Holiday Inn Aberdeen Exhibition Centre

Claymore Drive, Aberdeen Exhibition Centre, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, AB23 8BL, United Kingdom

Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre
Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Costs 57% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• iaint's Profile Photo

Reliable

This one is on the edge of town at Bridge of Don, to the north. Its at the conference and exhibition centre.

It was fine as far as it goes. Nothing special. Nothing very negative. My 3rd floor room was quiet even though opposite the lift.

One word of warning - they tout “free” wifi. Only the first 30 minutes is free. Then it’s £5 per hour! Amazing! I suspect they also had some way of blocking my dongle so I couldn’t get my usual mobile internet. Or am I getting paranoid?

Breakfast was the usual Scottish “stuff your face” buffet. If you can get a rate without breakfast and don’t need to stuff your face in the morning, there’s a McDonalds across the street - get a good coffee and something to eat at a normal price!

My room ( a Sunday night) cost £83 (inc breakfast & vat), or £69 before vat, so good value.

UPDATE

Just back from my 2nd visit - Sep 11. They can't cope with a big bunch of conference delegates all wanting breakfast at the same time. 20 minute queues! Like I said, there's always the Golden Arches.

Unique Quality: In a Holiday Inn? No, its all about the reliability of the brand!

The price of the wifi might be unique, but definitely not a quality.

Directions: Go north out King Street and just keep going. It's about 750m after you cross the Don.

The city buses (services 1 & 2) come to within 200m.

More about Aberdeen

upper storeyupper storey

My jumble of purchasesMy jumble of purchases

Drum CastleDrum Castle

Footdee connects to the seaFootdee connects to the sea

any ideas?

by iaint

I may have an overnight trip to Aberdeen next weekend. I've stayed in 4 hotels there over the last 5-6 years (Hilton, Holiday Inn Express, Premier Inn & Patio), and wouldn't rush back to any of them. Probably fine if you've just had 3 weeks on an oil rig, but thats as far as it goes.

I've looked at a few websites, and can't find anything appealing except maybe the Marriott in Dyce. Any ideas anyone?

I hate "traditional" Scottish places, I'm OK with chains (budget or not) and B&Bs. Like boutique places too.

So long as its clean, quiet, welcoming and non smoking, I'm flexible on price (on my last trip to the NE I paid £27 bed & breakfast in the local British Legion Club and it was fine; in Brussels last week I paid a good bit more for Le Meridien).

by clivedinburgh

Hi Iain

Skene House Hotels look quite good although I have no personal experience of them. They do have a few hotels in the city centre.

I have however used the website below for boutique hotels but there are none listed for Aberdeen.

by iaint

Thanks for the tip; looks good, and we may have my teenager with us, so apartment would work well. Mind you, couple of the reviews on Tripadvisor complain about the quality of the beds!

Well done to QoS yesterday. I wrote them off at 1/2 time and went to the garden centre. Got a shock 45 minutes later when it was 2-3.

by clivedinburgh

I was on the same wavelength, was over in Edinburgh yesterday and got the halftime score as I drove back across the bridge so didn't even bother to watch the second half. Glad they gave Rangers a game and did their fans proud.

by iaint

We ended up in the Marriott in Dyce, because their prices dropped like a stone as the date got closer. £59 for a 4 star! Breakfast was extra, but even so (there's always MacDonalds or Tesco).

Even allowing for the bargain basement price, we were very happy with it.

Probably a very different place during the week.

by oxymoron

Just back from a 2 night stay in Aberdeen. Stayed in a hotel close to the railway station which was practical for me. (carrying luggage) Booked into the Aberdeen Douglas hotel, and my stay was just superb! On my own, had to accept only availability which was a double, so had a LARGE bed to get lost in. Romm? really good quality bed. Ample dimensions. Power shower with vertical jets!!. Staff friendly and Very accomodating. Breakfast (full scottish) also had fruit available. Plus side is tea/coffee was brought to the table fresh by staff! Morning papers availabl at that point. Only minus point would be the flat-screen tv in breakfast room. Normally not a day-time tv watcher, but it was better than the unbroken silence often to be in eveidence. Bistro bar in situ with very good quality food at reasonable prices.
Forgot to mention tea/coffee facilities in room. Prices not cheap, but if you go on booking.com they offer special deals on their site.
Btw - on hogmanay 2009 I (regrettably stayed in the IBIs hotel in Brussels which was soooo awful (mainly the attitude of hotel staff) where the visitor is merely a room number. Would NEVER stay there again.
Hope you get fixed up!

Travel Tips for Aberdeen

Aberdeen and Grampian Infomation

by ringleader

Before you visit this area, it would be worth your while to visit their website. Request their free trail maps for the castle and coastal trails.

The have some nice materials available for free.

Web address: www.aberdeen-grampian.com

Email: info@www.aberdeen-grampian.com

Pittodrie

by Kevross85

If your there during the football season you should try and get down to watch aberdeen play. Although there not the team they once were they still can play good football at times. In my opinion you should try and get a ticket for the south stand but I know a lot of people who prefer the dick donald stand but they are both equally good. Make sure you have a pie while at the game it's a must. make sure to dress well as especially in the winter months as the stadium can get really cold due to it being close to the beach.

Cruden Bay's Little Shops

by scottishvisitor

The little shops in the village are all on Main Street, a short little street, where the Cruden Burn runs through. We don't have a lot of shops, we only have four, but it is enough for locals and tourists alike = yes we do get tourists here mostly in the Summer months. The little gift shop is the newest addition to the village it sells local paintings - gifts and sovenirs. Small village Post Offices are under threat of closure - I do hope we get to keep ours, if it closed I would have to go to our nearest town which is eight miles away just to post a postcard overseas. I don't shop much in the village, prices are a bit on the high side, but I do like to use them occasionally. Shopping locally keeps a village alive and it is usually in such places you can catch up with the local news with the shopkeepers BTW if you are a tourist stop by even if it is just for some information or directions - they will be happy to help you!

Small cosy, traditional

by Kritika about Black Friars

The pub looks tiny from the outside but inside it has enough room for a good few tables without loosing it's cosy feel. A very old pub with a sleepy atmosphere. The food is always brilliant and has a fair range to satisfy most tastes. The best bit for me is the real ales, which are so good it earned a place in the good pub guide. All were good but the fish and chips were something else.

A Long Granite facade

by scottishvisitor

The long Granite Facade in Union Street includes the buildings of the Town House and the City Sheriff Court. It is part of the 'Granite Mile' which runs from Union Street into Broad Street. There are many more Granite buildings in the city but none more beautiful than this section. The buildings were constructed in 1868 and completed in 1874., the year 1994 saw their 200th. anniversary with renovations of the interior of the Court House. The Town House was designed by Archibald Simpson and William Smith. The other architect involved in the Sheriff Court was James Mattew. Aberdeen's oldest prison used to be housed here in the Tolbooth, it dates back to the Jacobite period and was the place where Jacobite followers were tried and tortured. Forget the shops and the torture of the past and see the Fairy Tale Castle lookalike of this lovely Town House.

Comments