Cardrona, Peebles, EH45 9LS, GB

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Macdonald Cardrona Hotel Golf & Country Club

What a treat

by TripAdvisor Member Clydeview

My fiance and I came here as a treat for his birthday last weekend and we had a really wonderful time. We only stayed for one night so were not really able to make the most of the fabulous golf course or even the spa facilities, but we took advantage of the excellent swimming pool and steam room.

We booked this deal through Visit Scotland and got a very reasonable room rate of £44 per person B&B. We checked in no problem at around 2.30pm and the staff were very friendly and chatty. We were given a room with views of the golf course and were delighted. The rooms are definitely slightly larger than a standard double hotel room and everything was absolutely spotless. The setting is lovely and very peaceful - I don't know where people are hearing a lot of traffic noise from.
We went straight for a swim and then enjoyed a nice refreshing beer on the terrace of Spike's Bar.
From there, we went for dinner. Again, we were given a table at the window with views over the golf course which was a lovely touch. Dinner is not cheap but it is very well prepared, and you are given good portions, not like in some hotels where the portions are not big enough for a mouse!
People have complained on here that there is limited choice on the menu. I have to disagree and say that this is standard for most good quality hotels and restaurants which NEVER offer a hundred different main courses.
They offer a choice of several main courses, two fish, two meat, vegetarian etc...and I would imagine that most people should be able to find something that they like.

We enjoyed a liqueur from the bar after dinner, which was lovely although very expensive (£7.50 for Gran Marnier and £5 for Baileys!) but if you are away for a treat then the atmosphere makes you care a bit less and spoil yourself.

Breakfast the next day was again very good, with plenty of choice and excellent service. We were given the same table as the night before and the staff were all very friendly.

Overall, I would rate this as a very good hotel. The place is spotless and the staff are very friendly and efficient. I travel all over Europe with my job and stay in hotels on a regular basis and would definitely say that this one is worth a visit.

Relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member givemeaclue

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend break. Booked it through the hotel website and got not a bad deal.
Rooms were well serviced and very clean with a powerful stand alone shower in the bathroom.
The hotel is situated about 3 miles past Peebles and overlooks the golf course and river Tweed.
The gym/swimming pool were of a very good standard with a steam room and sauna on pool side.
The food was of an excellent standard and unsure if I was just lucky but it was an entirely different menu each night with plenty of choice.
The only let down was the buffet breakfast on the Sunday morning, having previously had a made to order cooked breakfast on the Saturday morning.
The cocktail bar was also slightly cramped and busy due to Spikes bar being closed.
Overall though a reccomended place to stay.

Great stay!

by TripAdvisor Member Gillianbeattie

All staff in the hotel were very friendly. The restuarant staff were perhaps a bit too attentive with several interuptions to our meal to ask if it was ok. Which it was, the food was great, both dinner and breakfast. I was a little disappointed by the "cocktail" bar. According to the bar manager they were wrongly named as they don't make any cocktails! I had looked forward to a mojito after my meal but they have no equipment to make cocktails which apparently they are trying to rectify.
Our standard room was big with a separate shower in the bathroom which was nice.
The veiws from the hotel were excellent, overall an excellent stay.

Spa for Girls, Golf for the bhoys

by TripAdvisor Member BabyBearLincolnshire

This was booked by my husband as a Christmas present, weekend with spa treatments, whilst he played golf. I would be back there in a heartbeat. If you want luxury, scotland, good food, spa, golf then this is a highly recommended option.

Comments