Westoun, Near Coalburn, Lanark, ML11 0NH, United Kingdom
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Craigend Bed and Breakfast

Spoilt forever by this amazing B&B

by TripAdvisor Member platters

I have never felf compelled to write a review of anywhere before, but this place was so fantastic that I felt I just had to. My husband and I had planned a two week holiday in the south of Scotland and I had meticulously planned our trip down to the last detail. We were booked into 5 different B&B's from Edinburgh to Ayr.

The first place we stayed was Craigend Bed and Breakfast for 4 nights. Right from the moment we arrived we were bowled over. The house is absolutely beautiful and the surroundings were stunning. There is literally not a bit of the property which hasn't been lovingly looked after. The rooms are out of this world (we had a peek at the others!) everything is fresh and new. The rooms, bathrooms, everything is spotless. The beds are the MOST comfortable I have ever slept in away from home, even the bed linen is out of this world....where else would you get a choice of 3 different types of pillow?! The shower we had was incredible, even the towels were extra fluffly!

After the best nights sleep came the breakfast! Everything was so lovely and fresh we ate the lot, and there was a LOT! We met some lovely people who were also staying and it was so nice to sit at the same table and have a chat, we could barely drag ourselves away! Heather and John are on hand with all the information you could ever need, there is not a road route John does not know! And if they don't know something they get on the computer and print it out for you!!!

After four wonderful nights we went on to our next stop and instantly wished we were back at Craigend. It wasn't that the place we went on to was particularly bad, it was just we had been so spoilt by Heather and John we just kept comparing everything. This pattern was repeated at all the other B&B's we stayed at, none of them were a nice as Craigend. What made it worse was that we could have stayed the whole two weeks at Craigend and still been able to get everywhere we wanted to go and probably without as much time spent sitting in traffic! We did try to cancel our other B&B's and get back to Craigend, but as you would expect they were already full.

Heather and John were born to do this job. There is nothing they haven't thought of and nothing is too much trouble. This B&B is the benchmark by which all other B&B's should be measured. I cannot rave about it enough (as you can probably tell!). If you get the chance to stay here, take it, and stay as long as you can because you'll regret it if you don't!

The BEST B&B anywhere

by TripAdvisor Member ManchesterNomad

The nature of my work means that I am frequently sent all over the country for extended peiods of time and stay in an assortment of B&B's and hotels. Usually these are adequate and I leave with no particular compunction to return or memory of my experience. Craigend has proved to be a delightful exception to this rule. I was made to feel so welcome and so comfortable that I was actually quite sorry when my job ended and I had to leave.

To start with, Craigend is set in the most tranquil of settings, the countryside and walks around the house are wonderful and just what one needs at the end of a long day. I was able to go for pleasant evening walks and wake up with nothing but bird song. A far cry from the sounds that normally wake me up when working away from home.

During my time I stayed in all three of the rooms at Craigend and they were all extremely comfortable. The Ardverikie is the most stunning. All of the rooms are very well equipped, modern and fresh. The standards of cleanliness are extremely high and I have to say those standards did not falter at all. I have found that when staying in one place for an extended period, the proprietors tend to become a bit lax in their approach, but at Craigend every day was like the first, perfect.

The breakfast at Craigend is enough to keep a grown man going for an entire day. The standard of cooking and the produce used is superb. As hard as I tried to take the healthy option it all went out of the window as soon as i saw the other guests tucking in. The diet has started now, but I am getting hungry just writing about it.

But more important than all of this are Heather and John. They are both wonderful people who have created a really warm and welcoming place to stay. Working away from home is never easy, but here I felt relaxed and at home and it made the whole job far more enjoyable. The success of this place is not just the decor or the food, it is the friendly and relaxed enviromnment that has been created by Heather and Jonn. This to me is the unseen 'IT' factor that you cannot measure with stars or by looking at a website.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Craigend and will be volunteering should a contract come up in the area again as I know just where to stay. If you get the chance to stay here I would highly recommend it, although I should imagine that being able to book in will become harder and harder the better known this place becomes.

On the road to the highlands

by TripAdvisor Member stroudtripper

Good Bits:
Really warm welcome (the owner is lovely and they have a new boiler!).
Outstanding Breakfast.
Beautiful setting and quiet.
Really well placed for a stop over on the road to the highlands.
Near the New Lanark world heritage site and Glasgow.
Nice modern rooms with brand new ensuite.
The owner recommended a really good inn for an evening meal.
Bad Bits:
None really, apart perhaps from finding it on a dark night. It is down a long lane, there are signs, so keep an eye out for them. Keep on going right to the end, you will get there. Our satnav was a bit vague about the actual position for the postcode, it found the correct road but not the house.

What a great B&B, if you have hit this link don't hesitate to book

by TripAdvisor Member MuffinAustralia

What a great place, we cannot rave about this fantastic B&B enough.

We had spent many months planning our trip throughout the UK and Scotland, coming all the way from Australia we weren't sure what to expect from the accommodation we had chosen from half way around the world. I can say without hesitation that this was the best B&B during our entire trip.

Our room was spacious and wonderfully presented. You really feel that care has gone in the presentation and the extra little touches just add to an already fantastic experience.

If you have hit on this link and are reading these reviews don't hesitate in clicking the button to book what I guarantee to be a great choice in B&B.

Sarah Allesch

Lovely Lanark......."Home from Home "at Craigend B&B

by TripAdvisor Member CMTBelge

Craigend B&B is by far the best B&B ever in a beautiful setting with beautiful bedrooms with the best duvets I have ever slept in. Our room was extremely comfortable light &airy but also cosy & warm.with a great shower too, Our hosts Heather & John were very welcoming ,friendly, fun & helpful and cooked the best breakfast we've ever had! I don't think we needed lunch for the whole of our stay! We went on many a walk in the surrounding countryside, including an early morning hike to see Wallace Cave. We went to the Falls of Clyde where we we lucky enough to watch the Perrgrine Falcons on their nest, an amazing experience & we took a trip to Loch Lomand which is such a gorgeous place. All in all an absolutely fab trip,which was made even more special by the warmth and friendliness we received at Craigend B &B. We are looking forward our next stay and our dog is hoping to join us too!

Fantastic B&B

by TripAdvisor Member TonyandBabs

An extremely well furbished and well run B&B, which was ideal for our stop-off when travelling south from the Highlands to the Lake District. Heather was a very professional and personable hostess, who made sure that all the guests needs were catered for. The breakfast was one of the best that we have had the pleasure of devouring at a B&B. The room was outstanding with many little extras that helped to make all the difference.

Thanks to Heather for a lovely stay. Fully recommended and we hope to visit again soon.

Tony & Babs Hubbold

Scotland's best B&B

by TripAdvisor Member R-A20012005

Thanks to the perfect route description on the website we did find the well hidden B&B Craigend quite easily.
We experienced a very warm welcome from Heather, John, Tobey and Hector ;-) and enjoyed 5 lovely days with them. I know a lot of B&B all over Britain and Ireland but Craigend is definitely one of the best, maybe THE BEST I ever stayed it. Delicious breakfast, warm hospitality, great room (Ardverikie Suite!!!!!!!!!!) and a friendly Scottish atmosphere.
If you are ever looking for a B&B in South Lanarkshire, go for this one!
BIG THANKS AGAIN TO HEATHER & JOHN!!

very freindly welcome and lovely room

by TripAdvisor Member winchgrinder

I was confident I would like this place from the moment I made contact by phone. A very warm welcome and very comfortable room. Modern decor and spotlessly presented. Although a little off the beaten track, affordable, quality accommodation is always worth seeking out and despite Heathers reservations, the sat nav delivered me exactly to the doorstep. My only regret was not being able to spend more time chatting to such a charming couple.

Wow, what a place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member leghornthepiper

This was my first experience outside of North America. It could not have been better. Don't know that I have ever stayed at a five star hotel, but I imagine it to be much like Craigend. I'm saving my money for a return trip.

Absolute Perfection!

by TripAdvisor Member AlliterativeAmarillo

This secluded little Bed & Breakfast is a real gem. Everything about our stay was perfect from the warm reception we received to the spotless, clean, comfortable room to the fabulous traditional Scottish breakfast served every morning. Exceeded all expectations.

Comments