Sherwood Forest, Rufford, Newark, NG22 9DN, United Kingdom

More about Center Parcs Sherwood Forest

Cryptosporidium parasite infection outbreak at Center Parcs Sherwood Forest

by TripAdvisor Member CenterParcsVictim

My family stayed at Center Parcs Sherwood Forest for the weekend of 10-13 November 2006. My children, aged just 20 months and 5 months at the time, were infected with cryptopsoridium during our stay. This is a serious issue; a parasite infection which damages the stomach lining. Our kids have since suffered from vomiting, diarrhoea, serious weight loss and lactose intolerance and are still not fully recovered.

Newark & Sherwood Council Public Health is currently undertaking an investigation into Center Parcs. An investigation by the BBC discovered that there were 30 confirmed cases of cryptosporidium at Center Parcs from this time. This report can be found on the BBC East Midlands news website.

Center Parcs has confirmed that there was a problem with the water filtration system at the 'Sub-Tropical Swimming Paradise' at this time.

Please add a comment if you have or would like to know more information.

end of january break

by TripAdvisor Member barwell

Just returned from our yearly mid-week break at Center Parcs Sherwood forest. This year we stayed in one of the 4 bedroomed luxury villas complete with outdoor spa bath. A indoor sauna and steam room are also included.

We go this time of year as it's one of the cheaper weeks, but we still paid over £800 for 4 nights. During the height of the season eg. Christmas and school holidays the price shoots up. This villa alone over the Christmas period is over £3000 (not worth it) You would expect 5 star accomodation for this money but the furnishings are grubby, the large rug in the lounge was dirty and stained, the bedclothes were washed to death and faded, there were cobwebs high up in the bedroom ceilings and dead flies in the light fittings. The wardrobe and drawer space was very limited, we kept our clothes in the suit cases.

There is a daily maid service included in the luxury villas but they come at 10 in the morning when you are in the middle of breakfast. We just took the clean towels from them and refused their service, one morning we asked for more toilet rolls and were told that this was not included, it was complimentary on arrival, after that you would have to buy it from the supermarket. Must be cutting down as usually this is included.

We always enjoy Center parcs but it can be very pricey. This year we booked the Carvery at the Pancake house.I didn't know it finished at 8pm when I booked the table for 7.40pm. It was £9.95 each just for the dinner, starters, drinks and desserts were extra.They had ran out of beef so the choice was turkey or turkey, with frozen yorkshire puddings and frozen stuffing balls, but the veg appeared fresh. Therefore, I would recommend that you give this a miss.

If you want to go to Center Parcs take everything that you need with you (including toilet roll)and cook your own food. The kids will love it but be warned a Coke is £2.10 and I paid £1.95 for hot chocolate in a polystyrene cup that only half full in the tropical swimming area. A burger and fries was £7.95 in the Jardin De Sport very expensive if paying for the family. A part from the price we always love it.

superb time

by TripAdvisor Member braganzaboy

Just returned from CP at sherwood.
Superb time had by all, 2 yr old loved feeding the swans, geese and ducks.
Pancake House was fantastic
Only problem was the 80MPH winds during the stay
Swimming pool had to be closed thursday/friday as did some outdoor activities. However staff were brilliant, a note was sent to every villa explaining the situation and maintainance were out clearing trees (non stop job as they must have lost 50 plus)
Just a pity that you cant hire a bike trailer to carry anyone under six months, still the walking did me good.

Brilliant getaway

by TripAdvisor Member Digimods

We (girlfriend and I) have just returned from CP at Sherwood forest. This is the third time we have been and we just can't fault it.

There are lots of activities that will suit lots of people. May we recommend archery and the Spa day. Both quite expensive but worth every penny. Spa day (3 hours) was £32 each and Archery was £20.

Food is out of this world. The Indian is awesome - great food at a reasonable price.. (£31 for starters and main for two people and a bottle of Cobra and a coke).

Our Villa was extremely clean and well kept. The decor was faultless as to was the cleanliness of the Kitchen. The location was a stones throw from the main centre too - which we found to be useful as we didn't bother hiring bike this time.

At night, we love Sherwood. We have also been to Oasis Whinfell, but found that after 5 or 6pm the whole place seems to shut and there is nothing to do. With Sherwood, the "adult disco" is a good night out until 12pm. Beer is average priced and the music is on the whole ok.. (if you like the odd chav anthem..).

Take plenty of spending money as it can be expensive - but you are on holiday - so who cares!

Perfect for families !

by TripAdvisor Member Milamb

Just had to say how fantastic Center Parcs at Sherwood was. We stayed for a 4 night midweek break and the time just flew by. Everthing is catered for and offered. Okay you may have to pay for it but there is nothing that they have forgotten. From renting cars for toddlers to golf simulators for the adults, they have it all. If I were to be picky, the only slight downside is that the accomodation was slightly dated but we were never in the accomodation as there was so much to keep you on the go.

Highly recommended to couples with young children as Center parcs makes it easy to take a well earned break.

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member colliebramble

I went with my Mum and my twin boys for their 9th Birthday, last week.
My sons have been all over the world and to date they rate Center Parcs to be their best ever holiday.

They loved the wildlife, the freedom and the activities.

I agree it can be an expensive break, but we were aware of this through friends who have been in the past. So we had Breakfast and Evening meal in our Villa. We ate lunch twice around the pool, which was approx £15 for four of us. And once we had lunch in the Pancake house, that cost £22 for 4 people, but the food was lovely.

The staff are great, very friendly and very helpful.

My boys did the Introduction to Roller Blading and the Zip Wire. Lucky for me they had recently been on a school trip, which covered most of the outdoor activities Center Parcs offers, so they were not too bothered about doing the same activities again.

The playgrounds were very good, and suitable for all different ages.

The Bicycle hire was cheap and the bikes were well maintained.
Bicycle locks cost approx. £1:50.

We stayed in a 3 bedroom comfort Villa. Outside it was quite tired looking, and did need a lick of paint. But inside it was very clean. and the facilities were fantastic. Even had a tin opener and a corkscrew! And best of all, we had a swan nesting next to our room, which was lovely to see. The wildlife is right on your doorstep, we had ducks, swans, rabbits, birds and squirels right outside our door. They must be the best fed animals you could ever wish to meet and very tame.

I would recommend Center parcs to anybody.

Torrential rain yet great holiday!

by TripAdvisor Member Liverbloke

Just returned from Sherwood Forest for a weekend break. We went with a large party of friends (adults and children) and booked four 3 bedroom villas together.

The weather on Friday and Saturday (day) was nice but then the rainclouds gathered and we had torrential rain for the rest of the holiday. Did this ruin the holiday at all? No way. Anywhere else it may have been a disaster (an isolated cottage for example) but there is so much to do undercover (and not just the pool) that we didnt mind one bit.

The accomodation was clean and functional yet still quite cosy. We felt we had a real forest setting as we couldnt see any other villas from our patio. We ate out most lunchtimes and the food was excellent. Of the activities I can recommend the tree trekking and the archery.

All in all I would say excellent value for money - the kids didnt want to come home. We booked to go back straight away - there is no greater praise than that Id say!

eco friendly, upmarket Haven

by TripAdvisor Member whereyougoingnext

A wonderful 4 day mid week break despite the rain! The villa was the comfort model and was suffcient for 2 wet boys to return to every day. You can either join in the campers style holiday with the evening entertainment and activities which run everyday, all day (most cost extra) or just endulge yourself in the quiet of the forest without a car. We mixed the 2. Cycle hire is a must - everyone has them and they do aid getting into the activities/shops without fuss- BUT beware, no-one obeys any road rules, even the adults. Pre book them as the queue to hire and then collect nearly took an hour. The pool (free) is great, loads of slides to keep them happy. clean and warm too.
I took my grandmother who is not very good on her legs, our villa was at least 1/2 a mile from the facilities (despite being told otherwise) and the free shuttle bus- for elderly/disabled was not reliable - this did but a big cloud over an otherwise fun holiday. sometimes they managed to get her to the village square but had no one to take her home! the only solution was to wait. they need to get this sorted out.
Loved the bikes, we should all get back into this, but why are they selling Evian water and other non local produce- think of all that CO2 in shipping it in. I know it's not sold on an eco basis, but it has the potential to do so.

Great UK getaway

by TripAdvisor Member julespick

I've lost count how many times we have been to Center Parcs in Sherwood. We stayed in one of the executive villas and I can see how they have improved them over the years.

Plus points:
*Fantastic new play area near the lake
*A visit to the indian resturant is a must, food is fantastic.
*Spa & it's beauty treatments are great (shame about some of the staff)
*At last the swimming pool slides have been refurbished.
*The Parc Market now sells a good range of locally sourced produce.

a few gripes:
*The staff in the spa never seem to be around when you need them. They nearly lost a very expensive sale from me and other people in the spa reception queue when there was no staff to be seen.
*Given it is seen as a "healthy" place there is a distinct lack of healthy options for adults (esp veggies) on the resturant menus.
* Some of the staff in Jardin de Sports and the Country club acted like they really couldn't be bothered often telling us activities were fully booked, when they were not.
*Sports Bar not closing at the advertised time but closing up early when the staff felt like it. One night, although closing time was advertised as 11pm they started switching off the TV screens and turned the lights on at 10.

Rip off Central

by TripAdvisor Member uniella

Arrived at our 3 bed comford villa which we paid nearly a thousand pounds for to be greeted by a lounge area smelling of urine a toilet that hadnt been cleaned and with no loo brush either, one of the saucepans had no handle, there were grease marks on the baking tray. The mattress's in the bedroom if you can call them that were like sleeping on a "rack" I think we would have slept better outside!! The grocery pack we ordered - the sausages were use by "that day". We have been to center parcs many times before both elvedon and sherwood and we have had both executive and comfort villas which up until this trip had been brilliant, I guess they just want people on some kind of production line and general standards drop considerably especially in peak months. We pre-booked 5 bikes, the first day we rode them 2 of the bells dropped off and one light also fell off and rolled down the hill - we decided to just leave them. The food at the sports bar was an absolute joke - we had an hours wait for sandwiches and jacket potatoes and when they arrived the bread was like cardboard and the potato had obviously been frozen and stuck in the microwave. Interestingly enough we had 2 very good meals in the Indian and Italian Restaurant - yet i've seen bad reviews for both - I guess its just luck of the draw or who's in the kitchen and same for the villas - luck of the draw which one you end up in.

There is enough for everyoneThere is enough for everyone

Dinner!Dinner!