Chapel Street, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, AB10 1SQ, United Kingdom

Priceline.com Booking.com Travelocity

Rated 13% higher but also costs 22% more than other 3 star hotels

• iaint's Profile Photo

awfull

On the face of it a typical budget chain place, which is not inspiring, but should be reliable.

Problem was noise. Drunks inside and out. Didn't sleep much until the club scene finished at 4.

To be avoided at all costs.

Unique Quality: Lack of sleeping facilities.

Directions: not to be disclosed on grounds of public safety

More about Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen City Centre

best of a very bad bunch

by TripAdvisor Member cricklewood

Aerdeen is a terrible place to stay over - each hotel is worse than the next - apart from this one.

You get what you pay fr - unlike the rest of its neighbours

Rooms are big, bathrooms clean food basic - beleive me ths i sadly as good as it gets in Aberdeen.

Not mch else to say other than if on expenses expect to pay on depaturer as it is unlikely it wll accept coporate payment throgh the normal process.

Clean, comfortable, good value. Recommended!

by TripAdvisor Member John080347

Most of the previous reviews are a very good summary of a stay at this hotel, and the only thing I would add is the friendliness and efficiency of the staff is quite outstanding and nothing was too much trouble. They started off by making sure we had a quiet room at the back (113), as the ones at the front can be quite noisy on a Saturday night - apparently. They were also very helpful in sorting out the delivery of a take-away to our room on Sunday evening, and happily looked after our bags when we arrived at 10:00am until our room was ready, and again after we checked out but before our flight left in the evening.
The only problem we had was a fire alarm and evacuation at 6:50am on the Sunday morning, which was quite a problem for the families with children - and the revellers from the previous night! We were never told why the alarm went off (no sign of a fire anywhere), but be warned: the smoke and heat alarms in each room are VERY sensitive, and a notice in the room said that the steam from the shower can trigger the alarm off! So it may be quite a regular occurrence.
All in all, no complaints and our overall impression of Aberdeen is one of extremely friendly people, interesting (if not exciting) places to visit, and rather average food. The best meal we had was at the Provost Skene's house cafe; wholesome fresh snacks and meals served by the nicest staff you could hope to meet!

great value for money

by TripAdvisor Member patbee

We stayed at this hotel on 8th June for 1 night and were greatly impressed. The hotel room was very comfortable and clean, the staff were extremely helpful and the continental breakfast more than adequate for the price we paid. Location could not be better as you are on Union Street within in 1 minute. Large car park nearby which is free Sat & Sun. We would use this hotel again for an inexpensive break.

Does Exactly What It Says On The Tin

by TripAdvisor Member WorldBreeze

Booked this hotel as somewhere to stay on a night out.
I live about 40 miles from the city, but opted to stay here rather than queue all night for a taxi, as is the norm in Aberdeen.

I booked online and paid the standard 55 pounds.

The Friendly reception staff already had my room key assigned when I arrived, so it was a case of being able to go straight to my room. This is so much more efficient that some hotel experiences I could mention.

The room was clean and comfortable, not much of a view but then that wasnt the point of my trip. There was a bit of noise outside from a garage/industrial unit outside my window but this was at a reasonable time and served as a good alarm clock!

2 minutes out the door and you are on Union Street.

All in all, did exactly what it says on the tin .. or website.. or whatever!

Great location, great price, but a tad warm!

by TripAdvisor Member tropicaltammi

Stayed here June 15th for 6 nights.

Positives -

Hotel was very modern and clean, and the staff were friendly (prompty responded to emails etc). Their coffee machine was also excellent!

And the location absolutely cannot be beat. Oh and the price!

Negatives -

The room was smallish, and there were no drawers or doors to the closet. So you see all of your "stuff". I prefer to shut it all away.

The room was quite warm and it was only in the upper 50's outside. I think the issue was the rain (humidity maybe) and that the window only opened a tiny bit (and no screens?!). No A/C in this hotel. Not sure what it would be like if (and that's a big if!) it were in the 70s and sunny.

The other big negative was on Saturday night there were some rowdy guests running through the halls. The desk was alerted and gave them a warning. This warning lasted two hours before the hotel finally evicted them at 5am. I do not know why it took them so long to take care of the situation. We got no sleep that night.

We did however get 1/2 off the rate for this night, after arguing with the front desk who tried to lie about it and act like it had never happened (they were the ones that told my husband what time they evicted the guests at, the next day!). When the guy at the desk realized we knew the story, then they agreed to the discount.

Tip: Check out the bakery directly across the street! And ask for a room in the back and high up (this request was honored!)

We would stay here again most likely, only because there are hardly any suitable options in Aberdeen.

Good Basic and Clean

by TripAdvisor Member Detken

As per previous reviews of this hotel, I've visited Aberdeen a few times on business in the past couple of years and based on other hotels was looking for something central, clean and reasonably priced. The Holiday Inn Express certainly scores well on these criteria. On the down side you might want to think about the following:

a) Some rooms on the street side are noisy as there's an all night bakery / cafe just outside so ask for a room on the other side if you sleep lightly.

b) We arrived late (1045pm) and no decent food really available apart from bar snacks. There are a couple of places nearby but its the UK so probably you'll have to wait for the breakfast buffet which was substanial enough

c) The bathroom floors could do with a clean-up. I was allocated a disabled access room and not sure if the black marks were from wheelchair wheels or not, but certainly a little more elbow grease by the cleaners wouldn't go amiss.

week of Open Championship

by TripAdvisor Member jaxbeach

Stayed at this hotel during the Open Championship Golf. The hotel staff were very helpful to myself and my 9 year old son.

The biggest problem we had was when we arrived in Aberdeen on Tuesday we had no luggage, as we were told the luggage was still at Heathrow. Everyday we checked with the airport and no luggage. We finally got it on Starurday night around 10 pm. The hotel gave us toothpaste, combo and razor. The also let us use their umbrella. The hotel manager everyday would ask if we needed anthing and they would each day spend several hours on the phone trying to find information on your luggage.

The rooms at the hotel were small, but large enough for just the two of us. The housekeeping staff was very good and the room was very clean.

I had requested a room at the back of the hotel prior to checkin via email and that is where the room was upon our arrival.

This hotel is located in downtown area and there are many restaurants, shops and the train station within walking distance.

The best thing about this hotels location is the bakery located across the street. The bakery open at 11 pm each night and the baked goods are fresh and great tasting. Each night my son and myself were there waiting for them to open.

I would return to this hotel anytime I'm in aberdeen.

Great location and value

by TripAdvisor Member Shawlands

This hotel is just perfect for a couple of days exploring Aberdeen and the surrounding area. Our room was clean and comfortable and good value for money. It was a couple of minutes walk from Union Street but the room we were in was quite quiet, even for a Saturday night. There is limited parking at the hotel but there is a multi-storey car park nearby if needed. We would definately stay there again.

Comments