Cairndale Hotel And Leisure Club

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Cairndale Hotel And Leisure Club

Awful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rockyrodgers

I stayed at the Cairndale Hotel for one night in May.

My room was small, shabby, badly lit, old fashioned and not what I expected for the price.

One lady in reception was very unproffesional. She kept guessing where everyone who came in was from, and always got it wrong. I also had problems booking - double check you are booked in if you go here. Then after I checked in, I went down to reception to ask for something, the lady said I wasn't checked in. There is very bad administration here!

The restaurant was delicious - the only good thing about the hotel.

I would not recommend here at all.

No hesitation to return

by TripAdvisor Member whipeout

Just returned from a 3 night golf break, and would have no hesitation to return. The golf co-ordinator at the hotel (Michael Dickie) could not have been more helpful,as we unfortunately had to make a number of alterations to our original booking, but all changes were made without fuss, and he even ordered buggies, and entered us into an "open " competition to reduce costs,etc.

I read the largely mixed comments after I had booked, so was unsure as to how pleasant the stay would be. Our room was clean, modern and comfortable, albeit the only view was a roof. We stayed on a DBB basis. As there was not much difference in the price for B&B we were not too concerned if the food was not up to much as we would have walked the 2 or 3 minutes into town and paid for dinner. I have got to say the dinner on all three nights was excellent (4 courses) and we had no need to eat outside the hotel. Leisure complex was good and clean.

Our only downside was that our room appeared to be on top of a function room where a wedding took place on the Sat evening and you could hear every word of the live entertainment until 1am, perhaps wedding guests who were staying at the hotel would have been better placed in these rooms.

Enjoyed our stay

by TripAdvisor Member notlaw

Stayed for two nights on B+B basis 2nd and 3rd August 2007. After reading reviews on trip adviser we were apprehensive about small rooms; poor showers and noise from functions but was booked into a spacious well equipped room and no problems with noise from functions - just noisy guests coming to bed after 11pm!! The shower was poor but it could be improved with a replacement shower head. Bathroom a little dated but adequate. Used gym, pool, wet room, sauna and jacuzzi which were excellent facilities. Breakfast was help yourself buffet and had a good choice. Service from hotel staff was good. Would certainly recommend Room 15 !!

OK

by TripAdvisor Member panjack

I stayed with my wife and in-laws on the night of the 21st August. We had booked 2 double or twin rooms on the Visit Scotland website.

The check-in was quick and efficient, and we were sent up to our rooms - which turned out to be 2 single bedded rooms! When we went back down to point out the mistake to the receptionist, she turned to the Executive Housekeeper and said “Is room 86 not a double?”. We were then asked to take a seat while they fixed the problem. After about 5 minutes of discussion with her manager in the back office (the door was open), she came back out with 2 double rooms and said “I’m sorry, the booking only came down to us as 2 single rooms”. This a poor attempt at covering up the fact there was a large tour group checking in after us, and we had intentionally been bumped so as to accommodate this group’s requirements.

The bedrooms themselves were pleasantly and tastefully furnished (we had two of the newly refurbished rooms), and the shower pressure was more than fine. The bed although small (no way that a queen or king would ever fit) was perfectly comfortable.

We used the pool/spa facilities, and they were good, clean and well maintained.

We stopped by the lobby bar for a drink, and it appears ‘Francis’ was having a bad night. Service was given with nothing close to a smile. When he was refilling some of his glassware, he was having a tantrum and thumping them onto the shelf. When he actually broke one, he threw it into the bin on the other side of the bar where it smashed. This is UNACCEPTABLE behaviour which should never be displayed by staff in any establishment.

Dinner in Rievers was perfectly acceptable - the food was better than the service, though the staff did try hard! The service is just not quite at the level where it matches the food.

Overall, our stay was ok. I believe that it is the staff that make all the difference to a hotel - they have some way to go yet, however, the product itself is good, worthy of it’s 3 star status.

Poor quality for money

by TripAdvisor Member AshleyQ

As doonhamers who no longer live in Dumfries, I can't believe how much this hotel has declined in recent years. For a long time I'd recommended it as somewhere to stay for people arriving from out of town. In future I will think twice.

My husband booked an Executive double room for us to stay in after our wedding at Easterbrook Hall in August. He checked in during the day so that when we arrived at 1.30am the night porter would only have to give us our key. This he did - but to the wrong room. The poor person, who we woke that night, must have received a considerable shock to find a stranger opening his door at that time. Indeed, the occupant did let out a scream and no doubt complained to management the following day. Fortunately, my new husband hadn't decided to lift me over the threshold and throw me on the bed....

When we eventually got the key to the correct room, we found it rather dark and dingy and had clearly not been refurbished for quite some time. The bathroom, while clean and tidy, looked as if it had had some repair work done on the wall above the toilet but it appeared as if this hadn't been finished properly.

This could have been overlooked if it had not been for the fact that when we switched the light off, it started to flash like a strobe - resulting in my husband risking burning his hand by removing the bulb.

Overall, not what we expected given my husband had paid £115 for a room which he presumed, given the rating of the hotel, would be of reasonable quality. We would have complained in the morning but we were glad to leave and get off on our honeymoon.

Lovely relaxing stay at the Cairndale

by TripAdvisor Member madmentalmo

We stayed at the Cairndale on 27th October 2007 for an overnight for my mother's 60th . My mum , sister & I were all in the one room and it was very spacious & clean. The staff were very helpful and could not do enough for us.We dined in the Reivers restaurant, it was delicious and again the service was second to none and the food was superb. The breakfast was good as well, so much choice and everything was delicious. We took use of the swimming pool, sauna & steam room & spa- again the area was spotless. I could not fault the hotel on any aspect and we all had a marvellous time and would certainly return- great value for money and worth every penny!!

Cant fault the Cairndale

by TripAdvisor Member mckenzie123

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights, the rooms were clean and i cant fault the hotel. The leisure facilities were excellent. I would definately reccommend the hotel to any age group. The staff at the hotel and at Classic Britain were very helpful and polite which made the stay even better.

Excellent stay

by TripAdvisor Member borak

Friendly staff. Good food. What more can I say. we were at one of the Cabaret nights, thoroughly enjoyed ourself. The band were pretty good 70's style rockers playing stuff that the mixed age audience liked.The health club looked good but we didn't get to try it properly.
In all a good time had by all.The manager told us that they had been redecorating rooms. It shows. Nicer than the last time we were there .

Not the best we have stayed in!!!

by TripAdvisor Member ScottBaillie

Booked an excecutive room( room 32 ) and when we open the door to it, to say we were dissapointed is an understatement, there was a musty smell and definately not excecutive standard. We telephoned reception to complain and to be fair they never even queried the standard. Second room was number 45, better quality but had two single beds pushed together, the windows were wide open, despite Dumfries having temperatures as low as -11 degrees that week and the only form of heating was a panel heater on the wall. We requested another heater be put in the room while we sat for an hour in the bar while waiting on the temperature to reach an acceptable level. On our return the heater had been left in the corridor?? and not in the room, as we were attending a function in the hotel that night my wife went for a shower and when she got out the bathroom floor was flooded. Again we telephoned the reception and the manageress came up to the room and agreed that the standards were not acceptable and moved us to a suite which was a lot better. Would we stay here again? probably not, unless we had one of the refurbished rooms with adequete heating. The meal at the tribute night I might add was very good, as was the tribute band.

Talk about power showers !

by TripAdvisor Member EdinburghBiker

I stayed at the Cairndale for a week on business during September 2007. I booked the hotel as it is advertised as having free wi-fi which I needed, initially however I was checked into a room in the annexe to the hotel where there was no wi-fi signal.
I spoke to reception about this the next morning and although very busy checking out a large golfing party they promised to attend to this and move my stuff (with my permission) to a room in the main hotel with wi-fi recption. Good to their word I was moved to a very nice and recently refurbished room with a small balcony on the corner on the first floor of the hotel on my return from work that afternoon. During my stay there there seemed to be quite a bit of refurbishment taking place the corridor outside my room for instance was being re-painted throughout my stay.

The room I was given was beautifully furnished with a large en-suite bathroom complete with a large walk in shower with the most powerful shower I have ever experienced inside !

The double bed was very comfortable indeed with a good selection of pillows and cushions.

The television gave a variety of satellite and terrestial channels.

Wi-fi reception was good in this room and I never saw a speed of less than 2 Megs during my stay.

Breakfast was in the downstairs restaurant and while I was there it was very busy with many golf parties however the staff there were well organised by the restaurant supervisor who ensured that we always found a table. The buffet style breakfast was well stocked except for one morning when the supervisor was not there and there were shortages of food and tables were unavailable due to plates not being cleared away from previous diners.

The breakfast itself was good comprising the usual cereals, fruit & cooked offerings. An order for tea or coffee & toast was taken when you arrived down for breakfast & served to your table.

I was very comfortable during my stay in this hotel and would (and probably will) happily stay there again

Comments