Bank Street, Fort William, Lochaber, PH33 6AY, United Kingdom

Neptune's StaircaseNeptune's Staircase

Nessie replica in Fort AugustusNessie replica in Fort Augustus

Ben NevisBen Nevis

Great Glen WayGreat Glen Way

Best itinerary for 5 days in Scotland by rail?

by mafalda47

We are traveling England, Scotland and Wales by BritRail pass. For our 5 days in Scotland we are thinking of visiting Edingburgh, Glencoe, Fort William and the Isle of Skye. Not sure if we can fit anything else.

Would appreciate advice on how best to use the 5 days while traveling on our Britrail pass.

Re: Best itinerary for 5 days in Scotland by rail?

by iaint

The train route to Fort William will be spectacular. You can go on from there to Mallaig and there used to be a ferry connection from there to Skye. No trains on Skye itself, of course. Those train services start at Glasgow Queen St station. You will need 2 days assuming you just overnight on Skye or in the area.

The other spectacular route is Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh, which is where the other Skye ferry operated before the bridge was built. The trip to Inverness is worth doing too. You can get Inverness trains in Edinburgh or Glasgow. I'd suggest a night in Inverness and one in the Kyle area (Plockton is worth trying for).

I assume you have the Scotrail website for times & routes. Calmac is the ferry company. Google it for website.

Re: Best itinerary for 5 days in Scotland by rail?

by sfdodger

I have been using a rail pass for years and have found that by using buses and private guides I was able to go to most places. I would not spend any time in Ft. William, however I would do the Glasgow to Oban route, spend the night and take the Bowman's tour to Mull and Iona. The following morning I would take the train to Mallaig, ferry to Amadale on Skye and have a private driver take you to a B&B. Do a 1/2 day tour and then the afternoon train from Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness. Then train down back to Edinburgh either via Aberdeen or Pitlochry.

If you want to miss Skye I would take the Citylink bus from Oban to Ft. William and then onto Inverness and train onwards.

Travel Tips for Fort William

Inveraray Castle

by sim1

Another beautiful castle I see on my roundtrip, but unfortunately this one was als closed. If you want information about Inveraray castle, please take a look on this website :

Opening times :
1st April - 31st October:
Monday-Saturday from 10:00 to 17:45 (last admission 17:00)
On Sundays from 12: 00 to 17:45

Admission fee:
Adults £6.30, Senior Citizens £5.20, Students £5.20 and children (under 16) £4.10. A familiy ticket (2 adults & 2 or more children) will cost you £17.00 (prices 2007)

Fort William

by sim1

Fort William is close to Glencoe and is a nice little town with a lot of facilities. It is the tourist center of the area, and has a lot of places where you can stay. Entering this little town there was one "bed and breakfast" after the other. In the center of town you can find this statue. We went a lot to Fort William to do the shopping, go to the pub and have dinner.

Wet weather gear...

by CandS

Bring some wet weather clothing...it's almost sure to rain on you at some stage during your visit...especially if you visit in the autumn or winter months. Take lots of film for the many photos you will take around Glen Coe! :)

Glen Coe

by WorldRunner100

Glen Coe was one of the most beautiful places we saw on our trip. Though not all that close to Fort William, it was the closest location I could find on virtual tourist. It isn't really too far by car. It is a sharp valley less than half a mile wide and 10 miles long. We hiked to the center of the valley by the stream that runs through it, where a few of us ate our lunch. I wish we would of had more time. It was one of the prettiest places I saw in Scotland. I wrote more on my travel blog and posted some photos: http://adams-travel-blog.blogspot.com/2009/07/scotland-day-3.html
It's definitely worth a couple hours, if not a full day of hiking.

Blarmafoldach Viewpoint

by himalia11

The viewpoint is found in the south-east of Fort William on the street to Blarmafoldach. It's a lovely viewpoint, with several picnic benches and the view from there is just great! You can see Fort William with Loch Linnhe and Ben Nevis, it's a very nice place for a rest!

Comments