Edinburgh Road, Peebles, EH45 8QG, United Kingdom
Booking.com Priceline.com Hotelsclick.com

More about Castle Venlaw Hotel

A wonderful place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member AndrewMFC

My wife and I eloped to Peebles in March, and we stayed in a four-poster room at the Castle Venlaw for three nights. I cannot praise the hotel, restaurant and staff highly enough. Our suite was large yet cosy, the bathroom magnificent (we loved the twinkling lights!) and the view was quite special as well.
The quality of the food, wine list and service in the restaurant were also outstanding -- I would describe the menu as offering traditional Scottish fish and game but prepared in the French style.
Frankly, I cannot understand some of the negative reviews posted here previously. I think it's a matter of expectations. The Castle Venlaw is not an anonymous modern glass-and-steel business hotel -- it is a grand old country house in a somewhat secluded setting. If you are looking for a gym, business centre, and a games arcade for the kiddies, you should probably look elsewhere.
Mr. Sloggie and his family run a very special place here, I would highly recommend Castle Venlaw to anyone looking for a romantic mini-break or a place in which to get married or to spend one's honeymoon.

Well worth a stay

by TripAdvisor Member Traveller-JG

We stayed in Castle Venlaw for three days in December. This was our second visit to the Hotel and will certainly not be our last. The rooms are very well proportioned and lovely decorated. The bathroom was beautiful and had lovely touches like twinking lights in the ceiling and candles around the bath. The food was first class and choice was excellent. The staff very polite, friendly and helpful.

I would highly recommend this hotel, especially for a romantic stay. We will definately be back!

Fab!

by TripAdvisor Member SpoiltDiva

We went to Castle Venlaw to see whether we'd like it for our wedding, after checking out their extensive and very informative website! And I was beyond impressed! We, with our 7 month old had a standard room, small and cosy, the decor is what I consider perfect for a small country hotel. The hotel was very upfront in correspondence (and the website) that under 5s weren't allowed in the public rooms of the hotel after 7pm. We opted for an early dinner with Lily and had the restaurant to ourselves we which liked! We didn't order our desserts until after 7pm but at no time were we rushed! All members of staff were friendly to Lily (including the head chef!) and us, but maintained a professional manner. The food was excellent! We were shown some of the other rooms during a tour to discuss the wedding, and fell in love immediately. I filled in the quality questionnaire and received a very nice email from the owner to thank me and to say that all my comments were passed on to the staff. All correspondence I have had with Castle Venlaw has been answered very promptly and has been informative, helpful and accommodating. I very much look forward to my return!

anniversary week end

by TripAdvisor Member meganiamh

we recently stayed at castle venlaw for our 30th wedding anniversary. we were made to feel very welcome from the minute we arrived to the minute we left. we booked one of the romantic suites, we had flowers, chocolates and champagne in our room, we had a lovely four poster bed and bathroom with large bath, candles and relaxing lighting.
the food in the hotel wassuperb and very well presented and we send our compliments to the chef.
our week end was everything we wanted and more and welook forward to returning again in the not to distant future

Top class

by TripAdvisor Member ooxxjulesxxoo

Having just returned from my friend's wedding at Castle Venlaw Hotel, I had to contribute to the reviews here.

Not only is the location of the hotel spot on and the food amazing but in particular I would like to say a HUGE thank you to every member of staff in the hotel whom I had the pleasure to meet.

The staff are extremely polite, friendly, approachable and down-to-earth. If every hotel had this team working for them, there would be no need for TripAdvisor as each hotel would be perfect.

Marcos, Zoe, Chris, Chris, Rachel, Barbara - you guys are fab!

Keep up the good work and thank you again for your wonderful hospitality.

absolutely beautiful

by TripAdvisor Member kerryquilliam

my husband and i got married in the bahamas and decided that we wanted to extend our honeymoon further when we returned to england and scanned the celtic castles website in hope to find something extra special, romantic and out of the ordinary, and we found all this and more at castle venlaw.
the hotel and grounds are beautiful, and the staff especially chris and suzanne were fantastic, they made us feel very welcome and attended to our every need.
we stayed in a four poster room, which had 3 large windows giving lovely views of the scottish countryside, i particularly liked the double corner bath which come complete with candles and fibre optic lighting for that extra romantic touch.
the food in the restaurant was really good, i could imagine gordon ramsey cooking it in the kitchen.
overall, we had a fantastic weekend here and hope to return soon.

Lovely boutique country hotel, great service, great food

by TripAdvisor Member Jenelopi

I discovered Castle Venlaw Hotel whilst driving around Peebles looking for some last minute accommodation. The castle looked fabulous from the outside and there was still a room available at a very reasonable standby rate. I was travelling on my own and planned to only stay one night before heading to Edinburgh, but after having the best night's sleep in the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in in a hotel, I decided whilst checking out to come back for a second night. On the second night, I stayed in a deluxe room with a huge bathroom including large rolltop bath. The room was large and well furnished and contained two sofas and it really felt like home away from home. I had dinner in the restaurant on this night and the food was fabulous. I have read the other reviews about the dining room and the service, but I experienced no problems whatsoever. Given I was eating on my own and the dining room is quite formal and fairly quiet with lots of couples, I did expect to feel a little bit awkward. However the staff were very friendly and I did not feel out of place at all.

Breakfast was also delicious and the reception and serving staff very friendly and professional. Mr Sloggie himself is a lovely friendly man. He helped me find a nice hotel in Edinburgh and he took the time to provide me with handwritten, idiot proof directions so that I didn't get caught up in any of Edinburgh's one way systems. He also offered me overnight storage for my bike so that I did not have to take it to Edinburgh, even though I was no longer staying there.

I have stayed in lots of hotels big and small all over the world and was very impressed with the quality of service and accommodation at Castle Venlaw. What is not to like?! The location is great and the building is beautiful. With only 12 guest rooms and well trained friendly staff, you are guaranteed the personal touch to make your stay relaxing and enjoyable.

Pleasant and peaceful

by TripAdvisor Member onward

Our stay at Castle Venlaw was during a major heat wave in the area. We were pleasantly surprised to see that our family room was spacious and had an excellent cross breeze going through it. It was also an extra plus to have music playing in the room when we arrived.

When we went down for dinner we were not aware that shorts were unacceptable at dinner; however, a staff member informed us very respectfully.

The dinner was excellent and the service was as well. Possibly we arrived at a time when the hotel was busier because the staff were always in attendance when needed. My only suggestion is that during an incredible heat wave they would do something to make the guests more comfortable during their meal.

Overall I would definately stay again, but would avoid the evening meal during a heal wave unless their was a comfortable breeze blowing through the restaurant.

The hotel has easily recoqnizeable signage as you enter Peebles from Edinburgh. And Edinburgh is a short drive. The front desk staff girl pleasantly provided us with a map and showed us directions to the best parking spots in Edinburgh.

Quiet and Relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member Underwhelmed033

I agree with most of these reviews that the staff, while very polite and accomodating, weren't necessarily the 'warmest' of hosts. The bar and restaurant staff in particular were absent for most of the time except for popping out occasionally to serve food or drink. Not that we were expecting to be entertained, but at times the atmosphere was unnervingly quiet and lonely. The food itself was every bit as good as it's billed - fantastic! The romantic suite - lovely! We would certainly stay again. It's a great getaway for a couple looking to spend some 'alone' time.

A Scottish Idyll

by TripAdvisor Member bishopscurate

Looking out across Peebles from it's hillside position the hotel offers an excellent location but combines it with very comfortable accommodation, memorable meals and, most importantly, terrific management and staff.
Highly recommended.