Larkhall Burn

Travel Tips for Jedburgh

Jedburgh

by Andrew_W_K

"Border Country"

I'm half Scottish and this region is where my clan originates. My father was born in nearby Hawick and my grandparents lived in Galashiels so I have a great affinity with the area.
Jedburgh sits in the Cheviot Hills a few miles from the English border and around 40 miles south of Edinburgh. To see this region you need a car or motorcycle as the towns are sparse and the population small.
I hadn't been back to Jedburgh in 40 years and it seemed like nothing has changed. It's a fine town with some worthwhile sights to see but should really be combined with a touring holiday.
The most famous building is the ruined Augustinian abbey that was founded in 1138 but had a somewhat chequered history before the reformation finally sealed it's fate.

"Clock Tower"

Just off the market square stands a curious clock tower. I say curious because it seems to have many functions: a gatehouse, entrance to a prison, Sherrif court or court or county buildings. It dates back to the early part of the 18th century and today is simply a clock tower.

"Leaderfoot Viaduct"

Just a few miles north of Jedburgh just off the A68 main Edinburgh road is the Leaderfoot Viaduct. Opened in 1865 this railway bridge has been redundant since the 1960's and is now a grade 1 listed building.

"Untitled"

by Dyesebel

Jedburgh is just 10miles north of Scotland's border with England.
A peaceful place.This is the ruin of Jedburgh Abbey,a magnificent church built in 1138.Complete Romanesque and early Gothic buildings.

Jedburgh in the Scottish Borderlands

by ringleader

"The Flowers Captured Our Eyes!"

As we drove through Jedburgh, we caught a glimpse of magnificent flowers lining the road in front of some drab-brown houses. They surely changed the look of the houses! We kept walking up and down in front of the houses, taking in the beautiful colors and textures. Even the pictures and video we took can't capture just how pretty they were.

"We Spent a Few Hours"

We spent a few hours touring around the town, going to the visitor's center, and taking photos.

We didn't actually get to go in the Jedburgh Abbey or Mary Queen of Scots' house, but the outside views were wonderful.

If you plan to be seeing a lot of castles and historic properties during your visit, you should take advantage of the Historic Scotland Explorers' pass available at any Historic Scotland property. (Jedburgh Abbey is one of those properties.)

Also, take a look at the Melrose and Saint Boswell's pages that I have up. They're as connected to Jedburgh as peanut butter is to jelly. A day trip into the border lands from Edinburgh is easily do-able!!!

"Really a Nice Town to Walk Around"

We saw many, many flowers along the walkways. If you are in Jedburgh during the summer, you really should take a couple hours to walk around town and visit the abbey. We also ate lunch at the Simply Scottish Restaurant (see restaurant tips), which finished off our pleasant experience.

Check our "must see" activities for photos of the abbey and Mary's House.

Comments