Achintore Road, Fort William, Lochaber, PH33 6RR, United Kingdom

Priceline.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

• Good two star hotel Lochside

Whilst fairly basic (it is only a 2*) the room was kept clean, no damp (as seen on previous comments) food was satisfactory. Staff were friendly and always helpful. Our view was just the side of a hill but did not worry us as we were not in the room long enough to worry. There are public areas with great views of the loch and mountains. There is a bus stop right outside of the hotel to take you into Fort William, so is hardly isolated as has been reported.
    If I had believed all the negative reports I would not have gone, I think some people want four or five star treatment from a two star hotel.
    There was a comments form we filled in, but in my opinion there were two important questions missing.
    1) Would you stay at the hotel again? YES!

2) Would you recomend to friends and family? YES!

Unique Quality: Superb views of the Loch and Mountains from the public rooms. You can take a nice walk 'lochside'. For those who like a slightly longer walk you can walk to Fort William, about two miles away (along a flat road)

More about Croit Anna Hotel

Dirty Duds

by jag17

We arrived in Fort William in need of a laundromat. Unfortunately, FW has no public laundry services. The only place in town was the Croit Anna Hotel. We were relieved to find out that non-guests were allowed to use the facilities. They only have two washers, and two dryers, but we didn't mind the wait.

The Croit Anna is located 2.5 miles south of town.

Open Countryside

you can go Glasgow to Mallaig on the train

www.nationalrail.co.uk - look at the journey planner

there are no changes but it takes 5+ hours

you will see some of the countryside on the way up there and i think yo uwill get a discount using the britrail pass -- if not there are advance tickets you maybe able to buy ( upto 6pm on the day prior to your journey usually )
once in Mallaig you can access a wealth of options regarding hte highlands areas - and if you want to stay in FOrt William my mother in law would recommend the Croit Anna Hotel ( owned by Alpha Travel Company) its nothing spectacular but she says its clean and the food is good and the staff are more than accommodating to guest needs
also try visit scotland.com ( i think ) for ideas
hope this gives you a starting point and that you enjoy your visit

Julie

Croit Anna To The RescueCroit Anna To The Rescue

Another view of the castleAnother view of the castle

Commando Memorial, Spean BridgeCommando Memorial, Spean Bridge

Fort WilliamFort William

Your opinion?

by SusieQQ

I will have 8 days in Scotland in September. I am an older woman and I don't want to drive. Here are two options that I am considering during my stay:
1) train from Edinburgh to Inverness and take two day trips with Puffin Express, one to Skye and one north to O'Groats. This would mean two nights in Inverness. I would then take the train to St.Andrews.
2)Rabbies 3 day tour to Skye, departing and returning to Edinburgh. Spending two nights in Portree..Then to St. Andrews.

by doodybee

why not try the company who own Croit Anna in Fort William - www.alfatravel.co.uk
they do day tours from this base - to places like Inverness Syke Oban and others -depending on when you want to go and from where -
the hotel is used to single women attending as my mother in law is a regular visitor ( i mean like 3 or 4 times every year) - so it can't be bad --
dependng on the length of stay you may get free days to entertain yourself in

hope you find something suitable
Julie

by SusieQQ

Julie, thanks for the quick response. I went to that web site and can't find that they do day tours...maybe I'm looking in the wrong plae.

hiya

the main page does say excursions included -- give the a ring and check
08451 305666(local call rate )

MiL goes there and yes there are tours - depends on the days you stay as to where you go though - i think

check the telephone number out and ask - but they definately do them

by hawkhead

A day trip to Skye from Inverness is a long day and I wonder how much time you would have at any one place. Also if the weather is bad, it is a long time to spend in a bus looking at scenery through raindrops, especially as then there wouldn't be much scenery because the clouds would be down!! Ditto for John O'Groats. Perhaps you would do better basing yourself in Fort William.

by SusieQQ

Thanks, Hawkhead, What do you think of my second option...a three day trip to Skye, roundtrip from Edinburgh?

by hawkhead

I think that sounds totally more restful and feasible. You will go through some absolutely stunning scenery via Loch Lomond and Glen Coe. It means you can start and finish in Edinburgh, and have a reasonable amount of time on Skye, and then go on up to St Andrews if you wish.

by lou31

I like your first option best. Have you heard of Premium Tours? I went on a 3 day tour from Edinburgh through the highlands to Inverness, a day trip to Skye and then another day travelling back to Edinburgh. It was a good little tour.

I too will be in Scotland soon and am hesitant about driving. If I need to travel around I tend to just use the public buses for shorter trips and trains for longer ones.

Have fun!

by Adelle123

Between the original 2 ideas, definitely No.2 (Rabbies) by far Inverness is ok, but Portree is beautiful.

Travel Tips for Fort William

Glencoe

by Krumel

Glencoe is a most dramatic glen with high forbidding mountains rising to both sides of the road that leads through the valley. I was there on a lovely summer’s day and found it absolutely breathtaking. The only disadvantage was that because it had not rained for a while many of the waterfalls had dried up. But I have also heard that some people find the atmosphere in Glencoe rather oppressive and feel intimidated and belittled by the towering peaks all around them. Seeing these steep and bare mountainsides it is hard to imagine that this place was actually home to more than 300 people at some stage. To read more about the history of Glencoe and for more pics please see my travelogue.

The Road To the Isles - Towards Malaig & Skye

by scotlandscotour

A beautiful, beautiful journey ... along the route taken by the train to Malaig (see other tips) but by road you get to stop off at Glenfinnan to photograph the viaduct, to explore the beaches by Arisaig and generally soak up the atmosphere (as long as you leave the car!)

See my General Tip about the hospital!
It was on this journey I had a bad cycling accident, resulting in the ambulance driving 20+ miles from Ft William to scrape me off the road. I'll spare you the details!

Funny story - Two passers by stopped their cars and brought first aid boxes to help me, as I lay bleeding. Both boxes contained miniature whisky bottles - so be warned - Scottish first-aid may be a bit primitive!!!
(Despite 'shock' I had the sense to refuse such hospitality - makes you think of the word though ... hospital.)

Good Map

Ben Nevis

by Sprucebeer

"Fort William Area"

Majestic Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the UK is located near Fort-William in the Highlands of Scotland and sits at the head of Loch Linnhe. With its highest peak is at 1344 meters, it is THE place for skiing and snowboarding in Scotland. It’s also a very popular mountain for climbs. Which surely makes Fort William a magnet for tourist and outdoorsmen alike.

We stopped for lunch in Fort William on our way to Mallaig to catch the ferry to the Isle of Skye. It was hard to grasp the height of the mountain range from here. Not sure if it was because Fort William is not the best view point but the fact that it was a rainy day and the mountain tops were covered in mist certainly did not help.

Comments