Harbourside, St Mawes, TR2 5AN, United Kingdom

Costs 57% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about The Idle Rocks Hotel

Absolutely Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member pebblesj0081839

I booked a surprise weekend break at the Idle Rocks hotel for my husband's 37th birthday. I must admit I was a little worried about the hotel at the start of the holiday as I had read bad reviews after I had booked the break. However, my fears vanished as soon as we arrived at the hotel.

Not only was the hotel situated in the most beautiful place overlooking the harbour, but the service we received over the weekend was first class. The staff were most helpful and kind and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. The restraurant, both staff and food, were also first class. There were no delays in service and my husband and I relaxed for well over 2 hours whilst we enjoyed a 5 course romantic dinner, followed by coffee in the bar.

We stopped in one of the four posted bed rooms in the Georgian House opposite the hotel and again found the room to be to our liking - plenty of room and very romantic. The staff even placed chocolate mints on our pillows at night, before we arrived back from the restraurant to give that extra special treatment.

In summary I would most certainly recommend the Idle rocks hotel, especially if you are looking for a romantic weekend break, and in fact have already done so to both my parents and inlaws.

Keep up the good work!!

Superb room, excellent staff, brilliant food

by TripAdvisor Member Mick2

My wife and I visited the Idle Rocks Hotel for a mid week break on 25th and 26th of July 2006 and it was excellent. The location is stunning 'sitting atop the harbour wall in the beautiful St Mawes' as they say - and it is every bit as beautiful as that. Our room was spacious and well appointed with a 4 poster bed and the staff were very friendly and helpful - nice people to be around.

The pinacle, though, was our 2 visits to The Water's Edge restuarant. This really desrves is accolades and completely matches up to it's 'gourmet' description. Fantastic food. Breakfast was really good too.

I can strongly recommend The Idle Rocks if you are looking for a luxurious, very relaxing break with great food and service.

Restaurant a disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member Cricket-ball

We had one night at the Idle Rocks Hotel in St Mawes, a lovely harbour town in Cornwall. The hotel, although satisfactory, is crying out for a refurbishment; the potential of this place is quite significant. It is situated right on the wall of the harbour and is a lovely old building. The views across the harbour are beautiful. The rooms are fine, but could use a redecoration. Our major disappointment was the restaurant. We had read that the restaurant has two rosettes but I expect these need to be revoked. The food was edible but not at all interesting; to be presented with tomatoes the colour of apricots in the middle of August is inexcusable! And the proximity to water should have ensured top quality, fresh fish however this too was disappointing. The cheese board came out on a cold plate and it had clearly been prepared earlier and stored in the fridge until service. Cheese should be allowed to come to room temperature at the very least! The wine list was appalling, a cause of some irritation for my husband who is in the wine trade. Towards the end of our meal, the waitresses began ironing the table cloths and napkins on the tables around us... hmmm... need we say more!

staff and food are first class - room not up to expectations

by TripAdvisor Member hurry-wait

The village of St Mawes is a little undiscovered gem!
My husband and I stayed at this hotel mid August 2006 for 4 nights. The Idle Rocks Hotel is beautifully situated with fabulous views from the ocean front restuarant, lounge and bar. Everything was wonderful for our 25th anniversary weekend celebration, the only exception was our room was on the side of the building with a limited view of the ocean and a great view of the road, public sitting area and bus stop. The room was in the new part of the hotel and was very clean, nicely furnished including a super bathroom with tub. The location of this view room with balcany (called the Shorelark room) makes it very noicey and not private (anyone waiting for the bus can easily join your conversation!) The air conditioner system for the kitchen is location just outside this room and increases the noice level especially at night, perhaps the hotel could do a better job of insulating the walls between the machine and the room. Upon checking in I did request to be moved to a quieter room but was told no other rooms were available, understandable as it's the busy season. I did hope we could have been moved at least for 1 or 2 nights. If you book and wish for a view and a good night sleep be very sure of where your room will be in this hotel. I thought I was paying for a premier room, perhaps the web site could show more information as to what one will get for the price paid. Our room location and noice level was a disappointment however the food in the restaurant (dinner and breakfast) and staff were wonderful. I woud love to go back to this hotel someday - but as we live in Canada - it'll be in my dreams only.

Very poor

by TripAdvisor Member stopfakereviews

Stayed here with my husband just after Easter and I really wish I hadn't.

The restaurant was really not good and potentially dangerous. For the first time in my "eating-out" experience I was asked how I wanted my PORK cooked- I replied how the chef normally cooks it, to which the waitress replied rare. Not being a chef I went along with it but how could any so-called chef send out a lump of raw meat and expect it to be eaten- disgusting!

The room was very dated and not at all what I was expecting. The hotel is desperate for a refurbishment.

What a disappointment and if you do take the risk rememeber to order your pork cooked through.

Unable to secure the bookng

by TripAdvisor Member Andrew_FF

A rather bizarre experience all in all. We booked to stay at the Idle Rocks through a web site called Active Hotels. A four poster room for £100. We almost immediately received a confirmation fo our booking from the hotel. All much as you would expect.

We then received a further email telling us that they only had a room available for us at £278. Then another telling us that they could let us have a 'self catering apartment' remote from the hotel for £100. They seeemd unable to simply upgrade guests to cover their own overbooking errors. Only when we had cancelled our booking and found somewhere else did they appear to persuade another guest to move into their self catering accomodation.

So quite unable to review the hotel as we didn't manage to get them to honour the booking we had made. Not impressed

Wonderful apartments

by TripAdvisor Member gwensie

Just came back from a stay in St. Mawes Cornwall, England. This is a beautiful spot, with fishing boats and small shops and great pubs. Stayed at the Idle Rocks Apartments. The Idle Rocks is a hotel, but they also have eight apartments to rent. The apartments are modern and well equiped. The kitchens had a dishwasher, washer/dryer combo, fridge and freezer, all plates, dishes, serving bowls and platters and flatwear you could use. Our apartment had two bedrooms, one with a double bed, one with two twin beds. There are two full bathrooms. There is a roomy living room and kitchen table. We stayed in the best room, The Crow's Nest on the third floor. It is a corner room and a wonderful view. We loved this place and would go back.

Ghastly!!

by TripAdvisor Member Lemonlime1900

I should of paid attention to the genuine reviews of this hotel. From the moment we arrived I knew that it was going to be awful.

Firstly, the bedrooms are very dated and the one my mother stayed in had a very musty smell as if it had not been cleaned properly. From what I could see the whole hotel is desperate for a makeover.

The restaurant really was not good. I wont go in to details but I should of guessed that an almost empty restaurant in August is not a good sign. I later found out our fellow residents had all eaten next door at the Rising Sun.

Anyway, I shall put it down to experience and certainly will not be returning.

OK .....but

We stayed at the Idle Rocks for a few days in August - the photos of the hotel and its situation tempted us to try an area we hadn't been to before. The cost of rooms seemed a little on the high side but we quite enjoyed our stay. Most things about the hotel were OK but we had a few reservations....

On the plus side - the hotel has a great situation right next to the harbour walls, the views (depending on the room you're in)across the estuary and harbour are brilliant, the breakfasts were excellent, the beds were comfortable, the lounge and dining rooms were well laid out and the staff were almost without exception courteous, helpful and efficient.

However, the rooms we stayed in were in need of a general redecoration. One of the baths was chipped and the tile grouting was distinctly grubby and needed a good clean, the other room( in the annexe across the road) was a big improvement but again the decor was fairly dated. A minor point was that the two curtains across one window were of different lengths - it wasn't a big issue but perhaps was indicative of a hotel building that could do with a general review and overhaul. There was also a noisy air conditioning unit somewhere in the nether regions of main hotel which was a bit irritating.

Having said that ....the pleasantness of the staff and the situation of the hotel itself made for a fairly happy few days break.

Lured by a good website, shame about the hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Kwollaston

We were lured by the hotel's website showing pleasant, well appointed, contemporary rooms in a stunning setting. While the setting overlooking the harbour is indeed stunning, the hotel itself falls well short of the image promised by the website. Our room, in the Georgian annex across the road, was desperately in need of updating and refurbishment. The wall lights were faulty and did not work, the balcony door frame was swollen and rotting so one was unable to close the door (luckily it wasn't a cold night), the general 'feel' of the room, particularly the bathroom, was that it had seen better days (probably in the 1980s). I mentioned the disparity between the website and my experience when I checked out and got a flat uninterested response from the desk staff.

I would definately not stay here again neither would I recommend it.

Comments