Otterburn Hall Hotel

Satisfaction Average

More about Otterburn Hall Hotel

Hated Otterburn Hall Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member kitvalentine

I'm not going to mince my words.

Room lovely. Water boiling hot that it could burn someone.
Grounds and overall view nice.
Staff - Friendly enough.
FOOD - Terrible, disgusting, expensive, very limited range, wine awful, bar awful.

Advice - avoid like the plaque if your wanting a romantic getaway, its all about getting glammed up in the evening and going down to the restuarant for a meal. We booked for two nights, we stayed one night as the food was that bad and there were no pubs within walking distance or didnt serve food!

Otterburn is a very dull and depressing place.

Would NOT Recommend Otterburn Hall Hotel it was like CARRY ON FAULTY TOWERS!

by TripAdvisor Member 2705gemini

Date of Stay: 20th March 2009

Purpose of trip: One night stay as part of a group of 11 people as we were involved with the Brick and Steel 205 Ecosse Challenge - (Brick and Steel Border Counties Rally at Jedburgh). We tried to get accommodation elsewhere first but most places were fully booked due to the rally event over the weekend.

The accommodation was generously funded by the guy who runs the rally team which I was servicing for. The cost included breakfast but the hotel staff were not willing to accommodate our group by making us a cooked breakfast the following morning as we were to be up sharp for an early start - (the best they could do was continental) - wasn't even that early, we arrived for breakfast at 7.30am. Breakfast was the usual continental set up. I'll come back to breakfast further down the page as it gets unbelievable!

I'll start from when we arrived:

As we were in a group of 11, some of the group arrived early and made it on time for a meal/snacks of which quality did not reflect the price as the food was quite poor. Then the rest of us Arrived about 10.15pm.

The place looked fantastic, the building, gardens and surrounding areas all lit up.

We signed in, dropped our luggage in our rooms and headed to the bar approx 10.30pm.

We ordered up a round of drinks, most of which were slightly flat, I had a fosters.

My mate had a strongbow which was extremely flat!

He went to return it only to find out the barrel needed changing and the barman (quite a young orange headed guy/boy) didn't know how to do this so he phoned up his boss to get instructions on how to do so. My mate eventually got a fresh pint which wasn't flat.

After my fosters I went on to drink bottled magners (in a pint glass with ice of course!) as did my mate and my dad. The rest of the night in the bar went well, the only annoying thing being the barman/boy. He thought he was something, zipping about trying to get our order as fast as he could (not a bad thing) but he was dropping things and hitting glasses when trying to fill with ice, flipping the bottle opener unsuccessfully before opening each bottle. This continued til we left the bar about 1.30am.

Next morning we meet for breakfast to be told by one of our group that he discovered ants all over his bed when packing his luggage before coming round for breakfast. The guy he was sharing the room with said they were all crawling about the sink aswell.

We were all seated for breakfast having cereal and awaiting toast, tea & coffe etc when a young waiter came out with the coffee, he had 2 coffee pots on the one tray, and was making it look like he was carrying an elephant along a tight rope! my dad asked if he was managing ok, to which he replied yes - only to immediately lift one pot from the tray, unbalancing it in the process, resulting in him dropping the tray with the remaining pot over one of our members! I was in astonishment to see this unfold in front of me!

Toast was as thin as a bible page, cheap bottom of the range white and brown bread.

Luckily our group member did not receive any degree of burns! And the mess was cleared by the young barman from the previous night! Who seemed to be in charge at this point, saying "this is all I need"! He then proceeded to apologise for what had happend then apologised for the fact that we had not yet received any toast saying "sorry about the wait for toast, young paddy has burnt the first lot!

It was like FAULTY TOWERS COMBINED WITH A CARRY ON FILM!

No one in our group moaned to the staff or complained about any of the above as we had to get back to jedburgh sharpish to prepare for the rally and had no time for the hassle.

That is why I'm writting this review now.

Please don't spend money going here, not even for one night as it's not worth it.

And ceratinly don't get married here if thats what its like on a one night stay!

Yes, it looks the part but you would definetely have a better stay in a travel lodge/holiday inn or even a local B&B with better service no doubt too and at a fraction of the cost.

Did I mention that the Power Shower in the rooms were cold? - Well they were cold and I don't care much for a cold shower, but I did use it as needs must.

Thanks for reading my review, hope it is of good use and help.

beautiful building

by TripAdvisor Member elizabeth002

We stayed at Otterburn hall for a birthday treat and we were a bit worried after reading some reviews from previous guests,however we had a wonderful time this is a beautiful building with lovely countryside on it`s doorstep, our room was amazing with a lovely jacuzzi bath, the staff could not have been nicer, we had a meal in the restaurant which was not the best i have had but was good value for money at £22.50 per head for three courses, the bar was also reasonably priced the only negative thing was it was very quiet only two of us in the restaurant but this is January on a Monday night. Will definately go back hopefully in the better weather

Be prepared to be let down.

by TripAdvisor Member BG

In August 2008 my wife and I spent two nights at this hotel and enjoyed it so much that before leaving, booked a further two nights stay in December to celebrate our 35th Wedding Anniversary. Today, 13 days before we were due to stay at the hotel we received a telephone call from the hotel telling us that they were canceling our booking, as the hotel will be closed on the dates of our stay. I was furious and asked for an explanation and was told that the staff at the hotel had only been told today of the closure but that they could give us the telephone numbers of other accommodation in and around the area of their hotel. I telephoned the Angel Group Head Office who own the hotel and all they could say was "SORRY". So BEWARE, if you want to be disappointed in a big way, just book a stay at the Otterburn Hall Hotel. Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not what we expected, staff lacking organisation.

by TripAdvisor Member mayfield005

Stayed at Otterburn Hall in November. Arrived about 5.30pm, Impressive driveway lights up to the car park. Assumed the reception was within the car park area as no signs to indicate when you got out of the car and quite dark. Checked in, went to room. Small room, looking a bit jaded even though it was supposed to be a refurbished room. No heating on in hallway or room, absolutely freezing. Fiddled with radiator and got heating working. Unpacked and went into bathroom for shower, no hot water, had to run shower for 13 mins before luke warm water came through to have shower. When my wife came to dry her hair there was not a plug beside the fixed mirror for her hairdryer so she had to dry it in front of her compact mirror. Who thought of that one when they were refurbishing the rooms? We were there for an occasion in the outside Marque which when we entered we realised why everyone was sitting with their coats on, no heating. At midnight went to lounge bar for nightcap and were told they were not taking cash and drinks had to be billed to your credit card. At breakfast we were seated by the waitress at a table that was not set and had to find someone to set the table and find out what the procedure was for breakfast. It seemed to me that the staff did not know either as some people were helping themselves at the hot plate then the staff were dishing it out. When we went for the hot breakfast we did not have a choice of eggs and were told that fried eggs are all they do, not good for a 4 star hotel. Fresh juice ran out and had to wait for warm juice to arrive. Didn't like to ask for brown sauce, it seemed like it was too much trouble. I have to say I've had better service and breakfasts in 2,3 star guest houses.
Overall: Overated, jaded rooms and hallways, better supervision in breakfast room required, 2hr drive and no hot water for a shower, no heating in room on arrival or in Marque (It is November), poor choice for breakfast.
Would I stay here again? Only if they get their act together!

Gorgeous break

by TripAdvisor Member joanne34

We have just returned from a night's stay at the Otterburn Hall Hotel. After reading the reviews here, we were sceptical of what we would find but went with an open mind. We saw the cheap £49 B&B deal on their website and called direct to book. Very pleasant woman took our booking and gave us an option of rooms, and we selected room 25 facing out the front of the Main Hall building.
When we arrived (gorgeous decor and surroundings even on a grey day!) we were welcomed by friendly efficient staff and shown to our room - WOW! what a nice surprise! The room was spotless, the double jacuzzi bath looked great - all in all couldn't believe how nice it was for the price!!
Unlike the other reviews we had no problems with hot water or TV - everything worked as expected.
Dinner was good - not the best we've ever had but good value at £22.50 per head for 3 courses, and wine not a rip off. Duck confit to start which was very good, roast pork good (and not dry!), and sticky toffee and apple crumble delicious!

Harry's Bar nothing exciting......but again prices not a rip off.

Overall a very enjoyable relaxing stay and would definitely recommend a visit (esp if you ask for room 25!) - especially with the good winter rate offers on.
We will be back for sure and would recommend it to anyone.

Beautiful venue .... but disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member hedleys

We booked a one night stay at Otterburn Hall via the hotel's website, taking advantage of their Winter Special of a deluxe room in the main house for £49.

On arrival, we had trouble finding the reception as this was not signposted. The check in was well organised and we were taken to our rooms by the Receptionist.

Our room was small and boiling hot. There was no toilet roll in the room, so we called Reception. Someone came up later with a box of tissues. We had to ask for a second time and finally got a proper toilet roll.

The website showed a dining menu of choice - list of starters, mains and desserts all individually priced, but on booking a table it was a set 3 course meal with 4 choices for each course. And £25. We both opted for a pork dish with coarse mustard sauce. The coarse mustard wasn't just in the sauce - it was in the bed of mash that came with the pork and it totally overpowered the entire course. We heard several other guests complain about this also. The staff, whilst very friendly, were over attentive and not very knowledgeable about the different courses.

The biggest disappointment for us was the shower in the room. There was a large shower head which didn't fit within the shower cubicle and instead flooded the bathroom floor. The temperature of the water of both the shower and the sink were scalding hot - dangerously so - and we couldn't get any cold water from the cold water tap. We raised this issue with the Reception as we couldn't even get washed in the morning - we were told that they had moved another guest 4 times the evening before because of the same problem, but weren't offered any solution to our problem.

On getting home, I checked our booking and our room - we had in fact been given a standard room instead of the deluxe we'd ordered.

It's a beautiful venue with real potential to be something - but the attention to detail and the want to fix customer problems leaves a lot to be desired.

spoilt our romantic break

by TripAdvisor Member jamdodger

We booked our reservation at Otterburn Hall Hotel on December 10 through www.lastminute.com's website. We paid £49 for the room which was to include a jacuzzi bath and included breakfast. We checked their own website and found that it was the same price - A Christmas break special price. We arrived at 2.55 to be told that there was no reservation for us and then told that we would have to wait while they got us another room ready. They were trying to be helpful, but at the same time removing any responsibility from themselves and blaming it on Lastminute.com. We eventually got a room at 3.40 and it overlooked a roof top and a burning bin, which was obviously used to burn rubbish all day as it stunk, which prevented us having the window open. A wizzened and bruised apple and orange, which looked months old sat in a fruit bowl looking very unappetising indeed. The Jacuzzi bath that we had booked wasn't available so we ended up with a basic one. Trying to make the most of it we ran a bubble bath. The cold water tap gave out hot water as well as the hot tap and even the toilet flushed with scolding hot water. We reported this to reception and a maintenance guy came in to fix the problem. He said that the plumbing had been put in by Polish people and hadn't worked right for months. We thought he had fixed the problem, so again tried to run a bath. The same thing happened again and by this time we just decided to forget the long soak as it wasn't worth the effort. The information said we could book dinner up to 9.30 - so we rang to reserve a table for 9 only to be told that they stopped serving by 8.30. We opted for that and went down to dinner. Starters were fine, I had smoked salmon and my husband chose pate. Main course was Otterburn Beef, which I asked for rare and Roast pork. When this arrived the beef was reheated roast beef, well done and clearly been warmed up in the microwave as the gravy had stuck to the sides. The Yorkshire pudding was soggy, again like it had been microwaved and burnt on one side. My husbands pork was dry as old boots and looked very unappetising. We sent them both back and was offered a sandwich or desserts. We chose the cheese and biscuits and sticky toffee pudding. The cheese was a generous and fresh selection however the pudding was rock hard on the outside and soggy in the middle. We gave the dinner a miss and went to bed. They had offered us the wine free as a recompense for the mix up with the booking. Next morning breakfast was a poor effort too, bacon cooked within an inch of its life on one side and roar on the other. Juice, milk, cereals etc cleared away before we had finished dining and a feeling that we were in the way. The place itself is beautiful, staff are overworked yet friendly but it's a disaster when it comes to actual service. There were several people complaining whilst we were in the restaurant and we could see why. We wouldn't go back and certainly wouldn't recommend this place to any of our friends.

It felt special

by TripAdvisor Member berylcmmngs

I contacted the hotel to see if there were and special offers on at the moment in time. Unfortunately there was not but the lady was very helpful and offered me a excellent room at a reasonable rate. I arrived to be greeted by a well staffed reception although it was a little hard to find. I was checked in and taken to my room which had a lovely 4poster bed and an excellent view of the gardens.

We booked dinner in the restaurant which was a little quiet compared to what we expected but it meant we were given extra attention by the waiters. There was a selection of food on offer and I went for the lamb and my partner went for the beef as it was advertised as being off their own farm. The lamb was delicious and it came with a freshly made yorkshire pudding which was out of this world.

For desert I had a chocolate moose in a little pot. when it arrived I was not at all happy because it was so small but when I started eating my mind soon changed. It was rich in taste and the small pot made it just enough to enjoy but not enough to make you feel sickly.

After dinner we went to the bar with a varied level of drinks available and the barman offered to make anything we wanted as long as he had the ingredients. He couldn't make Irish coffee's very well considering he was Irish.

The bed was comfortable but you could hear the hotel itself moaning with the wind outside. It was ok though because the pillows were as fluffy as marshmellows and the heat kept you warm.

The follwoing morning for breakfast was very nice, the waiter was very helpful and did his best to look after us although he was a little busy as it seemed most people came down for breakfast around the same time.

Overall I was very happy with the level of serivce and thought I should say something as it only seems to be bad reviews on here but their guest book has excellent comments. I would go back in a heartbeat if I could convince the otherhalf to drive back up.

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member mrrjmclachlan

We stayed at the Otterburn whilst travelling home to England after our wedding. We loved it.
We had a lovely double room in the old part of the hotel with a jacuzzi bath in the corner, we thought this was great fun, only problem with it was the low water pressure which meant it took about half an hour to fill up. We shared the water to avoid having to refill it ;-)
One other niggle was the fact that the toilet was only seperated from the bedroom by a bead curtain, not very romantic! Those two comments are my only negative ones are about Otterburn.
We ate in the restaurant from a set menu for £25. I had Chicken Liver Pate, Steak Suet Pudding and Bread and Butter Pud. If, like me, you like simple, honest wholesome food this is for you , I loved it. We had a bottle of red which was very drinkable.
After dinner we had a couple of drinks in the bar which was very, very quiet but nicely done.
The staff were very friendly and curteous.
The hotel itself has a lovely building and very nicely kept.
Overall we had a great stay and I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet, romantic stay.

Comments