Moyness House

Moyness House
Booking.com Priceline.com

• iaint's Profile Photo

excellent!

A very good B&B in a 19th century house, ideally located very close to the town centre (sorry, can’t get used to calling Inverness a city).

I was able to walk to & from the pub/restaurant without difficulty. We only had 3 drinks, so that helped. In fact it was fun on the way back to cross the footbridge over the River Ness and then along the embankment watching the city (oops, did it!) lights.

Location really is an asset. For me it was a little special. Northern Meeting Park is across the street. I played a memorable game of rugby there a few years back. Well, in the 70s to be honest. One of my university friends lived along the street. Where are you now, Stephen Olszyszka? The office where my dad worked (when we lived here) is 200m away.

The whole B&B is clean and well decorated. You get a friendly welcome from the owner. It has off street parking, which is always useful. In a minute I’ll be going out to check for damage from falling apples...

My room has free wifi and a TV. Very quiet & comfortable all round, and I had a great night’s sleep.

Breakfast was your typical Scottish B&B experience. Make sure you’re good & hungry. And plan a light, late lunch. (Aaah, the power of alliteration).

I was £65 (on my own in a double room) for a Saturday night in mid October. Recommended.

Unique Quality: Location & value for money

Directions: Just north of the A82 Drumnadrochit road, close to the town centre.

• JessH's Profile Photo

4star Victorian Bed & Breakfast in the city centre

A few of our wedding guests stayed in the Moyness House during the summer of 2009, and thoroughly enjoyed their stayed. Hosts Richard and Jenny Jones have created an inviting, warm, hospitable and spotlessly clean B&B only a short walk away from the city centre.

It has 6 comfortable and stylish guest rooms (4 double and 2 twin) all with en suite bath or shower rooms.

The house has its own guest car park, which is vital when traveling to Inverness with a car (it can be tricky finding parking otherwise in Inverness.)

Although this is a Victorian property (dating from 1880), it has been renovated to a very modern standard and I've heard time and time again about how great the linen and the bathrooms were! Another outstanding feature of the Moyness House is the breakfast, which our guests told us was delicious and plentiful.
    Prices p. person p.night:
    (rates include 15% VAT and breakfast)

WINTER (November to April): £36.- to £47.-
    SUMMER (May to October): £40.- to £50.-

--> There is a 10% discount for any booking of 3 nights or more.

Unique Quality: The owners make you feel truly welcome, and no request is too much for them. Our friends and family really enjoyed their stay and would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a quiet and quaint Bed & Breakfast near the city centre.
    Moyness House was the home of the acclaimed Scottish author Neil M. Gunn (1891-1973) during the 1920s.
    Prices p. room p.night:
    (rates include 20% VAT and breakfast)

WINTER (November to April): £72.- to £90.-
    SUMMER (April to October): £76.- to £100.-

--> There is a 10% discount for any booking of 3 nights or more.

Info: "The Cottage" B&B next door is owned by the owners' parents / parents-in-law.
    See my separate Accommodation Tip for details.

Directions: LOCATION MAP: http://www.moyness.co.uk/location2.shtml

• Best B&B in Scotland

We stayed in 6 different B&Bs/guest houses in Scotland and enjoyed them all, but Moyness House offered the best quality accommodations for the best value. It's a very elegant Victorian town house and is an excellent location, being just a few minutes walk from shops, restaurants, and the river. It's in a quiet street and has plenty of private parking.

We took advantage of the 10% discount for a 3 night stay. Our room was a comfortable size and was beautifully decorated, and showed great attention to detail. All sorts of extras touches were provided, as they were in the bathroom as well. Our bathroom had a shower (no tub) and was stocked with lots of thick fluffy towels and waffle robes - all gleaming white - and lots of toiletries.

There's a lovely sitting room with lots of books, touring information, local information (including restaurant menus, entertainment guides etc). It was a good place to sit in the evening with a glass of wine. The hosts, Jenny and Richard, were extremely friendly helpful and gave us lots of useful touring tips, booked restaurant tables etc.

Breakfast in the very pretty dining room is delicious - they serve a divine fruit compote, and a good choice of yummy cooked dishes as well. They serve tea the proper way! (with a separate jug of hot water to keep the brew from getting too strong).

There's a nice beautifully maintained and secluded garden to the rear of the house where we had a picnic one evening.

Unique Quality: Beautiful Victorian house in pristine condition.

Exceptionally kind and hospitable owners.

• kathymof's Profile Photo

Great place to stay

Beautiful 5* bed and breakfast. The owners were very nice, the facilities were excellent, there was a great deal of information available in the lounge and the food was good.

Unique Quality: Extremely clean and well kept. There is a discount if you stay more than three days. The location was excellent - very near main road but quiet; just a short walk to the River Ness and downtown area. There is a coin-operated laundromat within a few blocks. Off-street parking.

Directions: just off main highway that travels from Inverness along the west side of Loch Ness

More about Moyness House

OK stay

by TripAdvisor Member GetBusyLivingNow

Stayed 1 nite w/wife. Nice exterior house located about 5-10 minute walk to city center. Main lobby and breakfast room pleasant. Our room was nice & clean, but had issue in the morning trying to get a hot shower. My wife went 1st had hot water, then my turn, no hot water available. I went to complain to the innkeeper and his response was not adequate for me (he described the issue but offered no apology or fix). He did however surprise us with a L10 credit at checkout. At least he did that. Breakfast was average, seemed a bit stuffy, the breakfast room was full w/guests but everyone was wispering....most B&Bs there is a sense of comraderie. I did not feel that comfortable there.
As for Inverness, ok city, I'd preferred to not have driven up as far and spent more time in smaller village towns. Oh well.

Moyness House - Wonderful, Authentic Experience

by TripAdvisor Member GemPea

I recently had the pleasure of staying at Moyness House in Inverness with my fiance. The hotel is a beautiful converted Victorian house set on lovely grounds. Our room was cosy as well as being spacious. We loved the delicious food and the sizeable portions. It was a pleasure to spend time in the parlour in the evenings after spending the daytime exploring the extraordinarily beautiful Highlands.

The owners were very friendly and always helpful throughout our stay.

We really want to recommend Moyness House as a sanctuary to return to after seeing as much of the Highlands as possible!

Outstanding.

by TripAdvisor Member Lupin60

I've stayed at Moyness House on a number of occasions, summer and winter, and it is unfailingly terrific. The rooms are extremely comfortable, pleasant and efficient, the breakfast is one of the best I've had and the proprietors are very helpful, sociable and nice people. I arrive fairly late each time I stay, fed up with the plane journey from London, tired and dishevelled. I always leave feeling rested, in good humour and wishing I was staying longer. Thoroughly recommended.

Joe Bailey: Kingston upon Thames, UK

Quite possibly the best B&B in the UK!

by TripAdvisor Member helperTcell

My wife and I spent a fabulous weekend in Inverness recently and stayed at Moyness House. I booked the room over the phone and spoke to the owner who was very friendly and helpful. We were offered a choice of rooms on arrival and useful restaurant recommendations. Our room was excellent - beautifully presented and immaculately clean. The TV, wifi broadband, heating and shower all worked fine. Nice big towels and plenty of toiletries provided - much appreciated by my wife. Breakfast was great - fresh fruit salad, perfect poached eggs and delicious local sausages.

Overall, a very friendly and impeccably run establishment that thoroughly deserves its five diamond rating. We will certainly be staying here again.

Ideal

by TripAdvisor Member ATCWarrior

I have stayed at the Moyness on business on numerous occasions and recently took my Wife for a weekend in Inverness. The room quality is excellent and guests are well catered for. The guest house deserves top marks for its value for money, friendliness and quality of both accommodation and food. It is ideally located in a quiet residential street only 5 minutes walk from the City centres many attractions. Highly recommended.

The only place to stay in Inverness !

by TripAdvisor Member RJJA

Another very pleasant experience at the Moyness! I travel a lot, both for work and pleasure, and rate the Moyness very highly thanks to a winning combination of home-from-home comforts, great people, and efficient service. Wouldn't bother to look elsewhere in / around Inverness!

The best place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member brezzy

I have been staying in Moyness House for more years than I care to recall. Nearly all trips are business trips although I have stayed once or twice on a personal basis. Moyness House is always very clean, warm and comfortable and the breakfasts are excellent. I can't recommend it highly enough. The addition of a free wireless network facility has given me yet another reason to always make Moyness House my first choice when staying in Inverness.

Michael Breslin