Macdonald Dalfaber Golf & Country Club

Dalfaber Drive, Aviemore, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Average

• Definitely not recommended

I would never recommend this resort to anyone. My husband and i, along with our two children (ages 4 & 1) stayed here in may this year. We selected a 2 bedroom lodge which slept 6ppl. We felt as tho we were staying in a caravan. There was no room for the travel cot in any of the bedrooms. My husband and i ended up having to sleep on the pull-me-down in the living room. Very dated and in need of a refurb.
    They advertised entertainment on their website for the week which wasnt on. They no longer hav a coco's play area as advertised on their website. When asked if we could use the play areas at the other macdonald resorts staff were clueless and very unhelpful. (U can but u have to pay).
    It cost more for a coffee in the bar than a pint of beer. Poor menu in bar area.
    I wrote an email to complain about all of the above and it just shows u how bad their customer service is....after a number of chaser emails it is now august and i hav still not had feedback! Very poor.
    I have since heard many of the same reports regarding the dalfaber.

More about Aviemore

the rest of main street...the rest of main street...

February 09 - a bit of snow around!February 09 - a bit of snow around!

the very photogenic coffin bridgethe very photogenic coffin bridge

The plantationThe plantation

Pensioner - Risky or Not?

by fergilan

I'm travelling up to aviemore on 22nd March 2008 bringing two pensioners (83 year olds "It's too cold" "where's the tea shop") together with a typical 14 year old girl ("I'm bored!" "where's the shops" etc.) I'm now having second thoughts as everything I've read recently is "High risk for snow storms" "Great for ski-ing" I somehow doubt an 83 year old would enjoy skiing, hiking or snowboarding her way to the shops and the 14 year old doesn't want to just be stuck in the car watching the scenery go by even if she does have an i-pod to complete the "Am I boverred" attitude. Any ideas before I go completely insane trying to plan something to suit everyone?

Re: Pensioner - Risky or Not?

by leics

Have to say it looks pretty horrid on 22nd:

(a reliable site, as far as any UK weather site can be).

I doubt it will be so bad that your older ones will have to snowboard to the town (so not actually risky) but damp slushiness is not pleasant, and can be very slippery. Sensible shoes mecessary.

Aviemore and area are focused on snow sports, of course; that's why they grew in popularity originally.

Have a look at

Maybe little-town-visiting, and a distillery visit, might be appealing?

Or perhaps get the train somewhere (some stunning scenery along that line). Inverness is full of shops (!) and an interesting place to visit.

Good luck!

Re: Pensioner - Risky or Not?

by firechick

Get 'em drunk on scotch whiskey and leave the oldies at the B&B in front of the fire :-) That'll keep 'em warm. Send the 14 year old off on a snowboarding lesson for the day. That's what I'd do. You won't all enjoy the same things (well except maybe a distillery tour).

It is mainly a sports town but of course is home of many whiskey distilleries as well. There is of course, shopping in town center but then the rest is basically mountain-y countryside. There are wonderful B&Bs to stay in nearly all over the region. I love it there, but then again I love the outdoors.

Travel Tips for Aviemore

Carrbridge

by iaint

This village is a few miles (10 km) north of Aviemore. It has its own website, with information about events and activities.

The village is not far from the main Perth - Inverness road, and is also served by the railway. You could jump on the train from Aviemore.

It is well known for the bridge across the River Dulnain - see photos. The bridge was built in 1707, and gives the village it's name. (The name is nothing to do with "cars" but comes from the Gaelic word for a boggy area.)

The bridge was severely damaged in the flood of 1829 and is now unstable.

One of my favourite things about the village is the field with sheep in it, right on the main street. Land must be worth a few £ for housing development, but either someone wants to hold onto it, or the local government won't allow development. Either way, I love it!

Comments