Mercure Ardoe House

South Deeside Road, (formerly MacDonald Ardoe), Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, AB12 5YP, United Kingdom

Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• DAO's Profile Photo

CASTLE LIVING

When I found out that I would be working in Aberdeen, I rang the company’s travel supplier and simply requested a hotel with a gym. When I arrived at the airport I told the taxi the name of my hotel, Ardoe House, and he set off. And he kept driving. As we started to go through lovely woodland, we suddenly drove up to this Castle-like hotel. WOW! Built in 1878, it has 2 restaurants, 2 bars, had a roaring fire and just an amazing amount of old world charm. Real luxury. I found out the next day that my colleagues were booked into the Travelodge in town. I never told them I had my own robe, slippers, heated indoor pool, spa…..are you joking? They would have killed me.

When I arrived in reception I could faintly smell the fire in the drawing room. I was greeted warmly and informed of all the amenities. I was a little too busy looking at the décor to take in the full list. This is definitely living the castle life!

My room was on the back of this massive building and I could see rabbits outside my window running through part of the 30 acres that comprises the estate. Did I mention my colleagues were all in the Travelodge together? And they offered to try and get me in the same hotel? Anyway – I could not wait to see all the nice extras in my room and go for a run and a swim.

The rooms are ok. Not amazing in terms of décor, but nice. My 2 double beds were good and I had a good night’s sleep. The size of the room was food and I had my TV, large desk, climate control and even furniture. Plenty of closet space and the hotel provided a very good iron and ironing board for me.

The bathroom was excellent. The toiletries were French and very good. My robe and slippers were a nice touch.

The Spa and leisure facility was nearby in a very large building. The gym was modern and useful. The Jacuzzi and large heated pool were fantastic! I had a really good run, soak and swim before dinner. A truly relaxing evening.

I did go for a whiskey in the ornate Laird’s bar and enjoyed sitting in one of the red leather chairs and reading a provided newspaper. Now this is the way to enjoy your business travels.

Although they had an amazing looking restaurant I must confess I did dine in town. Not far from the Travelodge actually.

Ardoe house is all you want in a business hotel – if your company will allow you to stay here. It even has its own ghost! It was built in 1878 for Alexander Ogston and is based upon the Royal residence of Balmoral Castle – about 50 miles away. His wife, Katherine Ogston, is still here. I don’t know how she died, but I am guessing it wasn’t peacefully in her sleep. The house was sold and converted into a hotel in 1947. It’s a stunning building with many grand wooden staircases, vaulted ceiling and ornate fireplaces.

Did I mention they put my work colleagues in the Travelodge?

Unique Quality:
    The main amenities of the estate are:

Ardoe House
    • Grand staircase
    • Original wood panelling
    • Several operational fireplaces (and fire)
    • Ornate plaster ceilings
    • 30 acres of woodland to walk in or hold events like weddings
    • Free parking
    • Wi-Fi (chargeable)

Leisure Facilities
    • Spa with full range of treatments
    • Gym
    • 18 meter heated indoor pool, Jacuzzi and sauna

Restaurants
    • Blair’s Restaurant – award winning chef and amazing menu and décor
    • Soapie’s Lounge Bar – brassiere/upscale bar menu

Bars
    • Drawing Room – large open fire and full meals available. Beautiful
    • Laird’s Bar – looks like a hunting lodge with a library. First class whisky drinking

Rooms
    • Climate controlled including air-conditioning
    • TV, radio, telephone
    • Coffee/tea making facilities
    • Robe, slippers, great toiletries
    • Desk, closet, safe

Business facilities
    • 9 rooms holding up to 500 delegates
    • Full facilities and equipment for any needs
    • Nice looking boardroom

And it all much nicer than the Travelodge in town!

Directions: (From the website)
    Follow the A90 toward Aberdeen, continue until you reach the roundabout with a turn off towards Maryculter via the B9077. Take this road and follow it for approximately 3 miles/5km. The Mercure Ardoe House Aberdeen is on the left.

More about Mercure Ardoe House

Good overall stay at the Ardoe House

by TripAdvisor Member Stena

Stayed at this hotel on business. The hotel is 10-15 minutes outside Aberdeen so not for those who are looking for a central hotel with bars and restaruants on their doorstep. You need to catch taxis or have a rental car if you want to get around. There is nothing within walking distance of the hotel. This is a country castle type hotel with a modern 'bolt-on' at the back. If you get a room in the 'bolt-on' it will be a modern room and you could be anywhere in the world. The room was however nicely refurbished and the soft furnishings were very tasteful. The hotel is 3.5 pushing on 4 stars in my mind. I wouldn't go here if I was looking for a luxury country break with full on pampering. The hotel does however has a lovely large indoor swimming pool. The public rooms in the 'castle' part of the hotel are very grand - large open fires burn and there is a very nice cosy feel. The staff were very attentive throughout my stay and the overall feel was generally good. This is one of the better hotels in Aberdeen and I would definitely stay here again.

We came back for more!

by TripAdvisor Member Walco

This was our second stay at Ardoe House, previously spending three days as part of a dinner and breakfast package earlier at Easter.

We had such a great time in April we were almost a little nervous at returning in case it did not live up to our previous experience, especially as we had booked a lower grade of room this time round. However again we loved the place and wanted to stay longer.

The elements that make Ardoe so great for us as a couple on a short break are - cosy atmosphere, fantastic restaurant and great gym/pool facitlities.

The breakfast and dinner are of an excellent standard and the overall ambience is superb - if you have time to enjoy the details - not sure if you would if simply here on business...

Nice pool and very well equiped gym mean that you can really relax, and feel pampered.

The staff are on the whole very proffessional and helpful, some of the staff can be a little off hand at times.

The one drawback the hotel has would be the bar prices which verge on the extortionate, for both alcohol and hot drinks, however the main bar is very well stocked and almost makes up for them.

Not what I expected

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights over the Easter weekend. We wanted to make it a bit special so we booked a suite. When we checked in, we were initially impressed by the surroundings and our room was fairly large and spacious. It was in the tower in the old part of the hotel had a spiral staircase to a lounge with marvellous views over the gardens and beyond.
We had dinner in the hotel twice and the food was excellent.

There are a few issues with this hotel that would put me off staying again.

The majority of the hotel staff do not speak good English and we had several misunderstandings about housekeeping requirements. The staff were very pleasant and obviously were trying to please but when they didn't understand simple requests such as "Can we have some milk?"....Housekeeping is something that the Ardoe House does not do well. Our bedroom was not dusted and there was a haphazard approach to replenishing things like biscuits, water, soap, etc. We asked for extra pillows, these were provided and promptly repossessed the next morning! The feature lounge was never dusted, tidied or had its waste bins emptied during our entire stay. When we switched on the electric fitre in the lounge, all the power in the entire room went out. Thanks to the very nice maintenance man who got the power back on. We were advised not to use the fire again!

The lounge bar did not appear to be cleaned or tidied during the day and there was evidence of that in the evening i.e. newspapers lying about and crumbs on the floor. It doesn't make you feel very special when you are dressed for dinner, having a pre-dinner drink and your feet are treading nuts and other detritis into the carpet.

A good hotel starting on the downward slope?

Just OK

by TripAdvisor Member havecardwilltravel

We stayed here as part of the package with our tour of Scotland. The place is pretty, but the diningroom wait staff and the front desk staff seemed to care less if our stay was a pleasant one.

Lovely atmosphere and excellent cuisine

by TripAdvisor Member Lys

Whilst we did not stay here my family and I had a Sunday lunch in their lovely Olde Worlde dining room. The food was excellent and cooked and served to perfection. Staff most attentive and our pre lunch drinks in the bar resplendent with lit fire, Sunday papers and drink was a lovely start to a relaxing Sunday. A lovely hotel to relax in; we would certainly consider a long weekend here.

THE BEST

by TripAdvisor Member brucelee440

This is going back a couple of years now, but my wife and I were married at Ardoe. The staff could not have been nicer and more professional, the meals were some of the best I have ever eaten and the function and accommodation was brilliant.

Ok, that was 2002, however we have gone back every year since then to celebrate our anniversary and they have never let us down. The leisure club and spa are tops and the staff are as professional and friendly.

This is one of the best hotels we have stayed in - WORLDWIDE, and I reccommend it to everyone who asks.

Brief - bur great !!

by TripAdvisor Member Jambo2006

I was in Aberdeen on business for 6 weeks and very unfortunately only managed to stay here for the last few nights.
Oh how I wished that I could have found it sooner !!

The very best hotel - no complaints - the decor, staff, food - ambience were just wonderful.

I'll be back next time.!!

Really enjoyed this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Jen&Tim

We got married at this hotel in December 2006 and loved the overall experience. We have had many, many positive comments about the food served at our reception, although the drinks are expensive here. The location is wonderful and the interior is the great - especially in Winter with the fires and opulant decor.

We stayed in the Devenick suite which was lovely. We especially liked that they turned down the room in the evening and left the local newspaper and the bedside lights on. Unfortunately they did not leave us bathrobes but everything else in the room was great.

We checked bookings for my parents 4 times prior to the wedding (after booking via an internet company), however on the day the booking was not found. The hotel more than made up for it by booking my parents into a luxury room in the old building with amazing views, a four poster bed and huge bathoom. We could not thank them enough for sorting this for us.

The breakfast was one of the best we have had - everything you can think of was available and the staff were lovely and accomodating when we waned to move tables together to sit with family.

Overall, the Ardoe was a wonderful hotel for a wedding and I cannot fault the staff and their service. The hotel is lovely and all our guests who stayed loved it. We would definately recommend the Ardoe again and again.

Beautiful first class hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member 1875

Stayed for 1 night at this lovely hotel. Great staying in winter as the coal fires mean you don't wan't to go outside! All the public rooms are so traditional. We had dinner and breakfast and couldn't fault the food - it was fantastic. Leisure facilities first class. Will definitely stay again.

Seriously let down by poor and expensive dining

by TripAdvisor Member AnonymousScotland

There are some good things about this hotel:

- public areas are good: roaring fires, a lounge which looks out over attractive and peaceful gardens (a nice place to sit for an afternoon and have tea)
- the standard room was much larger than the average hotel room
- the bed was large and comfortable
- some nice touches - robes, decent toiletries
- the breakfast tasted not bad
- the setting is good

But there are some pretty bad things:

- the worst is the food. The bar and room service menu are the same - a very limited selection, over priced and poor. A "mediterranean burger" was tiny and served in an ordinary roll, not the advertised foccaccia, and came with 6 mass produced potato wedges that were still frozen - at a cost of £17
- we didn't try the restaurant menu - paying £12 for a starter and £28 for a main course which emanated from the same kitchen as the terrible bar food was not particularly enticing
- the nice public rooms were all off limits in the evening - you were only allowed into them if you had eaten in the restaurant. crazy (especially when you have paid handsomely for the room, and to eat in the small and shabby bar)
- breakfast an eye-watering £19.50, with no option just to choose a continental breakfast
- there was no functioning heating in the room. that was eventually remedied by a small electric heater being produced.
- service was erratic - the bar meal took an hour to arrive, it took 15 minutes one morning before someone would catch our eye to enable us to order tea and coffee at breakfast - the attitude of the staff varied from friendly and helpful to downright surly

In summary, this hotel is overpriced and needs to improve its food. I would only stay here again if I was on expenses - and wouldn't eat there even on that basis.

MarischalMarischal

Regency Room (19th century)Regency Room (19th century)

The Union StreetThe Union Street

You might fall in!You might fall in!

Comments