Peebles Hotel Hydro

Costs 89% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Peebles Hotel Hydro

Excellent Time

by TripAdvisor Member Helen05

My husband and I, along with various members of our family, stayed at the Peebles Hydro over Christmas.

The service was excellent and everyone was very attentive. We were worried about being taken over by food, as on Christmas Day, breakfast, lunch and dinner were on offer. However, the cooking was excellent and the portions very sensible sizes. We enjoyed very relaxed meal times.

The leisure was centre was a lovely bonus and well looked after.

Great!

by TripAdvisor Member Franklin19

Stayed at Peebles Hydro from 15-17 September for my daughter's ninth birthday (at her request - she loves it!!) with my daughter and her friend. We had a massive family room which was bigger than my first flat - it had a huge bedroom for me and another entirely separate room with two bunks and a single bed (and their own TV - bonus!!) for the children, with great views from both rooms to the rear of the hotel. The large hallway and bathroom made the weekend break a fantastic experience, with ample space for everyone.

As always, plenty to do for the children - the kids club was quieter than it is in the summertime but still lots of activities to keep them amused.

We spent a lot of our time in the pool each day which was fantastic for all of us, and the putting green was also a favourite place despite the drizzle.

As a single parent I find Peebles Hydro a haven of relaxation - the children are occupied and I get a rare chance to truly chill out. We have stayed here a few times, always enjoy it and always go back! When my daughter goes for the kids activities (all day 10-4 and evenings 7-10pm) I get a chance to read, sleep, think and catch my breath. Going for dinner on my own is never a problem - I am always extremely well looked after by the wonderful dining room staff - I certainly have never had any problems about waiting - I have always found the dining room staff to be extremely attentive and diligent. If you are a vegetarian - as I am - the vegetarian options are plentiful and always of a good standard. None of your usual 'vegetarian lasagne' - thankfully - the vegetarian options (note plural, vegetarians!!) in the four course dinner are inventive and tasty. The wine list is impressive, the Polish wine waiter knows a great deal about wine in general and also, rarely these days, about pouring wine.

Breakfasts are lavish - I can't think of anything I'd want that isn't there - and as I've mentioned in a previous review - you can get breakfast to your room at no extra cost.

I think of my escapes to Peebles Hydro as an investment in my wellbeing. I always come back stronger, rested, and beautifully relaxed (and maybe a few pounds heavier thanks to the sumptuous four course dinners and tempting wine list - but hey - I'm on holiday!!).

Give it a go!!

Well worth a visit, especially with children

by TripAdvisor Member tireefan

Have just returned (13th-15th Oct) from another excellent stay at the Peebles Hydro with our children and extended family. The four children in our party aged from 1 to 7 and all were delighted with the facilities. In our experience, if the childeren are happy, we are too! I think however whether or not the children were there we would have enjoyed ourselves and therefore I distance myself from the October 5th 07 review detailed elsewhere.

The accommodation was spacious - we were in a first floor family room with bunk beds in a separate room for the chidlren and a spacious bathroom. Perhaps the hotel could do with some redecoration, but it was clean throughout and in any event service and facilities count for more in my opinion. The staff were extremely efficient and friendly and I was impressed with the fact that you never pass a member of staff in the hotel without them greeting you with a smile. Costs nothing, counts for a lot in my book!

The food was excellent, with plenty for the children to choose from in their excellent 5pm meal slot. Our dinner was impressive too - 4 courses with plenty of choice. Breakfasts were delicious too with a very good spread of continental and traditional fare.

The facilities for the children were extensive and while the weather was delightful for us, there was clearly plenty for them to do if it had been raining. The grounds are vast, with conkers to collect and a putting green and playpark close by. The pool was lovely and the playroom had much to occupy the younger children. Although we didn't have much of a chance to participate, there also appeared to be games etc organised for the older children.

All in all a very pleasant stay!

Wonderful relaxing break - even with a one year old !

by TripAdvisor Member joaniebinedinburgh

We wanted a nice night away that we could enjoy with our 13month old son. Peebles Hydro offers family rooms that have an adjoining childrens bedroom - fantastic because otherwise we tend to all wake each other up.

The room was fine and had decent toiletries, a rather lacklustre childrens toy box, but hey full marks for effort . Size wise it was good and the bathroom was a decent size, although both it and the room could do with a wee bit of redecoration.

The pool area is great for children and adults, my husband and i kept swapping so that one of us could enjoy the jacuzzi, steam room or sauna whilst the other one swooshed our son round the pool.

High tea for kiddies, what a terrific invention. Excellent selection of food, as much or as little as they wanted served in a low key wipe clean environment. Top marks from our son for his macaroni cheese, peas & sweetcorn and pineapple for dessert. Then we dispatched him off to bed switched on the baby listening service and sauntered down for our 4 course meal.

Dinner was pretty good if not overwhelming. They make the blokes wear ties and jackets for dinner and its a nice touch to try and maintain the silver service standard but not everyone was dressed smartly. Plus there were a couple of very minor things that weren't quite right. Hubby went to the loo and they still went ahead and served the main course, leaving me to guess how much veg and potato he would want on his plate. When we selected mustard this was served from a Morrisons jar. But overall it was a decent meal with the added bonus of free babysitting.

I enjoyed the pool on my own in the morning - 8.15am I was the first there. There was loads of choice at breakfast of fresh fruit, cooked breakfast including kedgeree and they were happy to look after our sons requirements.

The hotel could do with a bit of updating and retouching, think shabby chic and you will be about right. The grounds however are magnificient and wonderfully maintained, plus our son loved the play area.

If you want to pamper yourself even with rug rats in tow this is the place to go. Next time we are going to bring my parents so we can all enjoy a meal together as it also seems to be a good hotel for the more mature.

One to avoid unless you are looking for a 1950's film set.

by TripAdvisor Member Al47

Just back after 1 night from what was supposed to be a 3 day break at the Peebles Hydro. Where do i start?

Arrived at 14.00. Given the key to a room on the 3rd floor with painters and decorators outside with radio blaring. Stripped wallpaper and associated litter all around the corridor area. (We thought we had been put in the wrong room or else that the hotel was really busy). Asked the receptionist if the hotel was full to which she replied "reasonably". Told her about the state of the floor where our room was and asked if we could change room. We were then shown an "upgraded room" which could accomodate an extra bed for our 11 year old son. This was on face value a much nicer room with great views out to the front of the hotel. A bed duly arrived and 2 maids dragged it into the room and through a fitted sheet and a thin duvet over the very tatty mattress.
19.30.
Went down to dinner for a drink in the bar only to be told and shown a large sign stating "strictly no one under 18 years old allowed in the bar". I asked where we could sit as a family and enjoy a pre dinner drink? The only place to sit was in a soul less area adjacent to the reception where we found to our surprise that we were just about the only guests staying at the hotel (why the poor room we asked ourselves?). Dinner was served in a huge dull dining room just like something out of the 50's but without any atmosphere whatsoever. No music, no talking just the occassional clatter of the cutlery as the waiters and waitresses cleared the plates in front of us onto some medieval work station with opened mustard pots, biscuits for cheese etc on shelves below. The food was at best average with baskets of Melba toast much in evidence (have'nt seen that for at least 10 years)!The wine was extortionate and the silver service so painful to have to witness from our foreign waitress that i had to ask her to leave the vegatables for us to serve ourselves. I suggest the owners visit Crieff Hydro or just about any other family friendly hotel to see where they are going wrong (just about everywhere). Poor accomodation, badly trained staff who do not speak English, over priced (85.00 PP DB&B in October?), child un-friendly, stuffy old hotel. PS room 225 is a potential deathtrap as there is a radiator at the window which opens out sufficiently to let a toddler fall out. The poorest of poor and definitely one to avoid if you know what else is available in Scotland thes days.

Contemporary Suite in traditional hydro

by TripAdvisor Member Kerrs

Planned a break in Peebles and decided to go to the Hydro having previously stayed in a couple of Mc Millan Hotels. Checked out the website and decided to splash out on a two night break in the new Cademuir Spa Suite. The suite is contemporary in design - quite different from the rest of the hotel. Loved everything about it - the view from the windows; the hi-fi and cds; the complementary champagne, fruit and chocolates; dressing room and in particular the bathroom. The bathroom had heated flooring, his and her double walk in shower with body jets and a bath large enough for two. The suite also had its very own treatment room in which I enjoyed a facial. The only minor complaint related to a gurgling type noise which occured for spells during the treatment. I can't praise the suite highly enough. My son stayed overnight at the hydro in a standard room while we were there - quite different in size and style. The food was fantastic; service efficient and staff friendly. Pool large. The most expensive room we've ever booked but for a special occasion a real treat!

Never Again

by TripAdvisor Member FamilyFunEdinburgh

A family break in a suite ( no adjoining rooms available) offering accommodation for the 3 children aged 8,8 and 5 in the sitting room and a master bedroom for my husband and I. Childrens entertainment and lots of outdoor facilities. Sounds too good to be true - it was grim!
The illedgid suite was a room which had been cut in half with a ( small) sofa bed suitable for one child and the master bedroom containing two queen beds. The indoor games room was like Beruit will both pool tables trashed and all other machines broken and out of order. The Management were totally disinterested blaming outsourced suppliers. The childrens club was poorly run by a mixture of young local and Eastern European staff and pre school children complaining they were bored. The evening entertainment was lazy allowing one small group of children to sing High School musical end to end with all other children being made to watch (not inclusive and certainly not the fun and games widely advertised). The most diaapointing fact has to be the most senior manager was present during our 3 night torturous stay and not once approached us to resolve these issues. The Duty Manager closed the games room and apologised for the childcare, which led to an imporvement for one night only. Very dissappointing given the owners other hotels. Great location, great potential but needs better management to achieve the great reputation it used to have.

Faded Victorian Elegance

by TripAdvisor Member LinlithgowPeebles

Peebles Hotel Hydro - Faded Victorian Elegance
Date: 5th May, 2007
Reviewer: Martin Family, Linlithgow, West Lothian

If faded Victorian elegance is your thing, then you'll be right at home in the Peebles Hotel Hydro. I stayed there with my family over the weekend of 4th/5th May, 2007. It's an imposing property, with massive grounds and the views are spectacular. However, the charm that it no doubt once exuded, is in need of a make over to bring it in to the 21st century.

We had a family room, which included a small bunk room off the main room. Although clean and reasonably spacious, it's decor was tired and the facilities within the room limited. Our TV didn't even have teletext and as we had left for the Borders before many of the Scottish Election results were declared, we had to keep going to Reception and asking for regular updates!

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member pampamScotland

Just back from yet another stay at the Peebles Hyrdo Hotel. I always stay at the Hydro when I'm visiting the Borders as it has everything a hotel could possibly offer for all age groups and in all weathers.
It's a big enough hotel that if the weather turns for the worst there's always enough indoors to keep you occupied. The service is excellent, as the staff are first rate and try hard to please. I think it's excellent value for money.
If you had young children they'd be easily occupied with the playroom, organised games and activities. For older people the Hotel is very near the town centre and an ideal location for exploring the rest of the Borders.
Accomodation is comfortable and the room rate varies, so you get what you pay for. Don't complain of you get a basic room if you paid the basic rate!
Dining is good and well worth getting the Dinner, Bed and Breakfast option.
The view from the Hotel is just breath taking -you'll know what I mean when you visit!
What makes the Hydro that much better than any other Hotel for miles and miles around is the wonderful Staff.

rooms nothing like the brochure

by TripAdvisor Member luvtravel12

Booked an overnight stay here as my son was going on the Glentress bike trails. We called the morning of the 19th and opted for a standard room as they actually looked nicer than the executive, plus a single bikers room for my son at £45.(which is bed and breakfast, they pay extra to have meal ) The receptionist informed us we were on the special rate (we assumed cos we were a last minute booking On arrival the reception staff were very friendly and helpful although the room was not ready as there were a lot of checkouts that day.
We had room 209 and 207. They advertise rooms as spacious but our rooms were tiny. We actually thought we had one of the bikers special rooms and they had put double bed in. The decor was shabby and tv and stand dirty. The bathroom was very dated. It was like a poor B & B.
We were going to complain and upgrade but the room was just across the hall from my son so we thought what the heck its only one night. We had paid £65 each for our room and that included breakfast and evening meal so it seemed you get what you pay for. However the evening meal was disappointing. Lukewarm food and the formal dresscode just didnt seem to match up. Breakfast was continental or traditional fry up, but the pineapple segments had a fly floating in them (which was still there half an hour later when we left) and the hot sausages, ham, potato scones etc seemed to leave an after taste as if fried earlier and kept warm, you could see the grease through them but they were dried up, Yuk. I've been in huge hotels and they still manage to cater for large numbers with freshly prepared food.
All in all it was disappointing. This would have been a lovely hotel at one time and it would have been nice to have stepped back in time to see it at its best. Maybe one day they will invest some money and get it refurbished.
On a plus note the weather was beautiful and the view from our window was absolutely stunning. Surrounding gardens and scenery is maybe what sells this hotel.

Comfortable UK Hotel for short break with indoor pool , good food & suitable for 3 year old child?

by Charlie47

I would like to go away next week with my partner and three 3yr old son for a few days holiday at a comfortable hotel in the UK and was wondering if anyone could recommend one that might fit the bill. I am 33 weeks pregnant so would rather like somewhere where I could relax and maybe get a bit of pampering. My son loves swimming so we would like it to have a pool ideally indoors or heated outdoors as I don't expect the weather will be brilliant. My partner and I love to enjoy a nice evening meal with our son in bed so a good restaurant and baby listening would be a plus. It could be anywhere in the country but we were thinking of Devon or Cornwall.

and I are hoping Can anyone recommend a hotel where my partner, could would Can anyone recommend a comfortable hotel

RE: Comfortable UK Hotel for short break with indoor pool , good food & suitable for 3 year old chil

by queso

Do you want the seaside or the countryside?

by joesorce

www.crantockbayhotel.co.uk

by hawkhead

Pity you want Devon or Cornwall 'cos I was going to suggest Peebles Hydro or the Cally Hotel near Stranraer.

Comments