Fairmont St Andrews

St. Andrews Bay, (formerly St Andrews Bay Golf Resort), St. Andrews, KY16 8PN, United Kingdom
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Fairmont St Andrews

Briliant

Just returned from a great weekend at St Andrews Bay Hotel. The hotel is situated 10 minutes (driving) from St Andrews, the hotel runs a shuttle bus from the hotel to St Andrews on the hour every hour which was great as parking in St Andrews can be difficult. On arrival we were met by the concierge who parks the car for you!

Golf - the golf is excellent. My husband played the Torrence course - it was very busy so took a while to get around. The clubhouse has amazing views over St Andrews and both courses.

Food - we ate in the Squire restaurant buffet on both evenings. If I went again I would book in advance the Esperante for one night as the buffet for both evenings was pretty similar food each night. There was also an Al A Carte menu but what we saw from what a couple near us were eating I would have been disappointed. We also had lunch on arrival at the Clubhouse - food here was excellent but service left alot to be desired!

Spa - I was booked in for two treatments - both were great - the relaxation room was also fine but lacked atmosphere as no-one else was in there the whole time i was in there.

Swimming Pool area - If I have any complaint it is the swimming pool. The pool was too cold and the sauna/steam rooms were far too small and easily got full with just 4 people in each one!

Rooms - the rooms were great. We had a view over St Andrews and the reception area. I would have liked a golf view over the front of the hotel but were told that these were only available in advance.

I would definately go back and stay in this hotel. The staff were terrific and friendly.

Throws down the gauntlet to all other hotels

by TripAdvisor Member Linda&Robert

We have stayed in many 5 star hotels across Europe and this was one of the best (if not the best) for cleanliness & service. OK so it is a new build, so if you want tired, poor repair and "traditional" - go elsewhere! The spa is outstanding with no "changing room" smells, the jaccuzzi does not give your lungs a chemical inhalation treatment and special little details like a spin drier for your swimsuit make it all the more enjoyable. We had a little trouble with the remote keyboard in our room and reported it to reception, the engineer beat us back to the room! No waiting there then and the problem was something we did, not the keyboards'! Great idea - take your own DVD's no "pay per view" rip offs! or you can get them free of charge from the reception. We felt it was well worth every penny and for once there was no hidden extras (Free shuttle bus to St. Andrews town, free valet parking etc... all things we have been quietly charged for by other hotels in the past) A special mention to the Esperante restaurant, the meal was outstanding.

Well Above Par!

by TripAdvisor Member HamburgerMan

Really enjoyed my stay at the hotel - it was a birthday present with a round of golf thrown in and I have no real complaints!

It is very American in some respects - what the Yanks call a "Resort Hotel" but this is no bad thing. The rooms are large and sumptious, bathroom is fantastic (unlike most British hotels) and there is much attention to detail.

We used the spa which has a largish swimming pool, sauna etc. and an emty gym. Plenty of treatments to pamper the lady too!

Dinner in the restaurant is very good, service was friendly and my only gripe was that each course took a long time to come - we were in no hurry but it may annoy others. The buffet breakfast was also exceptional with high quality choices.

I think that the only problem with the hotel is that it is a couple of miles outside St Andrews, you need a car or use the shuttle bus to get into town.

I enjoyed the golf - but the course is still a bit new (I played the longer Torrance course) and I didn't like the design of some of the holes too much.

Fantastic Hogmanay - Best Ever!

by TripAdvisor Member Makalolo

We thought this year we would go away for New Year and after reading the reviews on this hotel and on viewing their Hogmanay package, we decided to book and added an extra night. From start to finish we received excellent service,the staff were some of the most friendly and helpful people we have met in any hotel throughout the world. Despite it being a five star hotel, you felt comfortable and at home right away in a very relaxed atmosphere. For the celebrations which started on New Years Eve, we had a fantastic time with excellent service especially for the amount of people there. The afternoon tea was splendid and the chocolate fondue mountain was really something!! We commend all the staff for working so hard and keeping cheerful.The little touches, like tartan bows on the champagne glasses, foil blankets for the ladies to wear to watch the splendid firework display down to the much welcome mulled wine, tea and coffee halfway on the New Years Day walk made such a difference. The food throughout was excellent,in abundance and we would all highly recommend this hotel and found really nothing to fault.

Truely 5 Star...Top Class!!!

by TripAdvisor Member McLell

Stayed here with my husband from the 3-5th February 2006 and we had a fantastic time. Everything was great and the staff could not do enough for you!
Try the Esperante restaurant..delicious and deserves the 2AA rosettes. The Spa was wonderful too and had the feet treat and facial also good sized pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. Will be back soon!

St Andrew's Bay - fab hotel, shame about the wait

by TripAdvisor Member SarahSwan

Just come back from a one night stay at this great resort.

I’d booked a ‘Gone with the Wind’ Sunday night package as a surprise for my husband as it was nearly Valentine’s Day. The package included afternoon tea, dinner, bed and breakfast for one night at £185 which I reckoned was really good value for a 5 star hotel.

When we arrived they offered to park our car for us, which was a nice touch. The entrance was very impressive, obviously designed to look like a French chateau. Inside we were greeted by a nice fire, and a very long queue to check in. We had arrived at about 3pm, which was the earliest time you could arrive. I think everyone had had the same idea. We had to wait in the queue only to be told that our room wasn’t ready for us, and we had to wait almost another hour. Other people were also having the same trouble. We were told they had been fully booked the night before, but check out time was 12 noon, so really a hotel of that quality should have sufficient staff to ensure guests aren’t asked to wait.

However, the hotel redeemed itself very well, with a delicious afternoon tea which would have fed at least a whole family rather than a couple. Our room was also very nice, with the lovely bathroom as described by other reviews.

The spa was nice, but we felt the pool was a little utilitarian in design. It was also full of kids, which is probably inevitable at half term.

The public areas of the hotel are very pleasant with most dining centred around the atrium which is a beautiful airy space. Dinner in the Squire restaurant was buffet style, but the food was really lovely. The restaurant staff were also extremely pleasant and friendly. Many are students from the university, but they were obviously very well trained.

Breakfast next morning was also delicious with a wide range on the buffet as well as food cooked to order.

In short, we thought this hotel was fab, and can’t wait to return!

Absolute luxury

Wow, just back from a lovely overnight stay with my husband and two other couples. We had booked a special package which meant the men could get a round of golf and a spa treatment for the women - great value at £215.00 for all this and dinner, bed and breakfast. Found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. The girls had a lovely afternoon in the spa while the men froze on the golf course. We walked down to the Clubhouse for lunch which was exceptional value - haddock (the size of a whale!! and chips). After a few drinks in the bar we went for dinner in the squire restaurant some of us opted for the a la carte while the rest of us chose the buffet - could not fault either as the choice from both was exceptional. After dinner we went to the bar for a few more drinks but we found it extremely smoky, this will be solved come March 26 when smoking is banned. Breakfast the next morning was wonderful - didnt need to eat again until dinner. Overall it is a beautiful hotel with friendly staff, great food and lovely surroundings. Cant wait to go back.

Not impressed

by TripAdvisor Member Samoyed-Man

I stayed at this hotel back in November 04 for a company conference, where they had hired the full hotel. Enjoyed my stay, room was impressive and most important of all it was free.

I then returned last week for a nights stay with my wife:- 0hhhhh dear!!!

1) Reception successfully managed to check in another couple into our room. ( While we were in it)

2) Managed somehow to give us a disabled access room ( No Bath, and a wet room effect shower. The bathroom floor ended up under water at most points). Reception had informed that "We are fully booked and can't move you to a room with a bath.

3) The whole place is too large and has no atmosphere, my wife summed it up as a "shopping centre without the shops".

4) The thing that got up my nose most of all. Was having to queue for 20 mins for a table for Breakfast, along with my fellow, not amused, fee paying customers. Only to be utterly disappointed with the breakfast food, quality and temperature. I bumped into a fellow work colleague who is still waiting on his coffee and tea that he asked for 3 times. Just appeared to be chaos, never seen so many "Supervisors" in my life. ( Need more soldiers rather than Generals)

5) Only saving grace for this place was the Concierge service and the courtesy coach down to and back from the Town centre.

I did fill out a comments card highlighting all above and I am still waiting on being contacted by the hotel.

To sum it up, impressive looking, massive and lifeless.

The Kingdom of Fife

by weewatty

"St Andrews"

The area of Fife, is my area Perthshire's closest neighbour. Only 12 miles from me to the border.

I will, in time, add plenty to my Fife pages as there are plenty of tourists attratctions and sites in the area best known for being where the Home of Golf, St Andrews is located.

In June 2005 I took part in the World Record Golf Day at the St Andrews Bay resort, on the Torrance course, this is a photo of the course with the town of St Andrews in the distance.

"Close By"

Recently i visited the Scottish Deer Centre near Cupar where i enjoyed the Falconry display.

St. Andrews, Where Golf Began

by Goner

"For the Golfers"

St. Andrews lies on Scotland's east coast 55 miles north of Edinburgh on a promontory of land that juts out into the North Sea between the waters of the Firth of Forth and the long estuary of the River Tay. It’s a small town of a mere 15,000 residents all contained within a very few square miles. It doesn't take much more than a bicycle or small car to soon be out in the surrounding farms and villages of East Fife. A hike along the Fife Coastal Path will take you out along the beautiful cliffs and beaches.

If you're a golfer making a pilgrimage to the land where golf began - when the golfing is done, take time to see what a pretty medieval town this is.

"A Little History"

The ancient city on Scotland's east coast has been a place of pilgrimage for centuries. Legend claims that the bones of St Andrew were brought from Patras in Greece by a monk called Regulus in about AD 390. Historical evidence says the relics came with a bishop fleeing from England almost 400 years later. The city which took his name brought pilgrims from all parts of the world. St. Andrew became the patron saint of Scotland and the city grew in size, prestige and wealth. As early as 1123 the famous stretch of linksland which had been left by the receding waters of the North Sea was granted by King David I to the bishops who controlled St Andrews.

"And Then Came Golf"

The country's oldest university was founded here in 1413 and golf was believed to be a popular sport at that time. In 1457 King James II banned the game by act of the Scottish Parliament because archery practice was neglected and archery was their major defense against their enemies.

By the beginning of the 16th century the population had grown to 14,000 and at times of religious and commercial festivals more than 300 ships would fill the small harbour and crowd St Andrews Bay. Local golfers shared the links with monarchs, ambassadors, bishops and university academics. Mary Queen of Scots and James VI were both visitors to the town.

Yet the reformation stripped St Andrews of its religious significance, the university was in danger of being moved to Perth and the cathedral once attended by Robert the Bruce lay in ruins when the Society of St Andrews Golfers, later to become the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, was formed in 1754.

Within a century the fortunes of the ancient city had been restored and its reputation as the Home of Golf firmly established. Today it attracts golfers who want to play on the oldes surviving golf course.

St Andrews Bay - the TorranceSt Andrews Bay - the Torrance