Mercure Ardoe House

DAO's Profile Photo

CASTLE LIVING

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 23, 2012

When I found out that I would be working in Aberdeen, I rang the company’s travel supplier and simply requested a hotel with a gym. When I arrived at the airport I told the taxi the name of my hotel, Ardoe House, and he set off. And he kept driving. As we started to go through lovely woodland, we suddenly drove up to this Castle-like hotel. WOW! Built in 1878, it has 2 restaurants, 2 bars, had a roaring fire and just an amazing amount of old world charm. Real luxury. I found out the next day that my colleagues were booked into the Travelodge in town. I never told them I had my own robe, slippers, heated indoor pool, spa…..are you joking? They would have killed me.

When I arrived in reception I could faintly smell the fire in the drawing room. I was greeted warmly and informed of all the amenities. I was a little too busy looking at the décor to take in the full list. This is definitely living the castle life!

My room was on the back of this massive building and I could see rabbits outside my window running through part of the 30 acres that comprises the estate. Did I mention my colleagues were all in the Travelodge together? And they offered to try and get me in the same hotel? Anyway – I could not wait to see all the nice extras in my room and go for a run and a swim.

The rooms are ok. Not amazing in terms of décor, but nice. My 2 double beds were good and I had a good night’s sleep. The size of the room was adequate and I had my TV, large desk, climate control and even furniture. Plenty of closet space and the hotel provided a very good iron and ironing board for me.

The bathroom was excellent. The toiletries were French and very good. My robe and slippers were a nice touch.

The Spa and leisure facility was nearby in a very large building. The gym was modern and useful. The Jacuzzi and large heated pool were fantastic! I had a really good run, soak and swim before dinner. A truly relaxing evening.

I did go for a whiskey in the ornate Laird’s bar and enjoyed sitting in one of the red leather chairs and reading a provided newspaper. Now this is the way to enjoy your business travels.

Although they had an amazing looking restaurant I must confess I did dine in town. Not far from the Travelodge actually.

Ardoe house is all you want in a business hotel – if your company will allow you to stay here. It even has its own ghost! It was built in 1878 for Alexander Ogston and is based upon the Royal residence of Balmoral Castle – about 50 miles away. His wife, Katherine Ogston, is still here. I don’t know how she died, but I am guessing it wasn’t peacefully in her sleep. The house was sold and converted into a hotel in 1947. It’s a stunning building with many grand wooden staircases, vaulted ceiling and ornate fireplaces.

Did I mention they put my work colleagues in the Travelodge?

Unique Quality:
The main amenities of the estate are:

Ardoe House
• Grand staircase
• Original wood panelling
• Several operational fireplaces (and fire)
• Ornate plaster ceilings
• 30 acres of woodland to walk in or hold events like weddings
• Free parking
• Wi-Fi (chargeable)

Leisure Facilities
• Spa with full range of treatments
• Gym
• 18 meter heated indoor pool, Jacuzzi and sauna

• Blair’s Restaurant – award winning chef and amazing menu and décor
• Soapie’s Lounge Bar – brassiere/upscale bar menu

Bars
• Drawing Room – large open fire and full meals available. Beautiful
• Laird’s Bar – looks like a hunting lodge with a library. First class whisky drinking

Rooms
• Climate controlled including air-conditioning
• TV, radio, telephone
• Coffee/tea making facilities
• Robe, slippers, great toiletries
• Desk, closet, safe

Business facilities
• 9 rooms holding up to 500 delegates
• Full facilities and equipment for any needs
• Nice looking boardroom

And it all much nicer than the Travelodge in town!

Directions: (From the website)
Follow the A90 toward Aberdeen, continue until you reach the roundabout with a turn off towards Maryculter via the B9077. Take this road and follow it for approximately 3 miles/5km. The Mercure Ardoe House Aberdeen is on the left.

Nearby Mercure Ardoe House

Mercure Ardoe House

• Ardoe Hotel House
  • Mercure Aberdeen
  • Mercure Ardoe Hotel Aberdeen
  • Accor Ardoe Hotel Aberdeen
  • Mercure Ardoe House Hotel And Spa
  • Mercure Ardoe House Hotel Aberdeen

Address: South Deeside Road, (formerly MacDonald Ardoe), Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, AB12 5YP, United Kingdom

5 Photos of Mercure Ardoe House

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

Aberdeen Travel Forum

Need advice about Aberdeen, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Aberdeen and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Aberdeen hotel reviews

Provost Skene's House
Castlegate and the Market Cross
Aberdeen Maritime Museum
Things to Do
à la recherche du temps perdu
Aberdeen Exhibition + Conference Centre
fun but pricey
Restaurants
A fine local restaurant near the coast
Restaurants
Without a doubt, my favorite...
Restaurants
City tour with blue badge guide
Scotlands Castle's
Aberdeen Maritime Museum - Free & 5 Star
Aberdeen Maritime Museum
Art Museum
Things to Do
A cosy place to eat pizza.
Provost Ross House
Nightlife
A Long Granite facade
The oldest street in Aberdeen
Things to Do
Come watch the birds on the Ythan
Things to Do
Come in for a rest after shopping
Pub Crawls
Nightlife
Dunnotar Castle, 15 miles...
Hazelhead - The lungs of a city
Outdoor Clothing at half price
Shopping
The Auld Kirk of St. Nicholas
Things to Do
Science can be a lot of fun