29-35 Bruce St, Dunfermline, KY12 7AG, GB

Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

Good on weekdays

I've recommended this place to an auditor who visited my work but as it sits ontop of a busy club I would think twice about using it on a weekend. His view was that it was very nice and good value at £60 for a last minute deal. Ample parking is available in the Glen car park off Bridge St.

Our audit went well too!

• planxty's Profile Photo

A good choice during the week.

On a recent trip to Dunfermline, I was looking for somewhere reasonably inexpensive and central to stay and Rooms at 29 Bruce Street was suggested. I stayed there a couple of nights and was well-pleased with my choice. I should say that I had read some negative reviews online and was a little apprehensive but I have stayed in all sorts of places all over the world and a place to stay is merely that for me, a bed for the night and somewhere to have a wash and brush up. I don't usually do posh places so I wasn't overly worried. In the event, whatever possible issues there may have been previously, I did not encounter anything negative.

I am not sure what the building originally was. It stands adjacent to what is now a nightclub that looks like it was once a Church and this building may have been a Church Hall or something similar before, it certainly has that look from the outside as you can see from the image. It is the nightclub which gives rise to the title of this tip. I stayed there midweek and it was fine but I understand that the noise of the nightclub may be an issue at weekends. In fairnesss to them, they do actually state this on their website which is decent of them. The ground floor here also boasts a bar / restaurant so you would never have to leave the complex if you did not want to. The restaurant doubles as the breakfast room and although I did not have breakfast (I rarely do) my travel companion declared it to be perfectly acceptable.

On arrival, the reception desk was unoccupied (as per the image) but a wander into the bar brought a friendly member of staff in short order. The room was clean and comfortable (the bed was very good) and had all the things you would expect in such a place like tea / coffee making facilities, TV, towels etc. The images probably give a better impression than I can. My room was at the front of the building but road noise was not a problem as the street outside is quiet at night.

There is no immediate on-site parking but travellers can use the public car-park down the small alleyway beside the premises. It is large and there appears to be plenty of space there.

Oddly in this day and age, the establishment does not seem to have it's own website therefore I cannot provide one, nor even a telephone number. The room was booked through one of the numerous booking websites which feature it. Just pick your favourite and use it.

All in all, this is a reasonably priced and comfortable establishment in a very convenient central location and I recommend it.

Unique Quality: Apart from the slightly quirky architecture there is nothing unique about this place, it is just a decent place to stay in Dunfermline.

More about Dunfermline

Not all that different from beforeNot all that different from before

Worth a crawl up the hillWorth a crawl up the hill

Sneaked in for a pic of the empty groundSneaked in for a pic of the empty ground

Mary & Fiona against the slate rear wallMary & Fiona against the slate rear wall

Travel Tips for Dunfermline

Dunfermline, Fife.

by spikester

Come and see the mighty "Pars" Dunfermline Athletic (football) at East End Park, Halbeath Road, Dunfermline. Struggling this season but we will return to our rightfull place in the Scottish SPL!!

The Abbey where Robert the Bruce is buried, well most of him! His Heart is aledgedly in Melrose.

The Glen - Pittencrieff Park where Andrew Carnagie once looked through the gates as a boy and stated that he would own the Land one day and give it to the people of Dunfermline. He did after his steel exploits in America. He gave so much more to the people of Dunfermline which are to much to mention.

Edinburgh is only a few miles away after you cross either the Forth Rail Bridge or the Road Bridge. Best time to come is when the Edinburgh Festival is on in August. Far cheaper hotels and b&bs than Edinburgh and away from the constant stream of tourists.

The only two drawbacks for me as a resident is the constant grey cloudy skies during the winter and part of the summer!(well it is Scotland) the "Neds" (Hoodies) that wander around town and spoil the general ambience. Dunfermline is a lovely town. Lovely buildings, great history and brilliant historic sights. Nightlife is not a problem all the pubs and clubs are all within five minutes of each other. There are numerous eaterys all over town to everyones specific taste.

Best Pub - The Old Inn, Maygate, Dunfermline. Been there since the 19th Century

birdwatching

by margaretvn

Take a trip out to the Isle of May. The boat leaves from Anstruther harbour daily from may to October. The Isle of May has high vertical cliffs with large numbes of seabirds. The island is rough and there are no trees on it, but you can walk along paths without problems. The trip allows you about 2 hours on the island with the chance of seeing Kittiwakes, Razorbills, Guillemots and Shags on the cliffs. Inland there are thousands of nesting Puffins. Around the island is a colony of Grey Seals. On the island is also the remains of a 12th century monastery. Remains of human occupation going back more than 2,000 years have been found. There is only 1 sailing per day so booking is necessary.

The Abbot House

by stevezero

The Abbot House is known locally as the Pink House for obvious reasons.
The former home of the Abbot was built in the 15th century and was one of the few buildings in town to escape the devastating fire in the 17th Century,
SInce 1995 it has become a heritage centre for the town, and there is also a coffie shop inside.

New in town

by clivedinburgh

"First impressions"

My first experience of Dunfermline was as a 20 year old, fresh out of training and based in HM Dockyard Rosyth onboard HMS Glasgow. My main experiences was mostly of the night life and whilst most venues from back then still remain, they have re-modelled themselves many times over - the Ballroom will always be known as such despite it's many names with it's latest being Velocity.

The 4 Rosyth destroyers were moved to Portsmouth in 93 and I then only made occasional visits over the bridges into Fife to catch up with some old friends and it was at a one of their 40th birthday parties that I met my lovely girlfriend Fiona who has convinced me to make a permanent move.

"It's suprising what you don't know"

I'd little idea as to the history of Dunfermline and the surrounding area before I moved across the Forth last summer.

The fact it was formerly the Scottish capital with a Queen that became our only Saint was a surprise. Seven kings have been born here with the last being the unfortunate Charles I. Other than the royal connections, the most famous son of the city is undoubtedly Andrew Carnegie who has several buildings bearing his name (including the first library and original Carnegie Hall) as well as Pittencrieff Park that he purchased for the use of the town (known locally as The Glen).

With these and other matters in mind I'll try and make these pages as informative as possible (as well as my usual pub guide information).

Dunfermline - Scottland

by TinKan

I was in school here with a company called GEC Marconi. Had some great times in the local area and will need to find all of the pictures that I had taken here so many years ago.

I need help... I am looking for anyone that remembers a club called Oscars. If the club is still there or when it closed.

Thanks and I will put up some pics as soon as I can scan them in. (have to find them first).

Comments