Golf View Hotel

Seabank Rd, The Seafront (formerly Swallow), Nairn, Scottish Highlands, IV12 4HD, United Kingdom
Golf View Hotel & Spa
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Golf View Hotel

New Ownership -- Falling Standards

by TripAdvisor Member sliderule

My wife and I have just returned from a short break at the Golf View -- the latest of many visits to this hotel during the last 30 years. We were shocked to find that standards have plummeted since our last visit 3 months ago. The hotel is now under new ownership and appears to be seriously short-staffed; particularly in the Kitchen. The housekeeping / facilities standards are reasonable, but the most noticeable change was the decline in Restaurant standards.

The wide ranging a la carte menu has gone -- completely. The only offering is a 6+6+6 table d'hote menu that, we understand, runs unchanged for 2 weeks. That's it. That's your lot. Take it or leave it.
A discussion with the Chef indicated that a limited number of "specials" are available every night, but they were never offered and the staff didn't know anything about them. The prices are such that it is also very difficult to see how one can select a 3 course dinner from the menu within the 20GBP allowance that is included in the room rate. I was even charged extra for the chips (French fries) that I ordered with my steak.

Even though we were on inclusive DBB rates we were so disappointed with the restaurant that we decided to abandon the unchanging offerings at the Golf View and dine at the Newton Hotel along the road. No refund was made.

As on previous visits, we found the restaurant standards at the Newton Hotel to be excellent with a wide ranging menu that offered reasonable value for money. It did a lot to relieve our disappointment.

For 30 years we have recommended the Golf View to family and friends. This morning we left our favourite hotel feeling very sad and disappointed, and with the impression that we had been blatantly ripped off by an hotel that is trading on its past record.

On our next visit to Nairn we will be staying at the Newton Hotel.

Absolutely Fantstic

by TripAdvisor Member pmcc40

Having just returned from a short stay at The Golf View Hotel it was simply fantastic.
First impressions, the place was lovely, over looking the beach. Nairn is a lovely quiet little town.
The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. We got to our room which was superb, it had a huge 4 poster bed, jacuzzi and shower in large bathroom.The decor was rich and very comfortable. We then had a few drinks in the bar which we took outside into the glorious sunshine.
We later ate in the conservatory, the menu had a great choice of dishes and the food was delicious.
Breakfast is served until 10am in the dining room.
Could not fault a thing, the hotel, staff, location, food, room.. all excellent 10/10
Many Thanks I will definately be back

Dreadful service, lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JenBonJovi

I stayed in the hotel a few weeks ago for a wedding that was also taking place in the hotel. The night before I invited 2 friends to have dinner with me in the hotel. The conservatory is lovely with fantastic views, however we were told we could not have a window seat as they were all reserved. We were fine with this but noticed later that the 'reserved' tables actually had no one sitting at them the rest of the night! The next night was the wedding and I had made sure to order my vegetarian meal well in advance. Imagine my surprise when I was told they had 'run out' of the veggie starter even though I was the only person that booked this! I understand that things can go wrong at a wedding but the fact that the waiters and also the manager could not have cared less was the thing that angered me most. Perhaps they shouldn't have put the vegetarian choice on the menu, as people thought they could then order it. The champagne for the toast was slammed down in front of us, obviously the teenage waiters were outraged that I had dared to complain about having no starter. This hotel could be fantastic, the rooms are lovely but the staff are absolutely shocking.

A very disappointing experience.

by TripAdvisor Member Sydney54

We stayed for a weekend break at the Golf View recently only to find that most things about the hotel are seriosly lacking.
We were given a room on the third floor and then told that the lift was out of order!
We booked a table for dinner on the first evening expecting to eat in the dining room as we had done in previous years, but no, it was closed. The reason being - not enough staff. We ate in the conservatory, which is okay if you don't mind children running about and babies crying while you eat! The food was mediocre. We both sent our main courses back to the kitchen as they were cold, not much better when they returned.
The hotel has a problem in that bats are roosting in the attic, we did not think we would have to share a room with them on both evenings. The bats flew in via the open window (which has to be left open, as it is stiflingly hot in the rooms on the third floor.) Another bat seemed to enter the room via the vent in the bathroom ceiling. Not how I imagined spending my weekend away. When mentioning the above problems at reception on check-out, the receptionist was not interested in anything we had to say.
A beautiful hotel in a lovely setting clearly let down by management skills or should I say lack of them. We won't be back!

Loved the Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ScotlandJeep

We have just returned from a lovely weekend in this Hotel. The staff were very good, service was excellent and the good was really good. The veiw from the Conservetary is really worth seeing. The room we had was lovely and big, the rooms were also spotless. There was a wedding on the Saturday night but the staff coped very well with it and there other guests. Will deffinetly return to this hotel again.

Comments