Strathkinness Low Road, St. Andrews, KY16 9TX, United Kingdom

Booking.com Priceline.com Tingo.com

Costs 75% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• catherineneill's Profile Photo

great food

this was a not-so-cheap valentines option. but it was worth it. the food was great, really brilliant. try the monkfish starter. country house setting, homely feel. seems to be quite small. dress up for dinner.

aperos are served in the lounge where you mingle with other guests over a glass of wine by the fire. then you are led to your table in the dining room. beautiful gardens and the suites and bedrooms are very tastefully decorated

worth it!

More about Rufflets Country House

Words are not enough!

by TripAdvisor Member lucytaylor

We have recently had the delightful pleasure of spending a short break at Rufflets hotel in St Andrews. The setting is spectacular, with the beautifully kept gardens, especially enchanting as the late summer sun shone gloriously during our stay. The warmth of the staff together with the luxury of our room, and what can only be one of Scotland's finest restaurants made our stay one which will last in our memories for a long time.

Lovely place for a luxurious break

by TripAdvisor Member hbkscotia

I surprised my husband with a one-night stay at Rufflets this past week for our wedding anniversary. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there.

We stayed in Room 5, the four-poster room. I maybe wouldn't agree with the women's magazine that voted it the most romantic room in Britain (and the bed did seem to have a slight slope to the middle) but the room is lovely, with unique pieces of old-fashioned furniture and a nice raised area by the window with a view to the beautiful gardens.

The double-ended whirlpool bath is fantastic, and the shower is good and powerful.

We ate dinner in the hotel's Garden restaurant. The food was delicious, as was the breakfast the next day.

Exquisite!!

by TripAdvisor Member squinn13

We stayed for two nights in the Gilroy Suite. The setting was beautiful, the food delighful. We were made to feel welcome, and pampered. The second night we had a seat in the dining room alcove, windows around us with the twilight glow of the gardens. When we decided we were too full for dessert they noted we could order now and have it delivered to our room later.

They gave us tips on plans for our day out. A wonderful expeience.

disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member limmer1

Had been looking forward to our visit having heard about Rufflets. However Room 16 was hot, stuffy and cramped for 2 people ( actually more like a single room). Only one seat to sit on and very limited space for luggage. But even worse was the huge kitchen extractor fan directly outside the window which caused a constant hum throughout the night and burst into noisy operation at 7.30 each morning. Not what we expected from a hotel like this. The food was indifferent and there were long delays one night between courses (ie more than an hour). Do NOT accept Room 16. Don't know about the others close by. The gardens were nice but there is a lot of building work going on as well.

Absolutely Perfect!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member dubienski79

My husband and I booked a stay at this hotel for a relaxing getaway as a few friends had stayed here before and had highly recommended it.

However, they didn't warn us fully as to how amazing this hotel is. My husband and I work within the hotel services industry and stay in a lot of hotels around the world but we make a point not to make the hotel we stay at aware of this. We both agreed that we have never been treated so well in any hotel before. The staff were wonderful. I would like to mention that it was worth staying just to meet Dimitri (not sure of the spelling) who is in the restaurant - what a lovely man!!!

The hotel and gardens were gorgeous. The hotel itself is very homely and comfortable. Although the weather wasn't great it was the perfect place to cosy up in front of the fire with some hot chocolate and delicious homemade shortbread.

Our room was just so lovely and made a great change to the standard hotel room you usually get in larger hotels. I have never seen a bathroom sparkle like that before and the Molton Brown products provided were quite a treat. What a luxurious soak I had.

And finally the food....... I can't rave enough about the food. Its absolutely delicious. With a view overlooking their floodlit gardens making it a perdect dining experience.

We will definately be back as soon as we get a chance. I would recommend it to everyone who wants quality, comfort and luxury in a beautiful setting with great staff.

Rufflets, THE place to stay when visiting St Andrews

by TripAdvisor Member Mazikeen13

As me and my partner have recently been to St Andrews on our trip around Scotland we stayed in this beautyful establishment. Situated just a little outside St Andrews town center it is the perfect refugee for a relext and luxiriouse stay. as we heve been lucky with the weather we could apprechiate the beautyfull gardens to their full. Especially delightful is the small river running through the Estate. The interior and rooms are of the highest standard and the fact that Rufflets is a Country House Hotel with only 20ish rooms (i belief) makes you feel wonderfully at home.
The reception team was already particulary helpfull when we phoned to book (I always find it more assuring to contact the property directly) and advised me of the most lovely rooms to choose. Unfrotunatley the Turret room we were after was already booked (i hear they are on high demand through all seasons) we managed to get a lovely room on the second floor which was just ever so beautyful. i wish i could put it in my pocket and implant it into my own home.
but it's not just the interior that made the stay but also the fantastic sevice from all departments. Gavain (i think his name is spelled) was very helpful in helping us choosing our dinner wines and i made a special note on our waitress that attended us most evenings durig our stay, Cheryl, who was ever so plesent and cheerfull. I certainly will advise anyone of my friends planing a trip to Scotland to stop of at Rufflets in St Andrews. The town itself is stunning even if you do not play golf. Plenty of small fishing villages around the coast make St andrews a brilliant choice to stay and explore the coast.
we had the most delightful time and i already booked for my birthday next year :) i can't wait to go back

Surprise engagement!

by TripAdvisor Member scottishlass1

My partner surprised me with a two night stay at this hotel... and what a surprise, I don't often stay in hotels unless for a special occasion, but what a lovely place.
Jeff had booked the Orchard Suite which is in the gardens and has a HUGE window overlooking the gardens. And even a bath for 2!! We spent the first afternoon in the lounge in the bedroom relaxing with a couple of bottles of champagne and chocolates, before dinner in the restaurant. IThe meal was splendid. and to top the whole stay off Jeff proposed during dinner by putting the ring in the champagne glass and marry me around my dessert plate all with a little help from the restaurant staff.
I couldn't think of a more perfect place (or person!) to get engaged to, the staff all made me feel like a princess.. I am now looking to book the new banqueting Suite for my wedding reception in 2009.

My perfect wedding

by TripAdvisor Member cammy04

From start to finish Rufflets made my wedding day perfect. We visited the hotel last year for an overnight stay and fell so in love with the place that we booked our wedding for 2007. The staff made us feel so welcome and were extremely helpful, nothing was too much to ask of them!!

The food we chose for the wedding meal couldn't have been better, all our guests commented on the service of the staff and those of us who did stay over the night of the wedding had a wonderful breakfast the next morning.

The grounds of the hotel are perfectly kept and our wedding photos will definatley be on show all year round.

We are now planning our 1st wedding anniversary , yes already!!!, and have booked Rufflets for a relaxing evening away from the kids!!

Lovely place, food below expectations

by TripAdvisor Member VirginiaM

We made a Scottish tour this summer and Rufflets was our last stay.

I loved the place, especially the room that was spacious, furnished with a lot of taste and had a huge bathroom.

Although, unlike the previous commentaries, we were very disappointed by the food: the starter was not delicate (chicken and fruit mousse) and the fish was way too much cooked. I must admit that my standards are very high, but considering the price of the menu, I expected higher food quality.

The service (in the restaurant) made an overall not professional impression.

I definitely would recommend the place for the accommodation, but would suggest people to go out to St Andrew for dinner.

Comments