2 The Steadings, Auchterawe, Fort Augustus, PH32 4BT, United Kingdom

My meat, Caledonian HotelMy meat, Caledonian Hotel

poons and her starter, Caledonian Hotelpoons and her starter, Caledonian Hotel

Hotel recommendation

by LiviaS

The pages of VT members have helped us very much in creating an tinerary for our holidays of next summer, but there are no recent info about hotels in Fort Augustus. We prefer hotels or B&B than hostels.

by leics

Not too many hotels/b&bs to choose from in the area, for obvious reasons, but here they are:

by LiviaS

Thank you, but have you been there? I can find websites, but I hoped to find someone with a direct experience.

I have noticed a strange thing - When I logged in I saw a notice saying there were two replies to my question, but now I can read only one.

by leics

That is is because a post was deleted by staff.

If there are no recent reviews on hotels in Fort Augustus on VT it is because no VT-er has stayed in one recently (and written a tip about it).

Try googling the hotel/b&b name +'reviews'. Totally disregard any which are excessively critical or excessive in their praise (there are plenty of reasons why such reviews are posted, few of which relate to actual guest experiences). Take note of the middle ground.

by LiviaS

Deleted you say, this explains all. Maybe somebody had posted an advertisment?!

I have been reading this forum for some time before registering and I have read very helpful advices from people who have not written any tips on the same subject, so I still hope that some member has a review to offer.

Thank you anyway.

by hawkhead

Gosh, when we were in Fort Augustus reasonably recently I don't remember seeing any hotels. But then I wasn't really looking for them! However, there may be B&Bs. However, there is the Inchnacardoch Hotel a few miles north of Fort Augustus. I'll have a think and get back to you.

by hawkhead

If you google "accommodation fort augustus" at least eight places come up, and most of them seem to be hotels - how I could miss them when we were there, beats me! Must have been the clear Highland air.....

by leics

I think it is actually because most of them are outside Fort Augustus itself.......in the general area, rather than in the town. I may be wrong......

by hawkhead

Yup, you are (the ma shows quite a few in the centre of town) but thank you for giving me an out for my failing eyesight and total introversion!!

by leics

There you go then......me too. :-))

Travel Tips for Fort Augustus

Nostalgia

by Rusket

In 1985 I was on a road trip through UK with my (then) two sons. We had a lot of rain, and when we got to a small town by the south-west end of Loch Ness, and found a cozy hotel run by a nice family, we just settled down for a while. Four of 7 siblings were running the hotel while their mother, the boss, was hospitalized. They were very busy, and since I did not have a lot to do in the rain, I started helping out in the bar in the evenings :-) After closing hours one of the siblings and I would sit in the kitchen playing backgammon until early next morning :-)

Now I was on a road trip again, together with VT members poons and Backpackermoose. Getting closer and closer to Fort Augustus, I became more and more excited. Would I find the hotel after 21 years? Would it still be a hotel? Would it be run by the same family?

"Nessie"