Gartmore House

Gartmore, Stirling, Gartmore, FK8 3RS, United Kingdom
Gartmore House
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Stirling

the Wallace memorial on the hillthe Wallace memorial on the hill

Inside the ChapelInside the Chapel

Stirling Castle (Scotland, U.K.)Stirling Castle (Scotland, U.K.)

Stirling (Scotland, U.K.)Stirling (Scotland, U.K.)

Stirling and Doune in one day

by kevarms

Hi, Planning a short break in Scotland. My plan so far is :
Monday: arrive Edinburgh 14:20, train to Stirling, spend night there
Tuesday: bus to Doune, back to Stirling for castle and bus tour, train back to Edinburgh in the evening.

Is it feasible to do Stirling and Doune in one day?

Thanks,
Kevin

by df53

totally, Doune is just up the road.

by local_guide

Stirling and Doune are very close together, but to be honest I don't think there's much to see in Doune.

Stirling has the Castle and , if you're fit, you could climb the Wallace Monument, (near the university). Just a short hop on the bus or train would take you to Dunblane, which is a very nice village/town, which because it has a cathedral is entitled to call itself a city!

You may find the Stirling ghost walk a fun thing to do in the evening. There's an adult and a children's version.

Hope you have a lovely time.

by kevarms

I don't have much choice about Doune. The wife is a Monty Python fanatic. Thanks for the tip about the ghost tour though. That might be fun.

Travel Tips for Stirling

Stirling Castle Detail

by CdnJane

I have a great love for Stirling Castle, although I couldnt tell you facts and figures about it, it is just the feel and look of the castle that touches me somehow. I can never get tired of visiting it, or the area around. Each time I go, I see something else that catches my eye. This is one of the details of the gargoyles of the castle. If I remember correctly, this was King James (the 6th, I think), but I could be wrong on that fact. I can never get tired of visiting it, or the area around. Each time I go, I see something else that catches my eye. This is one of the details of the gargoyles of the castle. If I remember correctly, this was King James (the 6th, I think), but I could be wrong on that fact.

The Argaty estate

by margaretvn

About 2 miles out of Doune and well signposted is the Argaty Estate. This farm offers visitors the chance to watch Red Kites flying in the area. There is a hide where you can sit and watch the birds but you can also go with a guide to the area on a guided walk. We were there early in the morning and the notice said that the kites are not often seen in the morning but we were so lucky and saw them flying and also sitting in the trees.
These beautiful birds were driven to extinction by persecution 130 years but have now been re-introduced to central Scotland by the RSPB.
There is an honesty box with the suggestion of a 4 pound donation for adults. the parking area is rough and you have to walk through part of the farm - but seeing these wonderful birds of prey flying free makes the visit worth while.

Dumyat and the Ochils

by KennetRose

Dumyat (pronounced Doo - My - AT), the hill that dominates the town, makes a lovely short climb, and the views make the ascent well worth it.

Alternatively, you could just stay below and delight in the way it changes its mood with the shifting light.

DOLLAR GLEN

by hevbell

There is a road up to Castle Campbell from the town of Dollar but parking is very limited. The other alternative is to park in Dollar and walk up through the park and then up Dollar Glen by the burn. The climb does get a little steep near the end but its mostly not too bad and its a nice walk through the woods and passed a couple of waterfalls - there a couple more if you follow the path further round past the castle. I wouldn't recommend this way if you aren't very fit though, I was pretty relieved to see the park bench at the top of the path!!!

Loup O Fintry

by zizkov

This is a cascade, actually quite a way from Stirling, and would probably be included in a trip to Fintry, if you wanted a tour of some countryside. There are several ways to reach it, but the most interesting, if you have the nerve to drive it, is the very narrow road from the North Third. It can also be reached along the somewhat wider B818 from Denny or Fintry. Loup, for non Scots, means leap. Another name is the Endrick Falls, the river being the Endrick, which flows to Glasgow. The watershed kind of crosses here, with the Carron flowing East, and the Endrick, West.

There is rough parking on the verge of the road, and a path walk of around ten minutes to the falls - in summmer through head high bracken at points. Don't fall in!

Location is about six miles west of Carronbridge, three east of Fintry. There is a small signpost, but you could easily miss it. I made this trip on a hot sunny July evening, when I just wanted to get out into the country (after baking in the sun before).

Comments