North Rd, Fort William, Lochaber, PH33 6TG, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Average

Costs 91% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• davlaurjen's Profile Photo

Delightful Hotel and Leisure Club

Comfortable accommodation.Lovely location.Delicious food.Friendly staff.Good Leisure facilities.My wife and I had an enjoyable 3-day break in February 2011 at the Ben Nevis Hotel.All of this at a reasonable price.I would highly recommend this hotel,and judging by the large number of guests with children,it is ideal for families too.

Unique Quality: Great choice of food,including local delicacies like Gamekeeper's Stew and Smoked Salmon.Heated Pool,sauna,steam-room,solarium and gym.At the foot of Ben Nevis.

Directions: A mile north of the town of Fort William.Railway to Glasgow or Mallaig.Bus services and taxis a-plenty.

More about Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club

Perfect Stay

by TripAdvisor Member staffa2

My wife and I spent a thoroughly enjoyable 3 day stay at the Ben Nevis Hotel and Leisure Club. The staff were warm and friendly, the food was excellent, service efficient and friendly. We have stayed quite a few times and really notice the improvements being made by Strathmore Hotels. The rooms are comfortable and clean but due some work. We will return soon.

Obviously don't need your money

by TripAdvisor Member lynn_edin

It's strange writing a review of a hotel you've never stayed in. My experience involves trying to organise a meeting/conference facility for my company. Having emailed the hotel in the first place (their website states they will do everything to make the experience as easy as possible!), I got no response. I then tried on at least 4 occasions to speak to "Susan" who appears not to exist, albeit she is the Conference Organiser.

At last I managed to speak with their General Manager, Brian, on 12 September and told him our requirements. He was unpleasant and surly on the telephone, not what one expects when putting a company strategy conference in their hands. He asked I put the details down in a fax and also include our company credit card details in the fax. I sent the fax within 5 minutes of speaking to him but for security said he should telephone me to provide a quote at which time I would provide our company credit card details for him to secure the booking.

Well, as of today, having left 3 messages for Brian to call me, I've heard nothing. I called again this morning, Brian was obviously within earshot and was "too busy". They asked if he could call me back and I said yes as long as someone DID call me back.

I've now secured the booking else at the Moorings Hotel - very easy, dealt with reception, a pleasure.

The Ben Nevis Hotel and Leisure Club obviously don't need the money so do what I have done and take it elsewhere.

I GUARANTEE you that you can find something better than this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jkj

Our group spent an interesting evening at this hotel during our tour of Scotland. We were travelling around Scotland and had the opportunity to stay in some very nice accomodations. This hotel was the only low-point of an otherwise wonderful trip. In fact, our guide cringed when she saw that this hotel was (for some unavoidable reason) on our schedule. It seems that this hotel is actually quite infamous among the hospitality industry in Scotland. I will admit that not everything about the hotel was deplorable. Some of our group were housed in the newer addition to the hotel and I'll admit that these rooms were not that bad (my husband and I were not so lucky). The fitness center and the pool were also quite nice and I have no complaints there. I only wish that the pool was open later so that I could have stayed there longer and avoided returning to my room. I think a number of hotel guests must have shared this feeling because large groups constantly hovered around the main entrance and sat in chairs thoughout the main hall and in the bar for most of the evening. In the lounge/hall/conference room, there was a solo accordianist on a stage (circa Studio 54 in New York City in the 1970's - but not quite so classy) providing the evening's entertainment, although very few people actually ventured into the hall (which I gather from the literature and photos posted around the hotel seems to double as the world's most depressing place to hold a wedding). Now, back to the rooms in the original part of the hotel - and the reason that everyone was avoiding them - they were absolutely DREADFUL, with the bathrooms earning particularly dubious marks for both cleanliness and lack of function for their intended purpose. Be aware that the electrical outlets in this part of the hotel are somewhat suspect as well (at least they were in our room). The dining room was also quite an experience. We arrived about 5 minutes prior to our scheduled dining time and were told to leave and come back since they were not ready for us. This seemed strange since the dining room was mostly empty at the time, but we did as we were told. During dinner it became apparent why the restaurant host was so insistent about the very specific timing of dinner reservations. Rather than fully staffing the dining room (this was high season in mid-June, mind you), the restaurant has a fairly skeletal waitstaff who are required to service the entire restaurant. So, what they seemed to do is to have a group come in, order the entire meal from appetizer through dessert and then they deliver your food and move on quickly. If you should need more water, or if there is a problem with your meal, or really, if you need any service at all - just forget about it - because the harried waitstaff is already very busy with the next group. I don't fault the waitstaff here because they were actually very pleasant, all things considered, and they tried their best, but they were given a very difficult task due to the manner in which the hotel staffed the place. The waitstaff was a lovely group of some of the most beautiful and handsome people I have ever seen, who appeared to have been enticed by the hotel representatives from Eastern Europe and Africa through one of those international job fairs. I seriously doubt that they knew what was in store for them when they got to the Ben Nevis Hotel in Scotland. While the waitstaff definitely tried hard to rise above their surroundings - it was hopeless. They probably deserve hazard pay for being stuck at this hotel! There was also a rather serious dearth of staff members in the front desk and housekeeping departments - and we never did locate any representatives from the bell staff - which would not normally be such an issue - however there was no lift up to our room and so all luggage had to be dragged up a hideously tartan-carpeted staircase through a series of annoying fire doors. We managed this all right - but, if a guest was elderly or had a physical disability, this would pose a serious challenge. I almost feel as if I should upgrade my rating from "Terrible" to "Okay" because my son and I did enjoy the more recently renovated fitness center - but the room itself was just SO bad. I would like to give Fort William another chance on my next visit to Scotland because the mountain range and the scenery in the surrounding area was quite charming - but I know where I will NOT be staying. Do yourself a favor and seriously consider other lodging options in this part of Scotland.

Completely Unacceptable

by TripAdvisor Member Stumpino

My husband and I, along with another couple, stayed at this hotel on a Saturday night in July because we were attending a wedding reception in the hotel.

I completely agree with other reviewers about the poor decor of the rooms and corridors but, as we were only at the hotel to attend a wedding, this alone would not have prompted me to post a review.

The service we received, however, certainly did!

As the wedding reception was starting at 7.30pm we headed down to the bar at about 5.45pm to order some drinks and sandwiches before we had to get ready for the evening.

We were all gobsmacked to be told that the bar or restaurant did not start serving food until 6.30pm. We were not even able to order sandwiches and discovered that from 2.45-6.30pm you are not able to order food of any description in this hotel.

As ordering at 6.30pm would not leave us enough time to get ready for the wedding we had to resort to walking 15 minutes to the nearest garage to buy sandwiches.

In a 3* hotel & leisure club marketing itself as a quality establishment this is completely unacceptable and I would urge you to avoid the Ben Nevis.

Don't stay here!!

by TripAdvisor Member hotelqueen

All of the bad things you see in the reviews about this hotel are true, from the 1970's hall of residence decor, tired and worn furnishings, unavailability of food during the day (until I stayed here I have never been directed in the direction of a local petrol station before for a sandwich by a hotel receptionist!!!). I don't know what else to add. A totally depressing experience, we couldn't wait to leave.

DON'T BELIEVE ALL THAT YOU READ

by TripAdvisor Member bt2112

After reading some of the earlier reviews after booking this hotel, I did not know what I was letting myself into.But the hotel turned out to be EXCELLENT
Clean and tidy , excellent food , STAFF VERY HELPFULL AND FRIENDLY. Public areas all very good, Room was a bit worn/old fashioned but clean and tidy .
LEISURE CLUB EXCELLENT AND A GOOD SIZE
I WILL USE THIS HOTEL AGAIN

Great Value, Teriffic Location

by TripAdvisor Member Shazar

Just had to let everyone know what a great value this hotel is.
We paid £69 per night - for the two of us Dinner, Bed and Breakfast! Our whole bill including bar drinks was less than £160 two nights!!! Where else would you get value for money like that - with a pool too.
Going on the bad reviews - people seem to expect an awful lot for their money these days.
Yes the room and the hotel are slightly jaded, but they have begun renovations. I'm sure the price will not be so cheap once the place is all done up.
The menu was great, 4 courses and terrific portions. I had lamb the first night and venison the next. I can highly recommend the biscuits and cheese for afters.
The reception and bar staff was very friendly and helpful.
The Polish waiting staff in the restaurant could have done with a smile, but the service was very good.
The location is great too. Short walk to town and short drive to the ski slopes and gondola.
Another 40 minutes up the road and you are at Loch Ness.
Overall fantastic trip and on a budget too.

A Delight!!

by TripAdvisor Member Thelmaontour

We have just spent a delightful holiday weekend in this very pleasant Hotel with lovely, fresh, clean, leisure facilities and very welcoming friendly staff. The hotel has been taken over by Strathmore hotels who are definitely working hard to dispell the old image with investment in renovation. We stayed in the recently refurbished area and it was very clean and comfortable. We got a fantastic deal for £30 a head B&B per night which included full use of the leisure facilities and we were invited to make ourselves comfortable & use the facilities if we wished even after we checked out. The selection at breakfast was excellent ranging from traditional porridge & fry up to cereals, croisant, yoghurts, fresh fruit, cheese, cold meats. It is only a short journey into Fort William which can be walked by the fit or Taxi £4.80 (6th May 2007). You can Dine in the Hotel restaurant set menu or chose bar meals in the Bar area. The Hotel was very busy when we stayed with the 6 day bike trials and an Army convention but we were still served quickly, efficiently and hospitably.

Horrible, book a different Hotel in Fort William.

by TripAdvisor Member Vonce

My wife and I stayed at this Hotel for one night only in April with two friends, we stayed in a twin room and our friends had a single room each. We paid £74 for a twin room and our friends paid £50 each for a single room. At these prices we expected a hotel of a reasonable standard as was portrayed on the hotels website, however we were sadly mistaken. The twin room was barely large enough to stretch your arms in and the decor was mismatched, outdated, bashed and dismal. The same can be said about the single rooms too. The staff seemed friendly enough and the bar and lounge was ok, but overall having stayed in many hotels around the world and within the UK we are very disappointed with this hotel and would not recommend it too anybody. We have stayed in much nicer hotels for a lot less money.

Please Don't Waste Money on This Hotel- Dreadful

by TripAdvisor Member Jane10uk

My husband and I were booked to stay 2 nights in this hotel at a price of £118 per night. On arrival we changed to 1 night before even seeing the room. On reflection we should have done an about turn and left demanding our deposit back as it was not worth the money. Our room was dated, had a foot through the plaster, lampshades looked like they had experienced a few rounds with Mike Tyson, bathroom was horrible. At 7am we had a coach load of pensioners outside our room shouting at the tops of there voices, clearly forgotton to put their hearing aids in. Breakfast was like being at school camp again. Our holiday involved travelling for 17 days staying in different hotels/guest houses/pubs and I have to say this place was our most expensive night and by far our worst room!

Church in Fort WilliamChurch in Fort William

Road leading up to the lighthouseRoad leading up to the lighthouse

Caledonian CanalCaledonian Canal