Barcelo Stirling Highland Hotel

Spittal Street, (formerly Paramount), Stirling, Stirling, FK8 1DU, United Kingdom
The Stirling Highland Hotel
Booking.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 38% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Barcelo Stirling Highland Hotel

Rough Stay at the Stirling Highland

by TripAdvisor Member Golf-Dawg

Upon arriving to the Stirling Highland Hotel we were informed that the "family suite" we had reserved for the last ten months for a family of four, was no longer available. We were asked to check back in an hour and they would have something for us. We had just traveled from the Western United States and had been up for about 24 hours by this point. We were tired, had two hungry little kids, needed showers and some sleep. Thankfully my parents were traveling with us and did get their room upon arrival. We hauled all 10 pieces of our parties luggage, to include two sets of golf clubs, up the stairs to the third floor and parked in their room to wait. (At this point we had not found the lift as it is tucked away and not very obvious). We checked back in at the front desk in an hour and were given keys to our rooms. They had placed my husband and I on the third floor in one of their nicer rooms that had been remodeled more recently. The problem arose when we discovered they had placed our two daughters in a separate room with twin beds down at the other end of the hotel on the second floor. As the girls are only 6 and 10 years old, this accomodation was obviously not going to be acceptable. We went back down to the desk and again explained that this arrangement would not work and were asked to check back in another hour. The next room arrangement we were given was two side by side rooms with an adjoining door on the second floor. These rooms had not been remodeled and smelled like smoke. The bed spread had a tear in it, the furniture was trashed, there were stains on the wall paper and places where it was peeling off of the walls. We again went back to the desk and said this was not acceptable and not what we had paid for. At this point we called our local travel contact in Scotland to explain the problems we were having. He made a few phone calls and we were told to go back to the front desk in 30 minutes. Wouldn't you know it....the hotel found a more recently remodeled family suite just as we had reserved 10 months ago! Our package included breakfast in the hotel dining room. The food, if it came at all, was cold. Often you had to ask for something 2-3 times before you could get it brought to your table. We witnessed people get angry and just leave the dining room. On our last day, several people at our table did not receive their food at all. The wait staff appeared young and not trained. While in the hotel we attempted to call room service and the front desk a couple of times, once to order food and ask for a few more towels as they had not given us enough. The telephone was never answered, which resulted in another trip to the front desk. Housekeeping was a mess! During the day there were dirty towels and sheets piled out in the hallways of the rooms that were being serviced. The housekeeping staff then went to the end of the hall, at the back of the hotel and threw the laundry down the opening in the stairs to a bin waiting on the bottom floor. Our group thankfully only stayed at the Stirling Hotel for three nights. The town was lovely and we enjoyed our time touring and driving around the city. I would recommend visiting the city of Stirling but would strongly suggest you find alternative accomodations. The Stirling Highland Hotel did not measure up to our expectations, the service was poor and the staff inept and lacking proper training. ~ August 2006

Not a 4 star

by TripAdvisor Member Catmum67

Stayed here thinking it was a 4 star and I would be okay...wrong! Room smelt musty and there were numerous stains including walls. Bedding did not match and looked threadbare as were bathroom towels. Reception said it was a "refurbished room" and when I asked about upgrade said - not worth the money. Bar was deserted and service was very slow. Also concerns re security as all external doors were left open and no CCTV so anyone could walk in and enter rooms.

To be fair the manager fully refunded all money next morning. This hotel is a 2 star at best.

Interesting....but glad work were paying

by TripAdvisor Member Winter_Log_Fires

This hotel neither made me smile, nor angry. The fact that the latter didn't happen was great for someone who reguarly travels with Devon Doris who has bad luck with hotels at every turn.

The hotel is quite interesting in the sense that it's an old school. It has quirky bars entitled "headmaster's study". I quite like a building with history.

Most people staying at the hotel were retired which suited me fine - but may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Dinner service was hurried and I felt slightly harassed to hurry on to the next course. Doris and I both ate Salmon and both felt sick that night. Could be co-incidence......

super location, but hotel very average

by TripAdvisor Member fliss2006

The Stirling Highland is in a beautiful location, literally 2 minutes walk from the the castle. The location is really the best thing about this hotel.

We arrived nearly 2 hours late due to a delayed flight and were horrified to find our room was not ready (this was at nearly 4pm). We told staff that we were hungry and were advised to wander off into Stirling or go to the bar. This was a booking through my partner's employer, so we had a sandwich at the bar on the company tab, but I would have been extremely unhappy to have paid £5.50 (minimum) for a poor quality sandwich and approximately 5 crisps, under the circumstances. We were given somewhere to leave our luggage, and told to come back to reception after we'd eaten! Our room was ready on our return, about 45 minutes later. Staff were polite though and did try to be helpful.

The corridors of the hotel smelt quite unpleasant, whilst the decor is reasonably clean and the corridors tidy, there was a smell of stale smoke hanging around. Our room was an average size. There were dark scuff marks on the wallpaper of the walls, which made a terrible first impression. However, we had a nice view and the bed linen was clean. The bathroom was very disappointing - there was a hair in the bath and the tile grouting didn't look particularly clean. The towels were clean and soft, no complaints there, but after removing a towel that evening for a bath I noticed a dirty, grey cleaning cloth underneath it! Also, when we tried to use the shower in the morning it just wouldn't stay on, I'm sure staff would have helped us, but we just didn't have time. It was just another annoyance, which left a pretty poor impression of this hotel all round.

Finally, I was astounded at how much I could hear from the rooms next door (without even trying!). I was awoken by a door slamming at around 2am and then proceeded to hear virtually every word spoken by the couple in that room, to the point of embarrassment. I lay rigid desperately not wanting to hear anymore, it was that bad!! Please bear this in mind.

Much better than reviews let me to expect

by TripAdvisor Member ali21i

Was concerned about our trip to this hotel after reading the reviews on this site.However was much better than expected.The rooms were very nice and definitely of a 4 star standard.The staff were all very helpful and friendly.
It was let down by some small points.The dinner cost £24.50 for three courses and yet there were no vegetables with the main courses.I presume you were susposed to order these separately but there was no separate menu suggesting this.
Maybe to show foreign tourists that Scotland has a poor diet lacking in any greens!
At breakfast despite there being 7 of us ,we were given 3 slices of toast and one small pot of tea and coffee-we had to ask for more several times.
The swimming pool was also pretty cold on 2 days out of three.
On checking out it was very hard to work out what extras we were being charged for as one childs portion of soup was broken down into 1p,99p and 98p and charged to three different rooms!
However,I would consider these to be minor niggles and would recommend the hotel for a pleasant weekend away.

expected better

by TripAdvisor Member barneyandnan

this was a gift for a 70th birthday, stayed two nights d., b&b. the bedroom was very good, clean and comfortable. the building is an old school with lots of character. however. the staff require a lot of training, especially dining-room staff. all very friendly but service extremely slow.
dinner (£25) consisted of three courses. the main course got cold on the first night as we waited for vegetables, which did not arrive! one meal consisted of a pork chop on top of sauteed potatoes in a thick gravy (making them mushy) we later found out that vegetables are an optional extra - but not mentioned on the menu. the first time we have encountered this in any hotel. the sweet on both nights: the choice was more or less the same. coffee was extra, but again not mentioned on the menu. there were long waits between each course, which for a 6-year old child was not great.
breakfast: adequate, but service very slow. asked for toast for 7 people and given 6 half-slices of toast. need more tea and coffee pots, and butter, for this number of people. asked several serving staff repeatedly for same with poor results.
leisure facilities. first day was fine. second day swimming pool much too cold, but jacuzzi fine. third day swimming pool even colder and on going to jacuzzi found this to be emptied. a notice on the desk to this effect would have been helpful.
in ;summary not what one would expect at the price charged. this is a pity, because the location and style of the hotel. could make it first class. we do not know what Americans would make of this kind of service.

b

thought 4* would be better

by TripAdvisor Member force.54

arrived on the friday afternoon for a 2 night d,b&b.thought room was really basic much like a travel lodge.dumped the bags and went for sauna,spa and steam room,place was full of kids using these facilitys although it states you must be 16.on the saturday our table was booked for 8.30pm and we were looking forward to our dinner,table was not ready and was asked to sit in the bar and wait 5 min ,15 mins came and went and then 2 couples went in to be seated and never came back out ,the manager had forgot about us.had to send dinner back as it was cold . we came for a relaxing time away from the kids ,it would have been more relaxing back home.they charge 4* prices but dont give the service or quality to match

A Hotel with no food

by TripAdvisor Member freedomone

My self and my wife booked this hotel for new years eve. That night there were severe weather warnings for southern Scotland. High winds and torential rain. At 7pm I went to reception to enquire where the resurant was. I was told that unless I had pre booked a dinner dance event which I knew nothing about, there was no food available that night.
I was given a rather crude street map torn out of a guide with crosses marking various resturants in town.
Soaking wet and cold we found somewhere to eat.
This is a 4star establishment who charge mega prices If you anticipate staying there I suggest that you bring you own food
just in case.
G.I.H.

read the small print

by TripAdvisor Member dollyann

Stayed overnight on business trip. Arrived 7.30pm and decided to order a sandwich via room service. Chicken sandwich, which was very ordinary on thin sliced supermarket bread, and a bottle of mineral water cost £15!!. Then noticed small print on room service menu, £4 "tray charge". What a rip off, would have gone down the stairs and collected it myself. Won't be back.

accomodation...

hi

we will stay 4 days in stirling (and suburbs) in october and need an accomadation hotel/B&B in the city itself; indeed, we have a gig on the tolbooth the first night.
we need 1 double room and 2 singles.

somebody has an idea?

tnx

phil

by hawkhead

You could try the Munro Guest House, 14 Princes Street - www.munroguesthouse.co.uk
Or if you have transport, there's an Express by Holiday Inn, also the King Robert Hotel.
Stirling is not a big place, so any place that says it's 5-10 minutes from the Castle should be okay.

tnx for the answer :-)

by local_guide

If you contact the tourist information office in Stirling, they should be able to supply you with a list of reasonably priced Bed and Breakfasts.

There are lots of restaurants in the central area, so you should be able to get an evening meal easily. I would tend to avoid the Highland Hotel Masters' restaurant. We were very disappointed last time we ate there.

The East India Company (Indian Restaurant) has what I think is a very good buffet.

Hope you have a good gig.

by phil1908

tnx for the advise too :-)

by zizkov

Well, the Youth Hostel is the closest place to the Tolbooth, and the cheapest! Next closest is Stirling Highland Hotel (probably most expensive), and the Portcullis (not very cheap) is next nearest. Tourist office is probably best bet, as the two singles might be a problem. The 'chain' choices (Holiday Inn, Travelodge, Premier Travel Inn) are all a bit out of centre. Good luck with the gig.

by phil1908

I finally reserved at the Munro guesthouse, Princess street. Do someone know the place?

Comments