Caledonian House

See Amenities

Hotel near Loch Ness

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 20, 2008

I stayed there for a few days at the end of August and found it to be comfortable and very reasnably priced. The town is only a few minutes walk away and there is a livley bar down stairs.

Unique Quality: Loch Ness is less than a ten minute walk away

Directions: On the road entering Fort Augustus from Fort William.

Rusket's Profile Photo

Back at last!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 23, 2006

YES! I found the building! Yes, it is still a hotel. AND YES, it is still run by members of the same family as last time I was there :-) Johanna, one of the siblings, who used to work in the kitchen, is the proprietor now. And she still works in the kitchen :-) She remembered me, she even remembered which room I and my sons stayed in 21 years ago! (pic. 2) Her husband and coworker, then a friend of her brother's, remembered more. The more we talked, the more we remembered. I managed to talk June into spending a night there. Actually, it did not take much, she fell in love with the place, too :-)

One of the things I remember from last time, is the locals who would come into the bar in the evenings. They were still coming. What was new; live music in the lobby by one of the daughters of the family and her friends, who use the hotel to practice their folk music :-) (pic. 4)

Pic. 5 actually belongs to the restaurant tip, but there was only room for five, so the sixth one is here. It shows how full we got from the delicious dinner. (poons, since I took the picture ;-)

We paid GBP 65 for a twin room, breakfast included.

Unique Quality: WIFI, homey atmosphere, nice old building well renovated, comfy, cozy, friendly. I loved it in 1985, I was absolutely not disappointed now, on the contrary!

Directions: On A82 immediately south of Loch Ness. On the right side when going towards the lake.

Nearby Caledonian House

6 Photos of Caledonian House

Amenities at Caledonian House

• Suites
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Wheelchair Accessible
  • Free Parking

Fort Augustus Travel Forum

Need advice about Fort Augustus, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Fort Augustus and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Fort Augustus hotel reviews