Gretna Green, Dumfriesshire, Gretna Green, DG16 5DY, United Kingdom

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Gretna Hall Hotel

Our Wedding at Gretna Hall Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member juceelucy

We have just returned home from Gretna Green. We were married at the "World Famous" Blacksmith Shop in Gretna Green on Thursday 12 July 2007. We were staying at Gretna Hall Hotel, for 4 nights we also had our wedding reception there in the Annandale Suite. Gretna Hall Hotel is encapulated in beautiful gardens and water features within the grounds. The grounds offered beautiful settings for our wedding photographs.

Food in Hotel

The hotel I have to admit does not totally reflect the beauty the grounds. On the first evening of our stay we dined at the hotel. We decided on a bar meal. Something nice and casual. Unfortunately the service was a little slow and some people got their meal before others. This caused people to either feel obligated to wait until the other food had arrived and therefore eating cold food. Most of the employees are Polish and unfortunately there was a language barrier. Resulting in wrong orders of drink and food being taken. This I have to admit did not instill confidence in me regarding my wedding reception which was to take place 2 days later.

Wedding Reception At Gretna Hall Hotel

Thankfully, I can say my wedding reception meal was really lovely. We had a gentleman called Brian who was our co-ordinator for the evening. This guy was fabulous. He looked after my husband, me I and especially our guests. He showed professionalism and knowledge of someone very experienced in wedding receptions. He made my guests, my husband and I feel very special on our special day.

Bedrooms In Gretna Hall Hotel

We booked to stay 4 nights at the hotel. 2 nights in a double room, wedding night in Bridal Suite and the 4th night in another double room. The first double room offered limited view as it was located to the back hotel. The room was very small. Not much room for storage eg empty suitcases etc. The shower in our room showed signs of wear and tear (bit rusty in parts) also the shower head itself was dirty as well.

Queensbury Clayton Suite

The Bridal Suite was the best night of our stay. We stayed in the Queensbury Clayton Room. This room overlooks the driveway up to Gretna Hall Hotel and offers beautiful views of the hotel grounds. The Queensbury Clayton suite offers 3 rooms. Upon entering the Suite you enter into a dressing/sitting area. To your right is the bathroom. The bathroom was beautiful but the shower took 5 minutes to heat up and the water piddled out. So don't expect a quick hot shower. The Bridal suite has a large 4 poster bed. The bed was very comfortable. Complimentary Champagne and chocolates and fruit were in the room upon our arrival. On our last night at the hotel we asked to be put into a bigger double room. We were given room 220 which was located on the 3rd floor and overlooked the front of the hotel. This room was a nicer room. The bathroom was far nicer than the first double room we had. The double bed within the room in our opinion was too small. My husband's feet dangled off the end of the bed and he is 5ft 11.

Overall opinion of the hotel. We enjoyed our stay at Gretna Hall Hotel though some of the staff were not as approachable as we had hoped. The food was passable most of the time. Breakfast was very disappointing indeed. We did not get a nice breakfast at any time during our stay. The rooms were ok but if I go back to Gretna Green we would more than likely choose to stay at another hotel.

return trip

by TripAdvisor Member ceach

stayed in gretna hall hotel last aug when we got married in gretna last year returned for our 1st anniversary and my 50th birthday even managed to get the same room.staff were very friendly food was fab booked through easybreaks great value for money only downside some public areas need repairing (carpets etc) but would recommend hotel and would certainly return also location is good.

Not great!

by TripAdvisor Member MrsBNorfolk

Stayed here for 2 nights to get married in Gretna. On arrival i found that the room i had been allocated was barely big enough to swing a cat let alone get ready for my big day. Had booked this hotel for 17 guests that came with of which, 6 had to change rooms as they were not happy. It was very embarrassing and the fuss that was made about room changes was no credit to the staff of the hotel. When i tried to ask for an upgrade, which bearing in mind i was the bride, a great fuss was made and all i got offered was the bridal suite which i had to pay an extra £75 for. In all honesty i would of paid anything for a decent room on the biggest day of my life, however the bridal suite was not worth the money. It had a four poster bed which was about to break, a small lounge area, no natural light, just two windows which let in very little air or light. Very small bathroom, not good.
The food was ok and we made the most of our stay and had a wonderful wedding(which was not at the hotel)
My advice if you are thinking of staying here is DONT!

Our great stay

by TripAdvisor Member r_evans7

We held our wedding on the 13th July at the blacksmiths workshop and the reception at the annandale and criffel suite. We also had rooms booked for freinds within the hotel as well as the bridal suite wakefield turner. All of the above were comfortable and well laid out The bridal suite had complementery champagne, chocolates and a single rose for the bride and fruit basket. Tea coffee and hot chocolate were provided to make hot drinks and were replenished without any charge each day. The linen was changed without fuss in the morning and the cleaning staff could not be more obliging. The staff are mostly polish or kosovan but speak better english than me and on the whole could not be more accomodating despite the very long hours they work. This is the only problem i had about our stay one member of staff was serving breakfast at 07:30 and was in the bar area all day serving drinks ect at 01:30 was clearing our reception area ready for breakfast and again at 08:00 was serving breakfast. I happend to walk the grounds latter in the day and found the staff quaters in some very inadiquate porter cabins at the back of the blacksmiths workshop. However in all the hotel was splendid The grounds beautiful, and my wife and i had a fairy tale weekend. All our guests were happy and we all went home full of fond memories

Thank you to the staff and managment for making our day so complete

Wedding Inc

by TripAdvisor Member Lizzie85

Having stayed in the Swallow Hotel in Durham several years ago, we thought the standards would be the same, what a shock we had.

The check- in experience was dire, the room was the most awful room we have ever stayed in, it was tiny and over looked rooms behind us so for privacy blinds and curtains had to be kept closed. The bathroom was dirty and full of hair on the surfaces and floor. The carpets in the main hotel were frayed and taped up in placesThe breakfasts were not very good but the service was.

One morning at breakfast the dining room was invaded by a group of women and their off spring clad in ther night attire fluffy slippers as well!!

I would never recomend anyone to stay at this hotel or even Gretna Green itself. Just drive straight through.

Horrible!

by TripAdvisor Member VeryW

We stayed here for one night at a price of £108. This was a terrible hotel to stay in. If you are thinking of getting married here please think again!
If I could rate this hotel with a minus number I would! Terrible place to stay!
Carpets are threadbare and taped down.
Shower does not work
Strobe lighting in the bathroom
We are covered in bites after staying there
Breakfast is awful etc etc

OK....what more can I say!

by TripAdvisor Member taff22

Stayed here for brothers wedding having travelled from Australia. Our 2nd floor room in the extension part of the building was comfortable and clean and relatively roomy with a pleasant view out the front of the hotel. Road noise was NOT excessive as suggested below. The main corridors do show some signs of wear and tear and the food is not top notch but is ok.
The wedding ceremony in the smithy's was really lovely and very touching, although it was a little bizarre to see multiple brides running around all day! The grounds were also lovely for photos. All in all, wouldn't have chosen it for my own wedding, but it was a touching ceremony and an acceptable hotel. There are however other options in the village, including some pleasant looking B&B's just a stone's throw away that may be worth looking at instead.
And remember that there doesn't seem to be a supermarket or offie around, so you may want to bring some bubbly for room celebrations!

Great stay in October 2007

by TripAdvisor Member sonsdad

I went in October 2007 on a walking break with a group of 46. I don't know of anyone who complained. The rooms were fine, food very good and the staff very helpful. The breakfast choice was the best I have seen in any hotel. The evening meals were splendid with four excellent course's, well presented and well served. The wine waiter was a true professional. I sometimes wonder what the people writing to Trip Advisor want from life!

terrible

by TripAdvisor Member shaz69b

Stayed at this hotel for my sister wedding, it was terrible. the food served up was not fit for eating, the wedding meal was just disgusting. People refused to eat it. shower in room did not work and hotel in terrible condition. When made complaint senior staff were not interested. Total waste of money and my sister wedding was spoiled by this hotel. would nit recommend at all.

Absolutely awful

by TripAdvisor Member dawnandrews

We booked two nights here to compliment our wedding plans, bad move!!!!!!! We were married in the blacksmiths workshop behind the hotel and this was as we'd dreamed it would be, professional, organised and we were made to feel special, the hotel unfortunately was not!!! The reception staff were miserable and not welcoming. My friend and mother were sharing a room, they had booked a twin but were given a double, when we asked for the room to be changed we were met with a a receptionist who made us feel like it was the biggest chore in the world!!!!! The room we stayed was tiny, the window did not open so it was very stuffy and it was dirty. The carpets are still threadbare throughout the hotel and the decor is old and worn. Getting basics like a drink at the bar or a coffee was nearly impossible as there was one poor boy being bar staff, waiter and blowing up balloons etc in the function room!!!!!! We ordered bar food the night before our wedding and were served what was allegedly a roast beef dinner, this was sent back as it was disgusting! We decided to complain there and then as we were due to have the same for our wedding meal, the wedding planner assured us that she would address this but sure enough we got the same frozen potatoes, mushy frozen veg and processed meat that was not fit to feed my cat!!! Our food was sent back but the replacement was no better so a lot of food was wasted as it was totally inedible. If you want to spend you hard earned money for such a special day on a good hotel, don't be fooled by the pictures, DON'T stay here!!!!!!!

Comments