Lower Castle Road, St Mawes, TR2 5DR, United Kingdom

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Hotel Tresanton

World class hotel

by TripAdvisor Member stopfakereviews

It hardly needs saying again considering all the great reviews on this web site but I don't think I would ever stay anywhere else in the UK having been to the Tresanton. It is a lovely hotel, in a perfect location, with great staff and worth every penny. I just can not wait to return!

Pricey but Nice

by TripAdvisor Member Chris_Battersea

The Hotel Tresanton

One of the best hotels in England. Olga Polizzi's hotel on the English Riviera lived up to the hype..seven years on! The hotel is like a beautiful old yacht moored on land above a picture postcard Cornish village. On a moonlit august night.. you really could be forgiven for thinking you are anywhere but England!

The hotel is well appointed... very nautical themed and very comfortable. The bed and baths are pure white and linen... just like out of an ad for Polo! The restaurant is amazing...delicious with excellent service. The details make the difference... the cappucino, the flowers and candles, the newspapers at your door. Brilliant touches that linger with you and make you feel special..or, at least well looked after. The staff are friendly without trying too hard.

Downsides...hmm? The parking lot that is 10 minutes walk uphill, or the long wait for valet parking...but hey, who cares. You are in cornwall to walk and 'take the air'. No, only the price will make you wince...but, the best things in life aren't free or ever cheap. So... indulge. If you want a perfect Cornwall-break... book ahead to avoid disappointment and stay at the Tresanton. Can't wait to try the sister hotel The Endsleigh to break the journey by car from London... on the edge of Exmoor...if it is as good as the Tresanton, it could become a regular in Britain's best list!

Heaven on earth

by TripAdvisor Member BarbaraT

We are just home from the Tresanton and having withdrawal symptoms already. Everything is well done in this comfortable, wonderful hotel - service, rooms, staff, food, decor, beds, soap - the list could be endless. It certainly is pricy so have your plastic ready to take a big hit. But as a treat, the hotel is well worth a visit and St. Mawes a truly beautiful seaside village, closer in feel to St. Tropez than Skegness.

Perfect treat

by TripAdvisor Member francophile2005

I stayed in Hotel Tresanton for a couple of days this week as a special getaway treat for my girlfriend and I before I go away for 6 months. I found the hotel in the Hip Hotels book and was pleasantly surprised when they had space for us. I booked straightaway, and only afterwards checked the reviews here below. On the basis of the reviews I wondered briefly if I hadn't made a mistake. Not a bit of it. St Mawes is a lovely little town, the location is stunning and from the word go the Hotel Tresanton was outstanding.

Our car was unpacked and parked whilst the reception were welcoming us to the hotel. The room (3) was lovely, lying in bed the next morning with the curtains open to see the sunrise was just amazing. Everything about our stay made us smile, we'll definitely go back and recommend it to our friends.

As ever the little touches are what makes so much difference. No hassles getting the car sorted, a healthy tea-tray when we asked for it and the room service was very attentive too. A nice touch was to turn the beds down in the evening whilst we were out. The hotel information was very complete and we had two super days out at the Lost Gardens at Heligan and the Eden Project, though I dare say we could have had equally good days much closer to St Mawes. In the town there's a quick walk up to the castle for the sunset on the far side where the beach catches the last of the day. To the left out of the hotel is most of the town, with a great little cafe opposite the harbour and I'd go back to the Victory Pub for top pub fare in the evenings. By all accounts the Rising Sun does the best fish and chips on friday nights.

We chose to eat in the hotel on out last night. The bar beforehand was spot on, great cocktails which could have been a night all of their own. The service balanced neatly the difficult attentive/overbearing line to perfection. Food was outstanding, delicate dishes superbly cooked, neither of us was left wanting. And coffee in the great lounge to follow was a perfect end to the evening.

Breakfast hit the spot, both continental and full english. The bathroom was ideal with a great shower (though to have had a double-ended bath would have been heaven) and instant hot water. Good soaps and towels, robes and a very comfortable bed. The living room of our own was well equipped with plugs for the laptop and plenty of space for us to chill out without having to sit on the bed as in so many hotels.

So if you're reading this looking for another hotel to go to on the back of a dozen other similarly priced hotels - go somewhere else because you don't deserve the joy of this amazing little hotel. The folk complaining below about tables and chairs not matching, and the old couple complaining in breakfast because this or that isn't just so have completely missed the point and should stay in big chain hotels out of the way of guests in idyllic hotels like Tresanton.

On the other hand, if like me you're looking for something that little bit above and beyond, something different to tantalise and challenge you - you've struck gold here.

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JonWoolcott

A few people on this site have compared The Tresanton and the Driftwood nearby. Unable to make up our minds about which we'd like for our short honeymoon, we choose both, doing 2 nights at the Driftwood and 2 nights at the Tresanton. We liked both a lot, but the Treasanton has the class and style; the rooms are better, the restaurant is better, the atmosphere manages to be more relaxed too. Our room was great, the service was attentive without being too formal, and one felt it was more personal too. In terms of value, we paid a little more for the Treanton, but then we had a little lounge in our suite and I think it's better overall value. St Mawes is a lovely little town, and you get great views of the bay from the rooms. This hotel would suit anyone who doesn't want a starchy experience, and who values stylishness - beware though, if you're the sort of traveller that likes lots of mahogony tables, dusty chandeliers and grand rooms, this isn't for you. We loved it, and will be back.

Excellent accomodation, mediocre food and company

by TripAdvisor Member jabbasoft

So stop #2 on our quick tour of the south-west was the Tresanton in St Mawes.

Turned up in heavy rain, parked the car on the 'street' (wondering if it was going to get clipped by other drivers, very narrow roads) and wandered up to reception to check in. Signed in, and everythign was taken care of - porter got our bags and parked our car in the hotel car park for us.

Room was excellent - big, good view (of the torrential rain) and lovely large bathroom with big bath and some nice bath salts etc.

Dinner was disappointing - the best bit was the bread and olive oil (which were really good!), overall quite poor cuisine for the money (£39 a head not inc. drinks). Being a 'posh' hotel, it had lots of 'posh' people in it who insisted on talking in loud posh voices about posh shops and posh holidays and posh opinions getting drunk in a posh way. Needless to say we got out of the restaurant and got back to our lovely room asap.

In the sunshine it looks like there's a great area outside the main building for drinks and food and a grand view across the sea. Unfortunately it never stopped raining when we were here, so we made do with an excellent hotel room.

Breakfast was a mix of v poor service and v good food. The best breakfast we had in 4 hotels, probably the worst service. You don't need to sit and wait for 10 mins before being asked if you'd like some coffee and maybe a cooked breakfast.......

Excellent hotel, overpriced food, would come back again if they could guarantee the weather.

Luxurious country house feel

by TripAdvisor Member Lucyluu

Stayed here for 2 night weekend. It has to be said first that it is outrageously expensive in terms of a per night rate, however, its isn't that much more expensive that other inferior hotels in the area, and we enjoyed our stay so much that we didn't mind. To us, the decor was lovely - stylish and contemporary but with a distinct homely and seaside feel. The service was so unbelievably friendly but also super efficient so that all in all, we felt we were staying in a luxurious country house with our own butler service. We found the restaurant fantastic - all our food (lunches, dinners and breakfasts) were well cooked, imaginative, delicious and filling. Wine list was also good and surprisingly good value. Bar was also lovely and cosy with mellow opera classics playing in the background and log fire. Lounge was like someones lovely big sitting room with papers, books, fire and Hunter wellies round the corner if you want to go for a walk! Location is amazing - right on the little main road with the beach a 2 minute walk away and the castle 5 mins away. Beautiful views from our room. Only downside was that we could hear a bit of noise from neighbouring rooms at some points - as a light sleeper and given the price, I was a bit disappointed with this but it really was the only downside so it wouldn't stop us returning. Think this was a good time of year to go as weather is improving but the place isn't overly busy which I can imagine might change things (the restaurant seats 40 in the winter but another 60 I think in the summer on the terrace). Definitely the place to stay if you're in the area, want to splash out and feel like a bit of luxury service.

A pretty kind of hype

by TripAdvisor Member Lucymarian

I stayed at this hotel about 4 years ago. My family and I left early. The food was good, and the hotel and rooms were well appointed, yet it proved a little too full of itself, and not terribly worth its price. Perhaps I am too fussy. I just think there are other hotels which you could stay at, with more charm, and far more to do etc. Not fabulous, perhaps a little too inflated.

Perfect Relaxation

by TripAdvisor Member SJ118

Fabulous relaxing stay. Stylish spacious and contemporary room, gorgeous toiletries. Twice daily maid service. Enjoyed eating on the terrace, good choice on the menu. Warm welcome and big smiles from all the staff who were friendly and efficient. Really enjoyed hot stone massage and a trip on the RIB boat of the hotel. Even saw basking sharks. Can't wait to repeat the experience. Cannot understand the gripes on other reviews. This is a unique place and perfect for a romantic break.

Nice room, excellent service.

by TripAdvisor Member anon_traveller0

This hotel has improved significantly since our last visit a few years ago. The service is now almost of a 5 star standard. Although I suspect this is dependant on who is on the front desk at the time.

When I called to say that we would be checking in late (11:30pm), they offered to have some food ready for our arrival. This turned out to be a very nice late night snack. Room service staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

As we pulled up outside, a porter was standing by to park the car and carry the bags. Later on, the porters again proved to be very helpful and courteous.

The room was understated in style and of a high quality. The view was excellent. My only criticism was that the soundproofing was inadequate as I could hear conversation from another room.

In the restaurant, I would describe the food as good, rather than exceptional. But the winelist and the service were very good. After dinner coffee in the sitting room is nice as long as there aren't any loud media or banking types in there!

St Mawes and the surrounding area is a fantastic place. It really feels like a relatively quiet seaside town, which is a rare thing in Cornwall these days.

The only negative was the reticence of the front desk when I asked for a late checkout. She claimed not to know when the next guests were checking into our room and I had to push quite hard just to check out a bit later than the annoying 11am.

View to FalmouthView to Falmouth