Portloe, Portloe, TR2 5RD, United Kingdom
The Lugger Hotel
Expedia.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

More about Lugger Hotel

We had a very nice stay - the location is fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member bpd_iii

We spent the long weekend at the Lugger Hotel and all-in-all we had a very nice stay. The location is fanatastic for a summer break. I suspect there are some great walks and other things to do around the area but we opted for a very lazy stay.

Our room rate of £270 a night included breafast and 3-course dinner and the food was very good. The wine list was extensive and expensive but if you trawled through it there were some very nice new-world wines to be had for relatively reasonable prices. The service was generally very good which we were very pleased about as some reviews have been scathing when it comes to the service.

We loved the Ship Inn (the only pub in the village and just a stone's throw from the hotel). They had a very nice menu and the place had a lovely atmosphere especially as we had good weather and there is a nice little beer garden.

Lets face it, these reviews are only useful if you point out the bad bits so here we go:

1 our standard room was comfortable and clean but very small - one of the smallest rooms I've stayed in outside NY. We were a little shocked to start with but by the end had come to consider it "cosy"

2 the bar in the hotel (I mean the actual bar - not the area) looks like it was a flat pack from Ikea. Very tacky given the quality throughout the rest of the place. Head to an auction and buy a nice old one for goodness sake...

3 in the bar again - when pouring wine by the glass the staff used one of those metal measuring cups (a larger version of the one used for spirits) before pouring the wine into the glass! An expensive boutique hotel should employ staff who are able to judge by sight the appropriate amount of wine (and spirits for that matter) to pour in a glass. This awful sight left me feeling that despite the amount I was paying to stay there, they were concerned not to give me one drop more wine than I had paid for and that the awful, money hungry underbelly of the hotel had been exposed. Needless to say I found this very tacky - but it's an easy fix

Aside from these 3 minor things we found the Lugger to be enjoyable and relaxing, albeit quite expensive. We're lucky enough to be able to afford a place like this but I expect if you had been saving up for some time for a luxurious 5 star short holiday you might come away a little disappointed.

Celeb spotting!

by TripAdvisor Member jazmell

My partner and I stayed bcak in May and thought the place was very worthy of the hype it has received over the years. The staff were a credit to the management team who were always on hand to offer advice on the best walks and places to visit. Added bonus was seeing Morrissey! he stayed there for a couple of nights for his birthday. Nice guy! the fact people like him choose tostay there says all you really need to know. A unique and beautiful place to stay - off the tourist track.

Charming but amateur

by TripAdvisor Member Shellfire

The Luggger is in a delightful and peaceful village - only two fishing boats in a very small harbour right beneath the main building. Many of the rooms don't have much of a view so if you are expecting one prepare to be disappointed. It's extremely expensive so expectations run high. The staff on the whole are charming, largely foreign and very willing. The management are simply not on top of things. We stayed in Room 401, the cottage, for 7 nights and so feel we know it quite well. On arrival, with heavy bags, we had to ask for help to get our things from the car park up and down a large number of stone steps. This was just the beginning. We felt we were running the hotel by the end of our trip - no-one seemed to be in charge. Several light bulbs were not working, and the shaver socket was still not functioning by the time we left. The bed was a queen size, the pillows were well past their best, the valance kept falling off and there was a very strange smell in the chest of drawers + there was a vacuum cleaner in the hanging cupboard. I thought that I'd left that particular chore behind. The location was lovely and sitting on the terrace watching the activity on the coastal path and down on the water was wonderful (we had great weather). Breakfast was delivered very willingly, but just dumped on trays on the terrace - no attempt to lay it out - and was a bit hit and miss. Flowers that were alive on our arrival were left dead by day 4 and not replaced and only removed when I suggested it. A similar problem with sour milk in the fridge. We were paying top city prices and receiving far from top service. What is so ridiculous is that the ingredients for a really superb small hotel are all in place, it's simply needs close managing. The food was very good, the staff in the dining room pleasantly atttentive. The spa, however, is hideously expensive - a pedicure cost £55, took ages and was hopeless - the therapist never drew breath. I hope that standards will improve because there is so much that could be captivating about the Lugger and to be continually irritated by it is so very unrelaxing .

Nothing about this hotel says ‘quality’

by TripAdvisor Member A&D11

We were a little hesitant to book The Lugger after reading some bad reviews here and now wish we had taken more notice. This hotel, whilst in a beautiful setting, is overpriced and has left us feeling ripped off as we stayed for 4 nights.

Firstly Reception made a mistake on our booking details which they did not rectify even after we had bought it to their attention. We were disappointed to be in an annexe. The website doesn’t indicate that there are only 2 bedrooms in the hotel; the majority of rooms are in renovated properties in the village, which means poor sound insulation. We could hear our neighbours televisions and showers. In the bedroom there was a broken drawer and a leaking skylight, which didn’t close properly. We also found broken glass behind the cistern in the bathroom.

The biggest let down was the food. We could have forgiven the small noisy bedroom had the food live up to our expectations. It was distinctly average considering the price. Dishes were swamped in heavy sauces and butter and were consistently disappointing and vegetables were overcooked every night. The breakfasts were lousy. We had to return ours twice and saw others also returning their food. Some of the reviews here praise the food I can only suspect that there has been a change in chef? The one area we can praise were the dining staff, who were all attentive and friendly. The receptionists were a mixed bag, some were very attentive and helpful but when we needed advice on tourist attractions the receptionist knew nothing about the area and made no effort to find someone who did. After our flights to Barcelona were cancelled we needed to make a booking quickly to replace our holiday. After our experience in Cornwall we realised why we always holiday abroad!

Over-rated and over-priced

by TripAdvisor Member Lily_OS

We have just returned from a two night stay here and cant say that we will be returning in a hurry! The whole stay was distinctly average, which considering the prices they charge for rooms (ours was £270) and wine and a very basic customer service -this is just not good enough.

First the good bits: our room had a lovely view of the sea and was tastefully decorated; the complimentary tea was a nice touch, and the restaurant staff were very polite.

The bad bits include; reception staff and a manager who gave us a very cool reception and didn't help us with our bags; a dusty room which had terrible creaking floor boards; a very expensive wine list; a wierd bar-area that has been sort of cobbled together; someone has previously referred to them measuring to the last drop, an exact measure of wine which I found really irratating -why do that?; and finally a below-average breakfast -I had to return it the first time bacause it was cold.

We have stayed in a few hotels in the surrounding area as we love this part of the world but we will not be returning to the Lugger - it simply doesnt provide value for money for what it is. I'm left wondering why this hotel has managed to achieve such high acclaim from the newspapers and magazines it cites on its website!

Where to after Eden?

by TripAdvisor Member Loum

Arriving in slight damp weather late afternoon/early evening in mid-September wasn’t all bad – although I would have preferred bright sunshine – he was perfectly happy with this moody seascape.

I’d been worried about the extraordinarily mixed reviews other Trip Advisor contributors had submitted - which I’d only discovered after I had made the booking. (The cancellation terms and conditions are astoundingly draconian.) Ambivalent/rude reception staff, noisy/creaky floorboards, odd wine pouring habits - to name but a few of the comments from other Trip Advisor contributors.

Our route from the Eden Project in a Cornish rush hour could have been worse – Multi-map directions ranged from bizarre through succinct to completely misleading. However, we found Portloe’s winding narrow streets and the hotel’s car park relatively empty.

The reception staff were jovial and efficient (minimal checking in palaver, and agreeing a time for pre-booked dinner) we were led to our room, across the other side of the tiny harbour. And what a wonderful surprise - a door directly onto its own small terrace complete with chair & lounger where we braved the slightly chilly air to enjoy complimentary tea, coffee & great biscuits. The room had everything we needed – a wonderfully comfy bed with mounds of enveloping pillows & super soft duvet. The bathroom – perhaps a little tired – was clean and the huge shower provided a wonderful deluge revival both before dinner & in the morning. The bath/shower gel, shampoo, etc. from the Seboni range smelt fabulous. There were occasional creaks from the room upstairs – but it is a conversion of an old building – so to be expected. AND. Best of all – through the open door, the sound of waves lapping on the shore below.

Time for quick hikes up to the cliff tops either side of the harbour to enjoy that moody seascape - it was breath-taking. Not too hard - even for an old chick from London. It is well worth the (minimal) effort and scampering a bit certainly improves the appetite.

Again – when it was time for dinner, perfectly affable staff guided us to our table and the fish was declared to be “really excellent - great” though non-fish dishes seemed to lack seasoning, the selection of cheeses were varied and really tasty. Service was prompt but unhurried and the waiting staff were well trained & charming. Post dinner drinks in the bar (yes, there is a bar with comfy chairs and sofas – despite one reviewer’s observations) were unhurried.

The weather cheered up considerably to allow us to make use of the tea/coffee facilities (found in the wardrobe) – once more sitting on our terrace this time in fluffy dressing gowns & sporting white towelling slipers and then dressed & across to have “full English” breakfast sitting outside in warm sunshine on the narrow terrace. Again – the most charming and helpful waitress bringing a variety of freshly cooked often-local produce to our wonderfully overcrowded table – setting us up for a day of wending our way via stops en route to sit & gaze over the Carrick Roads bay towards Falmouth and then to St Mawes (deemed too "touristy") and then home.

Would we return? Oh yes.... and he'd take his fishing rod.

expected more

by TripAdvisor Member brausimausi

the Lugger has wonderful beds with duvets and fine linen, but everything else is average. the restaurant is very tastefully decorated and the location of the hotel rather romantic.
the rooms are allready worn and the price value relationship not adequate. I did not feel the Lugger deserves the fame.

The scenery was amazing but we will not be returning to the Lugger

by TripAdvisor Member Peagreen98

This review is a little tardy and therefore some things may have changed (although from other reviews it doesn’t seem likely)

We stayed at the Lugger a year ago exactly for my husbands birthday. We stayed for two nights and it was very expensive given how average the experience was. I have just taken my husband away for his birthday and had a significantly better hotel experience for less money staying in London!

The hotel setting is beautiful, the surrounding countryside, the cliffs nearby and the functioning slips in front of the hotel steal the show. It’s the hotel that is a let down.

Customer service was average and at times non existent. We had to wait for our room on arrival even though we didn’t get there until 2.30pm, we were staying in the annex which we didn’t know until we got there (and in the rain it wasn’t pleasant). I had pre booked a treatment at the “spa” when I booked the hotel. The spa was a damp smelling storage room under the car park that was in desperate need of renovation. The therapist was late arriving (as she lives some way away and isn’t on site during set hours) and then talked all the way through my massage even when I said I’d like to listen to the music. We waited in the “bar” for a considerable time before someone was available to take a drinks order before dinner. Dinner was fine but the wine list was very expensive for average wine – the mark up was ridiculous. Like others we waited an age for our breakfast only for it to be cooling rapidly – mostly likely from it having sat in the dumb waiter.

The scenery was amazing but we will not be returning to the Lugger - it simply doesn’t provide the level of service it should for the price.

Sadly not what I expected or hoped

by TripAdvisor Member sammyk

The Lugger is supposed to be a romantic, chic, luxurious hideaway, and when we booked a long weekend there we had a plan - to snuggle into plush duvets, go for long walks, drink cocoa by the fire, play board games and chat on the squashy sofas in the loung, and eat gorgeous meals. We managed to succeed on only two counts - the walks and the duvets. The Lugger just misses the mark when it has so many opportunities to hit - there's no attention to detail, (e.g. we had to pay for the 'welcome coffee' and there were no biscuits, you had to ask for crisps and nibbles with pre-dinner drinks, there were only 3 magazines in the lounge and all were about yachting).

The rooms are small - we booked a superior which didn't offer much space and had a view of the village wall and road rather than the sea, very disappointing. There was no option for breakfast in bed, and while the food was really nice there was little atmosphere and dinner was all over very quickly.

Personally I wouldn't stay there again - it's just about OK but for £200 a night I expect more. I didn't feel pampered or spolied at all - what a shame, isn't that exactly the promise they make?

Enjoyable Winter break at the Lugger

by TripAdvisor Member jowby

I have to say I am at a loss as to why so many on this site have slated this hotel, both my husband and I found it hard to fault the overall experience and have since rebooked!

The best part of our stay was undoubtedly the comfort of the rooms, the linens and the fluffy gowns were second to none - thought has clearly gone into maximising the luxury feel of the place and it succeeds in this area very well.

The dining room was strangely cold and un-atmospheric but then it was winter and mid-week I imagine it's lively in the summer and not quite so cold!- the log fire in the lounge was so welcoming after a bracing walk although perhaps a bit too warm!!! - do I sound a tad fussy?

The food was extraordinarily good and the ingredients were obviously fresh, as they tasted superb, the menu changed entirely every single day and there was a choice of 5 dishes from each course - (not something we've seen in any other English hotel)

We learnt at the end of our 3-night stay that the hotel is about to change hands for the 4th time this year, apparently! So with this in mind what they achieve is nothing short of amazing.

Whoever the lucky new owners may be I hope they know a good thing when they see it and don't go changing too much!

Comments