Fort Augustus, PH32 4BL, United Kingdom

My starter, Caledonian HotelMy starter, Caledonian Hotel

Travel Tips for Fort Augustus

Fort Augustus

by Manara

I was surprised when I saw that so little had been posted on Virtual Tourist about this charming village situated in the heart of the Highlands.

I am not posting much myself, because I took just a one-day trip to Fort Augustus while I was staying in Fort William and my pictures are not very good. I did not have a digital camera and the pictures I have scanned were taken with a small auto-focus camera.

Fort Augustus is at the southern end of the Loch Ness (see the picture at the bottom left) and one of the locks of the Caledonian Canal is here (picture on the top-left).

The Caledonian Canal is a waterway connecting the Northeast coast of Scotland to the Southeast. It consists of the four lakes of the Great Glen (Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich, Loch Lochy) and man-made canals to connect them. Due to the differences in altitude, there are 29 locks along the route.

Circumnavigating Scotland - Part 3

by daarth

"July 10– Inverness to Fort Augustus"

(Skipper)
08:50 BST: A huge breakfast with egg, bacon and everything. After breakfast we climb 3-4 locks.

(Skipper)
14:00 BST: We're in the middle of Lock Ness. The Monster has received ale from us, but would not appear. The weather is a good. Calm, sunny, cloudy and a little rain now and then. Helmut is steering and the iron genua is driving us forward. We stopped by an old castle ruin, and we could hear bagpipe music flowing out to us.

(skipper)
We are now at Fort Augustus. I've eaten ”Haggis" and it was real good. The 1st has been up the mast and done repairs. We need to celebrate this with a drink.

"Under construction"

The tale begins on my homepage travelogue "the North Sea"
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤