Smithton Road, Inverness, Scottish Highlands, IV1 7NL, United Kingdom

Priceline.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Smithton Hotel

What can I say about a hotel where the owner is so cool he drove us to Culloden Battlefield, picked us up on the way back, took us to a local pub, bought rounds of drinks, and gave me four fingers of the finest Scotch in the place on check-out?! Fantastic! The Smithton is a 16-room, family-run hotel near Culloden Battlefield and it has a warm, informal atmosphere. The Smithon is actually on the outskirts of Inverness and although Culloden is close-by (a ten-minute drive), it is not within easy walking distance of the city centre or the lochs. The local bus has a stop directly across from the hotel and we enjoyed the 15-minute ride from town to get there. Due to booking problems, which were not the fault of the Smithton but of the online agent, I ended up having to pay more at the last minute for the "deluxe suite" instead of a regular room. However, our suite was immaculate--the carpets were new, the furniture looked like it just came out of a box, and the bathroom was absolutely pristine. Our room had a stunning view of rolling hills, with Loch Ness in the background. Views from rooms on the other side the hotel were equally fantastic of Moray Firth (a big lake).
    The Smithon has a resturant and a bar. The menu includes traditional Scottish fare, prime beef, salmon, and locally grown vegetables. You can try your palette on many different types of Scotch at the bar; it's also a popular hangout for the locals. The bar closed fairly early at night (about 11:00 PM) but that would be so that the hotel tenants could sleep.
    A full Scottish breakfast (eggs, sausage, ham, toast, coffee, tomato, and black pudding), was served early in the morning (from 7:00 to 9:00 AM) and was included with our stay. A great meal--filling and served hot.
    I wish I’d had the time to explore their two-acre garden.
    I'm definitely going to stay at the Smithon again on my next tour of Scotland. And if you see Norry, the coolest hotel owner in the Highlands, please make sure you say "Hi", for me.

Directions: From Inverness town centre via the Raigmore interchange and the A96 Aberdeen trunk route. Pass Tesco superstore, take first right to Smithton and first right again.

More about Smithton Hotel

Inverness

by Kaspian

Travel Dates: August 22-23, 2005.

Inverness was both our favourite and, unfortunately, the shortest stop in our tour of Scotland. The people were absolutely fantastic and helpful above-and-beyond the call of duty. We were literally chauffeured around the town by locals!
Inverness reminds me a bit of a bizzarro version of my own hometown, North Bay. A mirror opposite--the town, the people who live there, and the hospitality are everything my town should be.

Scottish By Birth, British By Law, Highlander by the Grace of God!

I can't thank the owner of the Smithton Hotel, Norry, enough for driving us to and from the Culloden Battlefield and taking us to a local pub. And many thanks go out to my friends Paul and Carol, whom I met several years ago in Cancun. We went out for dinner with them and they took the entire next morning off of work and drove us all around Loch Ness and to Urquhart Castle. Now that's more than a wee bit kind of 'em!

Things Paul Says That I Don't Understand: "Ma heeds knittin!", "Aroon the heelan capital oh michty me", "Boiled frog syndrome", "Crikey, we could have done a fly by", "It's pis*ing down here ", "Ring me from a non mobile", "Better shoot the crow", "Wee kilted pin men", "Anyway, think I've parroted on a bit".

"Reflections"

When I think back to Scotland now--almost two years after my visit, it's Inverness that always comes to mind and tugs strongly at my heartstrings. Its rolling foggy hills, its towns, the pastures of thousands of sheep, the rivers, and all the great people I met there. It makes my eyes misty with longing.

I think I have unfinished business in Inverness. A revisit in the hopefully not too distant future is definitely in order.

Recommended Movie: "Incident at Loch Ness (2004)".

Comments