine where you buy time for them. There is a café open in the mornings and a kitchen to use for guests. I kept my own breakfast in the kitchen, but there was no coffee or tea available for free as there is in most hostels, so in the morning I bought a coffee at the Causeway Café when it opened. A medium Coffee Americano was £1.60.

Belfast International hostel is situated just off Shaftesbury Square and it is not far from Europa Bus Centre, so the location is convenient. But it is too big and lacks character.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written April 18, 2011

Female dorm

Derry City Independent Hostel

It doesn’t take long to walk from the bus station to the hostel, but first I couldn’t find it. It turned out that the main building on Great James Street was closed for some time and only the second house on a quiet street round the corner was open. During the busy months this is where they usually have the private rooms.

I had booked a bed in a female dorm for £13 a night (March 2011). In the dorm there was one bunk bed and a single bed. As I was the first one to arrive I took the single bed by the window. There was a nice bedside table by my bed and in the room there was a lot of hangers. What I missed was a bedside lamp and lockers.

There was a clean bathroom on every floor and there was a living room with a computer to use for free and a TV and movies. Downstairs there was a big kitchen with a small garden outside. Breakfast was included in the price and the best with it was the baking machine. Coming down to the kitchen in the morning it smelled good of bread, and as I was the first one up in the morning I was the one taking the warm bread out of the machine. Besides the freshly baked bread, tea and coffee there was also cereals served for breakfast.

After checking in I got a map of Derry with some recommendations.

The hostel is taken care of very well and has a friendly atmosphere.

• Written April 17, 2011

Derry City Independent Hostel

Sheep Island View Hostel, Ballintoy

I had made a reservation about a month ahead via email and had booked a dorm bed for £15 per night. When I arrived, a Tuesday in the beginning of March, I was the only guest (but they had been fully booked at the weekend). Instead of a dorm bed I got my own room with a double bed and bathroom for the same price. The only bad thing was that the pressure of the water in the shower was low.

The hostel is very clean and there is a well equipped kitchen and a common room with a TV and a fireplace. No breakfast is served, but there is instant coffee, tea and products left by others available. I had brought things from Belfast to eat for breakfast and dinner as there is no store in Ballintoy, at least not off season.

Check-in time is between 16.00 and 20.00 but if you let the staff know that you will arrive earlier they will be there and let you in. I arrived with the bus 11.20 and one minute later I was at the hostel and soon after a woman appeared from the house by the road. I checked in to my room and was soon off to visit Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge.

I loved the location of the hostel in the small village of Ballintoy. It’s not far to walk to Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge or down to Ballintoy Harbour. The bus running along the causeway is stopping just outside and it is easy to visit Giant’s Causeway, Bushmills or Ballycastle from here. And near the hostel there are two pubs in the village.

• Written March 24, 2011

View from my window

Vagabonds hostel in Belfast

When I travel in Europe I often stay at hostels and I prefer a female dorm over a mixed dorm. When I, over a month before my trip, was making reservations for accommodation, four hostels in Belfast had female dorms. Vagabond seemed to be the best one, small and cosy with good reviews.

In the dorm there were six beds (three bunk beds). Each bed had a reading lamp and a locker underneath. For the locker you will need your own lock. On the wall there were lots of mirrors. And in the room it was not too hot or not too cold. There was a bathroom half a floor down and then three bathrooms with showers on the ground floor. The bathrooms were clean and there was never a queue to use them. There is also a small living room with sofas and a TV and DVD player, and films to watch. And there is a kitchen were you can cook your own food and were breakfast is served in the morning.

Breakfast is included in the price and is served from 8am, but it was available before that both mornings I stayed at the hostel. For breakfast there is coffee or tea, cereals with milk, toast with butter and jam and juice.

The hostel is situated in an old house with creaking stairs. One night there was a lot of running up and down, otherwise it was quiet. At the hostel there was always some incense burning and I think that the strong smell can be annoying to some.

There are two computers and to use them you have to put coins in a machine.

I paid £15 per night (February 2011).

• Written March 20, 2011

Dorm at Vagabonds

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

SLIEVE DONARD HOTEL: HOT AS HELL - AND THAT'S NOT THE SAUNA

So, expecting a wonderful review of this grand luxury hotel and its amazing £15 million refurbishment? Well either you have the wrong review, the wrong hotel or both. With that kind of money you would assume they would have invested in comfortable beds and air-conditioning. They didn’t! I couldn’t sleep due the heat in the room and the bad mattress. Even after I opened both windows to the partial extent physically allowed – I was hot. Only the mosquitoes came in, not a cool breeze. I don’t care how good your lobby, spa, bar and restaurant are – you go to a hotel (any hotel) to sleep!

Did I mention they have a great lobby, spa, bar and restaurant?

When I drove up to this imposing Victorian masterpiece I was really impressed. Outside this is a beautiful hotel. It sits right on the beach and looks right up to it’s namesake – Slieve Donard. Slieve Donard is the highest peak in Northern Ireland and the scenery is dramatic. Shame about my room.

On the plus side I would recommend spending a day here. The SPA and gym are awesome. Brand new, fully equipped and lots of creature comforts. They provide robes, great changing rooms, fantastic Jacuzzi, pool and steam room. The interior of the hotel is quite nice as well. I had breakfast here even though I was ‘room only’. They don’t do a lot of checks. The buffet is massive with everything from great tasting Irish bacon, sausages, many egg dishes and fresh fruit. The whisky with the oatmeal was my personal favourite. It certainly put a kick-start into my day.

Yes this is a great hotel by day. At night it is a different matter.

My room was more than £100 ($150+ US). It looked ok. Oldish bathroom with a big deep tub and some nice toiletries. 2 beds, mini-bar, a large closet, mirrors, TV, phone, desk, chairs and a table. Then I tried to go to sleep. The room was already hot. It was summer after all. I went to look for the thermostat. None found. I rand the desk and asked about changing the temperature. They knew I was asking for the heat to be put on. They told me to open a window. How thoughtful. I open both windows that opened on to the back of an annex. Blocking off useful things like views and wind. No air, no breeze, just sweat. And the mattress sucked. Both of them. Lumpy, uncomfortable. Terrible.

Had I known I could have booked into one of the nice B&B along the beach road just opposite the hotel. There were several. Instead I stumped up the extra money to get more comfort. Well I was short-changed.

My suggestion – find somewhere else and save the cash and have a good nights sleep. Do use the SPA. And have breakfast of course.

• Dramatic location and gardens next to the Mourne Mountains and the sea
• Great history with a small (free) museum room
• Excellent breakfast buffet
• Free newspapers in the lobby
• Excellent modern SPA and gym facilities
• A great looking bar for coffee or a nice pint of Gunniess
• Great location for a wedding reception or business meeting

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Spa and Resort, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written November 26, 2010

SLIEVE DONARD HOTEL - NEWCASTLE

EUROPA HOTEL (BELFAST): THE MOST BOMBED HOTEL IN EUROPE

Thankfully today, the only thing that gets bombed in this hotel now are the guests in the bar. With 2 excellent bars, that’s easy to do. The Europa is THE hotel to stay in and be seen at in Northern Ireland. When Royalty and Diplomats come here, this is where they stay. In my case, my job was kind enough to let me stay. So what is the history? It was opened in July 1971 and was clearly THE luxury hotel in Belfast. The proletarian IRA saw this as just about everything they didn’t like and promptly started setting off bombs in, out and nearby the hotel. Over 30 times they forced redecorations. Fortunately that’s all they did.

Today it has been massively refurbished and redecorated, without any outside help, to a luxurious finish. The rooms are compact, but full of good things like supersoft beds, great monsoon showers and flat-screen TV’s. Yep, I have pictures of all that!

This 4-star hotel has 240 bedrooms, including the 56 Executive Suites. If you simply must work, you also get WiFi internet access.

Each room has:
International direct dial telephone
Room service available (7.00am - 2.00am)
Tea & coffee making facilities
Trouser presses or irons & ironing boards
Hair dryer
Laundry & dry-cleaning available
Fantastic soap & shampoos in your bathroom
Lots of huge fluffy white towels

Please note: The Gym facilities are elsewhere and keep short hours, ask for details

You get:
• A great nights sleep
• A fantastic buffet breakfast that will fill you up for the day
• You are in THE hotel!
• Great lounge bar that’s a real nightspot
• Free newspapers, magazines and maps in the lobby

• Related to: Luxury Travel, Business Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written October 5, 2010

MY AWESOME BED

The Parador Guesthouse: Guesthouse close to City Centre

I've never stayed at The Parador due to living in the City already. However, I'm very familiar with it and would recommend a stay there. The rooms are cleaned each day, there are tea and coffee facilities and various sizes of rooms. The owner, Pete is a gem- an absolute character and keen to befriend! You get what you pay for, it has basic ammenities but is clean. For me, cleanliness is important and if you're looking for somewhere that isn't necessarily luxurious, this is a good place to stay. They also serve food downstairs in the bar- very yummy potato wedges/chips, I'd recommend them!

Not in the busy city centre but close enough for you to hop on a bus and be at queens university within 5 minute or the city centre within 10 mins. It's also got very friendly staff

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Singles, Study Abroad, Budget Travel
  • Written October 11, 2009
Tip Photo

• sourbugger profile photo sourbugger
  • Reviews: 2922

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Culloden resort: Leading five star place

This five-star hotel stands just outside Holywood, about six miles out of the Centre of Belfast on the way to Bangor.

It certainly earns it's five star status with good facilities, views over the city, fine dining and all the works you would expect.

The core of the hotel is the former Bishops' Palace. It was good of him to live in such humble surroundings, with sixteen bedrooms, nine reception rooms and a ballroom looking down over the great unwashed of East Belfast.

The hotel builds on this sense of history with it's rather corny strapline on 'Built for a Bishop, fit for a king'. Despite this appauling line the hotel manages to pull of the rather neat trick of being luxurious without being ostentatious.

A superb breakfast, with little touches that I approved of : a free shot of a whiskey to add to your morning porridge, for example.

The 'North Down' musuli was also good, despite the fact that nobody had heard of musuli in Belast until about six years ago. So quite how they can claim it some local hand-made delicacy is way beyond my ken.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Written November 1, 2008

Wellington Park Hotel: Wellington Park Hotel

The Mooney family run many hotels and pubs around Belfast and also own this hotel. Like any hotel in Belfast, I haven't stayed in it (I live here so I have no need to). However, I can tell you that it is a well known hotel and is reputable. It is described on it's website as renowned for its state-of-the-art conference and business centre as well as its trendy Arts Café lounge, elegant restaurant and spacious bedrooms. Very close to motorways and the main roads. Also situated in the main university area of Belfast (which is just over a 5 minute walk from the main city centre)

Local Car Hire

• Written March 9, 2008

• clarkkr79 profile photo clarkkr79
  • Reviews: 4

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Slieve Donard Hotel: Great location on the sea, fantastic!

Stayed here only 1 night in Feb. to play golf at Royal County Down. Booked in advance about 2 months out and got rates about $180 US (not bad considering the exchange rate to the dollar)... This included a full breakfast the next morning of just about anything you could want, from fruit to blood sausage. Location was perfect and easy to find by rental car (if you survive the drive in down the coastal road). Check out was 12:00 but since we wouldent be done golfing until 1:30 or so asked if we could get out late, Michelle behind the desk said no problem.... Rooms were pretty standard, old style with newer amenities (flat screens etc.). Not much of a view from the rooms though, but really dident care as we were there 1 night. If you stay, check what time low tide is and look out the window or go outiside, at least when we where the Irish sea seemed to almost disappear.. Very cool

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written February 18, 2008

Beechlawn Hotel: Just out of the City

The Beechlawn Hotel is located in a friendly community and situated near to a train station too. The hotel itself is lovely and has excellent food- many locals go here to eat Sunday Lunch. Personally I have never stayed here, however I've been there several times for events and lunches and have always enjoyed the hotel. It is situated beside a shopping centre (Tesco) and is close to garages, local shops and places for a quick (and cheap!) lunch. Try Loafers the sandwich place or Crumbs- they're both cheap and very tasty. As for the train, the hotel will point you in the right direction however it's around a 2 minute walk from the hotel and will take you into Belfast city centre within ten minutes. For students it costs £9 for a weekly ticket, or £2.60 for a day return. Adults prices are slightly more (not much though!) and kids under 5 are free. Bus services also run from Dunmurry, are slightly cheaper but take a bit longer! Up to you.

Close to some of the most prestigious golf courses, conference suites, function rooms, multi media suit, Complimentary wireless access. Car hire arrangements available on request, Car parking available on hotel grounds.

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Seniors
  • Written February 2, 2008

Belfast City Apartments: On a shoestring

Personally I haven't stayed here as I live in Belfast but the local magazines and review guides give top ratings. If you're visiting my city on a shoestrong, this will give you your creature comforts at a reasonable price.

Widescreen TV's, DVD, wireless broadband, secure parking. £135 per day or £935 per week and the apartments sleep up to 4 people. They're also within walking distance of the best bars, restaurants, clubs and shops or if you're a bit of a wizz in the kitchen- do your own cooking and stick to a tighter budget while you're at it! Right beside the Albert clock and the river lagan!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average