Near Fort William, Ballachulish, Lochaber, PH49 4HL, United Kingdom

Despegar.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Dougy's Profile Photo

Isles Of Glencoe Hotel

A great hotel in the quiet highland village of Ballachulish. This hotel had a friendly relaxed atmosphere. The hotel is next to the waters edge and from the dining room and most of the guest rooms there are amazing views out over the water across the loch to the hills beyond. The staff are friendly and helpful, the food is great. The hotel is a modern design and was built around 1991.

Unique Quality: The hotel has a small pool, a steam room and a sauna.

More about Isles Of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre

Fantastic time at Isles of Glencoe

We visited Glencoe during the festive period and stayed at the Isles of Glencoe Hotel. The customer service provided by all hotel staff was first class. The food, accommodation and leisure facilities were of a particularly high standard. We will be visiting again very soon.

Good hotel, would go again.

by TripAdvisor Member LeaAllan

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights DB&B and were impressed mostly by the food. The staff at the reception were excellent, couldnt have been friendlier, it is obvious they are big on customer relations (probably have training every week) The food was very impressive £20 for a 3course dinner with a good choice of menu. The only thing that bothered me was the room, it was below our expectations of size and I felt that it could have been cleaner. The carpet was a bit grubby and very dusty under the beds (we had to move them to put them together). There was a smell in the bathroom very similar to male changing rooms so if I was to go back I would take some bleach for the toilet and cleaning wipes. Leisure pool is ok, the jacuzzi is a bit cool but the main disappointment was that we had to pay £1 for the use of a towel, which I think is a bit tight. Have to add a bit in regarding a review we read before going about the restaurant staff leaving empty plates and ignoring customers - I feel they have definately addressed this because staff in restaurant were a bit overly attentive to us to the extent that I felt a bit rushed.

loevly hotel but..... one complaint

by TripAdvisor Member happybunny515

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for two nights as a little break away from the daily grind of work, kids etc; room was fabulous with french doors leading out to fantastic view of the loch and beyond. Hotel was spotlessly clean pool small but clean and relaxing with sauna at the side.good choice at breakfast but be warned big queues as close of breakfast sitting nears. Ate in restaurant one night and to be honest altho food was nice and well cooked I felt it wasn't good value for the price Staff were very pleasant and accomodating (mostly foreign from places like hungary etc;)Our only complaint was that in the evenings in the bar and restaurant area other guests allowed their children to basically run amok which was irritating and distracting and compelled us to make our visits to those areas brief in other words if you want away from the noisy chatter and running around of little kiddies then this may not be the hotel for you.

Overrated, not 4 star.

by TripAdvisor Member Mrs_McMinn

Having spent the previous two nights of our tour of the Western Coast of Scotland in 4 star hotels (Oban Caledonian and Bosville Hotel, Skye) we were extremely disappointed at the room we found ourselves staying in at the Isles of Glencoe. We had booked a standard double room and declined their offer to upgrade to a room with a view for £10 a head as we don't spend much time in our room anyway. Unfortunately we were not given a refurbished room as some of the people who have written reviews previously obviously were.
The carpet was grubby, the bathroom smelled of urine/nicotine, the decor was old-fashioned and fairly ugly! The bedding however was extremely clean and we had a good nights sleep despite the noise from the family next door. The walls are extrememly thin.
My fiancee and I had come to the Isles of Glencoe for a romantic break, but I would not advise this to other couples as the hotel is mainly family-oriented. We ate dinner between 8-10pm therefore could not take advantage of the only hours that children were not running riot in the pool area. I passed on the offer of use of the sunbed too as it cost £3 for 20 minutes, indicating to me its age and standard.
The staff at the hotel were extremely helpful and I didn't find it upsetting in the least that many were foreign - they couldn't do enough for us. Their efficiency only became irritating when they cleared our coffee and tea from the breakfast table when we had gone for second helpings!
We found the set dinner menu too restrictive. It was well made and presented, but I had to choose from lamb, duck or fish bake for my main meal (as well as two veggie options), none of which I particularly enjoy. I didn't eat a starter as none were particularly enticing. I was charged two separate prices for a pint of Miller - once £3 and the next time, £4.
All in all, the communal areas in this hotel were lovely, staff great, views fantastic, but our room was terrible. We will not be staying at the Isles of Glencoe again. I would also recommend it to families, not couples.

we loved it!

This is a great place to stay to explore scotland, Its very friendly and clean with beautiful views. Our room was an economy room and was far better than we expected, plenty of room with patio doors and a great view of the loch and mountains. the bathroom was large containing a bath as well as a shower. A bonus too was the sauna and swimming pool it was a good way to relax in the evening. We have already made plans to stay again next year.

Amazing Setting

by TripAdvisor Member Neep_head

To start with, they were very pleasant when I phoned up to book, and the lady was very nice to me when I revealed it was part of my honeymoon.

They gave us a fantastic room with the best view i've ever had from a hotel room, and the receptionist was lovely.

They first let themselves down by advertising a special "order drinks up to your room" for no room service before 11pm, but then kept trying to charge us room service for it, which soured it all somewhat.

Then we went for dinner, where it was very nice, but it did feel a bit like you were just being processed, and the food wasn't top notch. It prides itself on the "family friendiness" of it all, which I now realise means that the kids are allowed to run around playing. I think even if I had kids I wouldn't want to take them to somewhere like that because they'd get some bad habits. Breakfast entailed waiting in different queues, and staff were just rushed off their feet - and this is in off season.

Now the pool. It is Tiny! Its just full of people and very difficult to do much of a swim. DO NOT go for the pool.

This place was in general very good, you just have to slightly lower your expectations from what the promotional stuff about the hotel says.

Lovely setting!

The hotel has a lovely setting but would say it's more like a 3 star rather than a 4 star. The staff were very nice and friendly although service in the restauarant was a bit slow. The food is fine, nothing too exciting. It's ok for a few days stay but would find it boring if staying for any longer! It's more the location of the hotel that you'll enjoy rather than the hotel itself!

Stunning setting, Excellent customer service!

by TripAdvisor Member holland21

The Isles of Glencoe far exceeded our expectations. The location and setting is absolutely stunning, but then we do have the most beautiful country!!! We were fortunate that our weekend stay was the week before Easter and I suspect from there onwards this hotel will be busy. Our first impression was a positive one and this was made even more so by the check-in procedure when we were physically shown to our room and not just pointed in the right direction. I had requested a "room with a view" and was most certainly not disappointed. I am going to attach the view which is similar to those already on here, but I just had to share the vision! Our room was clean and roomy, the bathroom perhaps a bit jaded but we had no complaints. If I have to make any criticisms, one has to be our last morning breakfast was in the dining room and not the conservatory and it felt more like a self-service cafeteria, but not important in the scheme of things.
One nice aspect of the Hotel was that pets and children seemed to be welcome and the general ambience in the lounge and seating areas was one of relaxation and welcome. We will definitely return, but suspect that the summer months will be too busy for what we look for in a weekend break and so will leave it until October.

Great hotel, unless you want a good night's sleep...

by TripAdvisor Member jspoi

Details first: One night's stay (on a Sunday) for my wedding Anniversary. Cost was £136 after discount for a double room, including dinner.

I'll start off the review by saying it was one of the friendliest, most welcoming hotels I've stayed in. I can't remember her name, but the 'elderly' (sorry) lady who welcomed us as we checked in was extremely professional, but not at the expense of warmth and friendliness - with that start to the one night we had booked there, I had extremely high hopes.

All the other staff we met there we extremely polite, knowledgeable, professional, clean and pleasant.

The food was nice. It was from the set menu (as the price we paid included dinner), and though it had the feel of a meal that had been prepared 1000 times, and there wasn't much individual love put into your plate, it still tasted lovely. I recommend the soup and the salmon...

Bar prices were typical hotel prices. It's funny how you shy away from spending £5 on a bottle of wine sometimes, but don't even flinch at paying that per-glass at a hotel. The bar was clean, comfortable, and quiet enough to be romantic, with enough hub-bub from other guests to keep it from being dead.

The view from the hotel was spectacular. Going out onto the shore of the loch, and looking back at the hotel was just as nice. Beautifully positioned, and a great asset to a little village.

However...

My two complaints about this hotel are.

1) The changing area for the swimming pool was a pervert's dream. Well, that's probably a bit harsh, but due to the gaps in the fabric 'walls' of the unisex changing cubicles it's easy to see in to each cubicle as you walk by. You don't even have to try hard to see in to where others are changing (fortunately, it was just me and my lovely wife).

And, the cubicle doors are so low that you can see in over them as you walk by too.

So, get changed QUICKLY if you're going for a swim (or come with your shorts/costume on under your clothes, and worry about getting changed out of them later).

(The pool was nice by the way, and the sauna was good and hot, so it's worth the risk of being seen in your birthday suit).

2) I went to sleep about midnight. The alarm was set for 8. You'd think I'd have got at least 7 hours sleep, maybe 7.5. Unfortunately, no. I think the two of us got about 4 hours sleep.

As we were on the ground floor of the hotel (room 3 14) there were two floors above us. We only needed one floor to keep us awake though. The celing (and therefore, floor of the floor above) was obviously a thin build, and creaked and creaked and CREAKED all night as the restless family above did a half-marathon across the floor.

Sure, this could be a rare occasion that the floor above would spend most of the night moving around, but I don't think it should matter if they have a herd of elephants in there, I shouldn't be able to hear them moving while I'm trying to sleep off the expensive glasses of wine I've just had.

I'm not particularly a light sleeper. Make a noise loud enough, and I'll wake up, sure - but it takes a lot to keep me awake (especially with the aforementioned wine), and 'them upstairs' made more than enough noise through the ceiling to do just that.

Could have been worse noises I guess...

But, I kinda figure the end purpose of a hotel is somewhere to rest your weary head at the end of the day spent investigating a slate mine (with incredible clear water) - and though Ballachulish provided the slate mine, the Swallow Isles of Glencoe Hotel didn't provide the good night's sleep.

Which is a real shame. I'd love to have come on here and raved about it as much as others have, and I'm sure if I was on the third floor, or away from the marathon walkers, it may have been a different story - but first impressions count - a lot.

Comments