Westhaven Bed & Breakfast

Westhaven Bed & Breakfast
Hotels.com Travelocity Tingo.com

More about Fort William

High StreetHigh Street

View from the observation deckView from the observation deck

Caledonian CanalCaledonian Canal

Glen NevisGlen Nevis

DRIVING FROM FORT WILLIAM

by JuniperBerry

Which is a more interesting and feasible day-trip from Fort William:

1. Driving through the "Road-to-the Isles" (Passing through Glenfinnan [esp. Glenfinnan Viaduct because my sister is a Harry Potter fan] and, Arisaig, Morar Mallaig)
OR

2. Visiting Eilean Donan

Please note that we plan to take the 7:00 pm train from Edinburgh to Fort William (arriving at 12 noon), and returning to Edinburgh the same day via CityLink Bus departing at 7pm So this roughly gives us 7 hours only for the day trip.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to all your feedback!

by globetrott

I think 1) is better and more scenic, especially the last bit, where you go along the coast with plenty of small islands and Isle of Skye in a distance.
I hope you ment to take a 7 A.m. train from E'burgh, so you will go through Rannoch Moore by daylight. This big area will have just mountains,giant lakes a few sheep and maybe only 3 houses, including a youthhostel and a station in the wilderness, just ment for hikers, with not a single house around.

by JuniperBerry

Yes, you are right! I meant 7AM TRAIN FROM EDINBURGH! I wish VT had an "EDIT" button :0(

Just curious, why aren't you so hot about Eilean Donan? It's supposed to be the most photographed castle in Scotland and all that . Is it a tourist trap? will it be a letdown after we've seen Glamis and Balmoral Castle?

Thanks again!

by Speysider

Hello there,
I would say that the more feasible trip to do considering the time constraint that you have it would probably be best to do the “Road-to-the Isles" as it is only 80+ miles round trip from Fort William. Eilean Donan is approximately 130+miles round trip. I take it you are renting a car at Fort William? Both trips have great scenery but going up to Eilean Donan you’ll be tempted to possible go and see a wee bit of Skye as you’ll be so close and you may even think about going to see Urquhart castle on Loch Ness. If you do, you really will have to watch your time for getting back to catch your bus back to Edinburgh! In my opinion I’d go the Road to the Isles as you’ll be less likely to divert from your plan but you’ll need all your time to take in the views!
Eilean Donan in my opinion is far superior to Balmoral both in location and entrance fee! Balmoral in a bit of a con as you only get to see a very small part of the interior for the money you have to pay. Also depending on what time of year you are visiting Balmoral it is not open for visitors if any of the royal family are in residence remember.

by globetrott

Hi !
You are obviously talking about a TRAIN-ride and I have done the one to Mallaig myself by steamtrain (like harry Potter).
Eilean Donan I have done by car and I am not sure what it looks like from a train, I am not even sure there is a train at all.
On my rather small map I saw a train from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh, but not any further.
The castle is great, when you have time to enjoy the view, walk around it etc.
The view also differs a lot between ebb and tide, because at ebb you see just the sea-weed around the castle and no sea at all.
I simply had the feeling, when you have just 1 single day for such a trip it might be better to go to Mallaig because of the landscapes that you may see, while riding the train.

by xscorcho

I went to the ED Castle and thought it was nice.. I did not go inside though. Personally, I like the natural scenery more than the castles. And I agree that if you can go to Isle of Skye.. do it! It is so beautiful up there. Ahh, Scotland is all wonderful... I think you will like whichever you pick!

by Adelle123

If you only have several hours, then the drive to Mallaig is probably more rewarding as there are some very picturesque beaches near arisaig. I've been both ways several times (as i live in the isles) and if you have several days, go to Skye as it is stunning. If only a few hours you wont have enough time to enjoy the scenery as you will be driving past it too fast! Mallaig is the best choice in my opinion :)

by JuniperBerry

Thanks for you feedback, people! You've all been very helpful :0)

by Celticfawn

Eilean Donan Castle is lovely and certainly is a better value than either Balmoral or Glamis. Its setting is just perfect - the loch is gorgeous!
However you really don't have much time and trying to get there, go through the castle and back to Ft. William in the allotted time will be a crunch.

The Road to the Isles is lovely although Mallaig is a must miss in my opinion. You might be better off seeing if the train will connect and get you back to Ft. William in time.

Best bet would be to try as you might to squeeze an extra day. Just too much to see to try to get it into 5 hours!

Kat

by RhineRoll

I would agree with Kat here. The area is not very suitable for fast-food travel. Go watch Local Hero LOL

Travel Tips for Fort William

And off I go....

by sim1

23rd December 1995, there I go! Everyone got the days off from work and my friend Louise booked a little cottage in Glencoe. They left a day before me, which means that I will have a lovely and warm cottage waiting for me, fresh coffee when I arrive and a cheerful welcome :-)

I leave very early in the morning and take the ferry from "Hoek van Holland" to "Harwich". But from Harwich, which is in the south of England, it is still a very long drive to Scotland. But that is no problem, because I am used to driving a lot of kilometers and I enjoy seeing the different landscapes passing by.

The driving seems to go without problems, I am ahead of schedule. And when I arrive in the northern part of England I see the first snow..... oooh, it looks so beautiful! I really would love to go visit this area as well.... and I did, a few years later. But that will be another story, but also a great vacation!

I listen to the news and get worried... snow, snow and more SNOW, the weather forcast predicts a lot of snow for the rest of the day. Problems on the roads... warnings.... oops, that doesn't sound very good! So I decide to hurry up, the sooner we get to Glencoe, the better.
I did get snow... and I got it bad!!! It was like a blizzard, I could hardly see anything anymore. The roads are slippery and full of snow. I have to drive so slowly... I get to Glasgow... even more snow.... will I ever make it to Glencoe?

A closer look at Glenfinnan Monument

by sim1

A closer look at the monument. It is a tall column headed by a Highlander in full dress. You can climb this column, but unfortunately was closed when we where there.

The tower is now in the custody of the National Trust for Scotland and a Visitor Centre here (open April - October, tel/fax: 01397 722250) which tells the Prince's story.

I wish I could have climbed the tower. The view you must have from up there.... wow, that must be so great. Take a look at the next picture to see what the view is like from the ground, and imagine what it must be like from the tower......

Inverlochy Castle

by WorldRunner100

Not far from Ben Nevis is Inverlochy Castle. I've seen quite a few castles but this one was pretty cool. Not the most impressive castle in either size or grandeur (it's just the ruins that are left of the castle), but as it was abandoned during the Scottish Wars of Independence (1296-1357) it is easy to imagine what it looked like when it was built around 1270. Generally it seems like castles were expanded upon or modernized from defensive fortresses to residences, but this one sits just as it was in medieval times. Inverlochy Castle belonged to Clan Comyn who were rivals of the famous king of Scotland, Robert the Bruce, and were nearly completely wiped out as a result. The castle is exactly what a kid would draw if you asked them to draw a typical castle. It is a square with a tower at each corner, surrounded by a moat (now dry). From a historical perspective, it was neat to see a typical, simple medieval castle. You can see it all in less than an hour, but it's definitely worth the time. I posted more info and photos on my travel blog at:

Loch Ness

by Skibbe

When I got back to the U.S., people asked me if I saw the Loch Ness Monster while here. I told them yes, I had seen it in souvenir shops all over Scotland. Even brought back a few. We took an hour cruise from Fort Augustus and loved the scenery and the guides occasional references to Nessie.

Mallaig Harbor

by frank_delargy

You can get to Mallaig from Fort William by a relatively short car drive or by train. The destination is a nice town, with enough amenities including restaurants, stores and mini-museums to occupy a few hours, but the great value of this trip is in the trip itself. On the way from Fort William to Mallaig you will go through some of the loveliest scenery in the highlands.
Mallaig is still a fishing town with an active port. You should easily be able to sea seals swimming around in the harbor and get a great fish supper in town.

Comments