Inverness Hotels

Our Members Say

• JessH profile photo JessH
  • Reviews: 561

AbbeyGreen Cottage / Apartment: Self-Catering Apartment in the city centre

Self-Catering accommodation is a great alternative to Bed & Breakfasts or Hotels, and we found that very often you get a lot more for your money by simply cooking your own breakfast! As we were looking for a place to stay in a quiet, yet central location of Inverness the AbbeyGreen seemed perfect... and so it was.
This 1-bedroom apartment is owned by Isla & Tom O'Reilly and is still very new as they welcomed their very first guests just last July (2008).
We stayed here in March 2009 and Isla welcomed us at her front door, gave us the keys and was very friendly & helpful giving information about the apartment and also about things to do in the surrounding area.

The apartment has its own separate entrance as it is basically a converted, very large double garage right next to their house. This also means that you have an all-important off-street parking space, a real treasure in Inverness! It has been fitted and decorated to the very highest standards, was spotlessly clean and had all the amenities and more than we could have wished for:
Ensuite bathroom with power-shower, hair dryer, a very comfortable bed with crisp white linen, flat-screen television as well as DVD player and iPod portal, dishwasher, washing machine & dryer, a fully fitted kitchen including a small fridge and also a microwave.

On the shelf in the TV area there was also a large collection of street maps, information leaflets, brochures and business cards of things to do & see in the city and surrounding area.

Bishop's Park is a residential dead-end street so it's extremely quiet. Nevertheless, just a 2min walk from the apartment takes you to the Eden Court Theatre, and a further 2min brings you down to the River Ness. 10min walk means you'll have crossed one of the pedestrian bridges and will find yourself right in the middle of town (Inverness Castle, High Street, Church Street, Academy Street, etc.)
We were also located just 10min walk from a small but sufficient Tesco supermarket so we could regularly stock-up on breakfast and dinner items, and a 2min walk around the corner provided us with a take-away restaurant for either pizza or really nice fish 'n' chips.
Basically we couldn't have asked for more and we loved our stay at AbbeyGreen! In Isla's guest book I saw that since the apartment exists it's has pretty much been booked constantly, also by quite a few business travellers to Inverness.

In March we paid £360.- and in summer the weekly rate is £420 to £480.-
All photos on the website are accurate and true (you can compare them to my photos for proof.)

If you're looking for a great self-catering option in Inverness, I can highly recommend the AbbeyGreen.

• Related to: Business Travel, Road Trip, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written February 11, 2009
Tip Photo

Abbeygreen Cottage/Apartment in Inverness (2009)

• Flamegirl profile photo Flamegirl
  • Reviews: 112

Winmar Guest House: nice little B&B

Stayed just one night at this family-run B&B, but if I was returning to Inverness I'd definitely go back.

The owners (Susan and Kevin) were friendly and helpful, happy to answer any questions or provide useful advice on where to go (and a city map).

The location is close to the city centre, about 5-10 minutes' walk across the river - pretty handy. There's parking next door for those who have their own transport.

The rooms were simple but clean, tidy and had all the necessary basic amenities. Many rooms have en-suite facilities, and those which don't are not far from a shower room (the one I used was also clean and pleasant with a good supply of hot water).

Finally, breakfast was ample and tasty - fried breakfasts can be hit-or-miss but this one was well cooked, and certainly set us up for the busy day ahead!

Nothing particularly special, but just all-round good standards and excellent value for money - I paid £22 and was very satisfied with what I got for that.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written September 30, 2006

• lou31 profile photo lou31
  • Reviews: 466

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Atherstone Guest House: Best little B&B in town!

I arrived in Inverness via a tour bus and had no idea what my accomodation was going to be like. The tour company had prebooked it for me.

Well from the moment I walked in the door I knew I had it made.

The proprietors Martin and Ann went right out of their way to make me feel welcome. I think they felt sorry for me knowing I was so far away from home on my own. I tried to reassure them that I was having a wonderful time but they always looked concerned about me.

This place remains as one of the better B&B's that I stayed at.

The breakfasts were very good, the room was clean and had it's own private bathroom. For those travelling by car it also had it's own carpark beside the house.

It was a short walk down Fairfield road to the river where you 'bounced' over to the main shopping area.

• Related to: Road Trip, Budget Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written January 22, 2006
Tip Photo

Atherstone with carpark on the corner

• JessH profile photo JessH
  • Reviews: 561

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

THE COTTAGE B&B: Cute & Cozy... B&B with lovely hosts!

(Review by my mother, as I visited the Cottage but didn't stay here):

This quaint little B&B is run by an elderly couple, Nonna and Michael Jones (she is actually the mother-in-law to the owners of the Moyness House next door!) and made us feel extremely welcome. This was our first trip to Scotland and staying in a typical B&B had always been on our list of things to do.

The B&B has off-street parking and is only a few minutes walk to the main bridge over the River Ness. The Cottage is basically located in a small side street opposite the Highland Council (just off the A82 / Tomnahurich Street).

The rooms were very small but spotlessly clean and tidy, even with some tea/coffee making facilities and especially fluffy towels in the bathroom. The only negative thing we'd have to mention is that the TV in our room was based at the bottom of a shelf, so we had to lie on our stomachs on the bed to watch it. We're not sure if this is the case in all of the rooms.

Breakfast was plentiful and although Nonna was a bit nervous at first when we mentioned that we don't eat pork, she went above and beyond to ensure that "we wouldn't leave hungry and that we're set-up right for the day" and gave us extra eggs, yogurt, bread rolls, cheese, juices until we literally stuffed!

The property itself is nothing out-of-the-ordinary: this is a cozy and comfortable Bed & Breakfast with welcoming hosts, proving once again the warm & hospitable nature of "the Highlanders" of Scotland that we had always heard so much about.

What makes "The Cottage" special is the attention given to its guests by Nonna and Michael... they made us feel exceptionally comfortable and were always glad to help with information, advice or simply a joke or two. We would recommend this lovely place and stay here again.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written July 28, 2009

The Cottage Bed & Breakfast, Inverness

• Redang profile photo Redang
  • Reviews: 2924

Clanfield Guest House: Bed & Breakfast in Inverness

It's always a great experience to stay at a B&B in the U.K., obviously, in Inverness. There are many in the city and I happened to find this one and I highly recommend it. In a quite area, at no more than 10 minutes' walk from the city centre and the railway station, with restaurants and pubs nearby.

- Double room, B&B: 60,00 £ (around 80,00 €) in August '08.

How to get there: From the centre, take High street, Bridge street, cross river Ness and take left. Walk along the river for no more than two minutes, then, take Andross street on your right. Walk along this street for no more than one minute leaving the Cathedral on your left (the other side of the street), and there you are.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written November 2, 2008
Tip Photo

Clanfield Guest House (Inverness, Scotland, U.K.)

• marcboyer profile photo marcboyer
  • Reviews: 5

The Anderson: Really nice hotel

This is a small hotel on the black isle, which is approx. 15 miles away from inverness. It is ideal for people who want to explore the area but stay away from Inverness a bit. Has a nice local feel to it but also has an excellent service. Nice location in a lovely village.

The location - The Black Isle is defintely one of the nicest places to stay in the area.
Its' bar - see my nightlife tips for this. Fantastic beer and whisky choice.
The staff/owner - Really helpful, really nice, makes any stay/drink a pleasant one!

• Related to: Beer Tasting, Seniors
  • Written March 8, 2007

• ange_famine profile photo ange_famine
  • Reviews: 87

Winmar Guest House: Winmar Bed and Breakfast - family run

I truly enjoyed our stay in this bed and breakfast. I was located within walking distance of the town centre (we had to cross one of the bridges) and was very cosy and comfortable.
The price range is more than acceptable and the breakfast was gorgeous and very, very filling (think along the lines of traditional Scottish breakfast).

It may sound daunting, but the owners have a collection of objects shaped like sheep. They allow you to have your picture taken with them for that extra "I'm a tourist visiting Scotland" feeling.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written May 9, 2008

• Aliseeya profile photo Aliseeya
  • Reviews: 151

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Carbisdale Castle Youth Hostel: Stay in a castle!

Carbisdale is located about 1 hr north of Inverness, and it's worth the trip. Very beautiful interior, and the castle grounds were breathtaking. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean, and the common rooms were enormous! Overall it was my favorite hostel in Scotland

The only (potenial) downside was the amount of students staying. During my visit, there was some sort of school group there, so noisy 14yr olds were running around the place. However, they disppeared around 10pm so it wasn't too much of an annoyance.

• Written November 17, 2005

• travelmad478 profile photo travelmad478
  • Reviews: 714

Heathfield B&B: B&Bs in Inverness

I stayed at this B&B at the southernmost end of Kenneth Street, a road that is more or less entirely populated by mid-priced bed-and-breakfast establishments. The higher-end accommodations tend to be on the eastern embankment of the Ness, but I was pretty happy at this place. It was clean and comfortable, with a massive breakfast that kept me going all day long. It's a few steps from St. Andrew's cathedral and just two blocks from the river, an easy walk across to the main part of downtown.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written December 21, 2003

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3557

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

DO NOT STAY IN INVERNESS IF YOU CAN

In terms of hotels/guest houses/B&B’s, Inverness is an open weeping sore on the backside of Scotland. Surrounded by the beautiful Highlands, Inverness manages to overcharge for shoddy accommodation and try and take any joy out of your visit here. If you land at Inverness Airport – try and get as far out of town as possible. I have enjoyed some great accommodations in some of the protected natural areas nearby and lovely places to stay farther afield. Whenever I have stayed in Inverness I have had 1 poor stay and the rest were just hell really. Even local people will tell you of the shame of Inverness.

For the same price as a bad ‘4-star’ hotel you could rent a car, pay for the petrol and the room – somewhere else!

If you find a good hotel review of a place in town on VT – they must be on drugs.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written January 8, 2011
Tip Photo

• psychocy profile photo psychocy
  • Reviews: 74

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bught Park Caravan Park & Campsite: Camp Right In Inverness!

We didn't know what to expect when we arrived in Inverness, but we were pleasantly surprised when we found Bught Park. Fenced off, grassy, level, and secure, this large park is located perfectly on the outskirts of Inverness. It's only about 15 minutes walk into town and there are regular buses, but the park itself is located next to an indoor water park, a floral hall, the gorgeous River Ness walk, a mini-golf course, an incredible children's park with paddleboats and more, and even an ice-skating arena. A 10 minute walk takes you to Eden Court Theater for performances and films. The park has a shop and a self-catering internet cafe, the latter of which had the most reasonable prices we found in Britain. The owners are knowledgeable and friendly, and did everything in their power to make our stay a great one!

The showers are hot and the bathroom blocks are clean, but the fantastic thing here is the location and the price. Perfectly affordable, we paid just 6 pounds per night for two people and a small tent. Also, we didn't encounter friendlier owners than these at any other campsite in Britain.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written July 29, 2005

A Tiny Bit Of Bught Park CP & C

• iaint profile photo iaint
  • Reviews: 1420

The Alexander: 5 star

Stayed 1 night here in December 08. Really excellent.

The owners have been upgrading the place, and the style and quality of the furnishings is exceptional for the guest house market. They even have starched white table linen in the dining room!

Breakfast was great, and you have plenty of choice (you have to order the night before, but if that helps them deliver a better service, so much the better). Fundamentally, the coffee was good!

Staff and owners are friendly and efficient.

It is located right on the River Ness - well, across the street to be accurate, but there are no buildings in between so the views must be superb (we arrived after dark and left before dawn, so can't be more authoritative). On top of that, it is only 200m from the centre so everything is on your doorstep.

They have a comfortable lounge for guests to use.

I paid £45 for a double room/single occupancy, inclusive of breakfast. A steal...

The location first of all.

Then the style and quality of the decor.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written December 14, 2008
Tip Photo

only had mobile phone with me... no camera!

• CandS profile photo CandS
  • Reviews: 1677

Kilmore Farmhouse: Kilmore Farmhouse

We stayed at the Kilmore Farmhouse in Drumnadrochit (try to pronounce that one, it's not easy!). It was a nice B&B a little way out of town...

We paid 36 pounds for a nice double room (breakfast included of course).

They had two highland cows - Eileen & Jackie and even gave me some bread to feed them while taking photos. ;)

• Related to: Backpacking, Farm Stay, Family Travel
  • Written September 12, 2002

Me with Eileen & Jackie

• Crowe profile photo Crowe
  • Reviews: 47

Daviot Mains: Great B&B

Stayed for Business

Owners are very curteous and friendly.

Rooms maybe a little dated for my tastes but the service is 1st class. Internet connection is a big plus when I am away for work.

Breakfast was excellent...its a pity they dont do dinner

would def go back or recomend.

• Written December 20, 2008

• BurgerQueen profile photo BurgerQueen
  • Reviews: 308

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Dalmore Guest House: Feels like home :)

We stayed at the Galmore Guest House for one night only in August 2002, but we would have stayed more if only we had had more time to spend in this wonderful city.
At that time, rooms had just been lovely refurbished. The raw material of the Dalmore Guest House is definitely wood, that keeps you warm both from physical and psycological point of view.
Rooms are clean and well kept, breakfast is gorgeous and Mr and Mrs Reid are the sweetest people on Earth. I still remember I asked Mrs Red is she loved travelling and she answered back "I don't need to travel, the World comes to visit me at home!".

• Written July 31, 2009