Whinpark Guesthouse

17 Ardross Street, Inverness, IV3 5NS, United Kingdom
Whin Park Guest House
Booking.com eDreams Priceline.com

More about Inverness

Inside the Victorian Market, Inverness (July 2009)Inside the Victorian Market, Inverness (July 2009)

Inverness airport departure hall (March 2009)Inverness airport departure hall (March 2009)

Road A 832 (Scotland, U.K.)Road A 832 (Scotland, U.K.)

Entrance to Rajah Restaurant (Inverness, Aug. '08)Entrance to Rajah Restaurant (Inverness, Aug. '08)

Want to hear the pipes

by Brandysss

I would really enjoy hearing the pipes while I am in Scotland (May 23-May31st). Can someone help me out?? I have already posted my itenerary. The Highlands are probably my best bet?? Sileas what do you think???

Re: Want to hear the pipes

by hawkhead

Try the website of the Scottish Piping Centre in Glasgow: www.the pipingcentre.co.uk If you contact them they will probably know where you will be able to hear the pipes during your stay.

by Sileas

Just saw your posting today ;o) I think it would be a good bet to look it up on the website above. I never purposedly went to see pipes, I just happen to meet them wherever I'm going ;o)
I think you are most likely to hear pipers in Edinburgh (there are always one or two in the streets, although not as a parade etc...) Sometimes they are just in places totally unexpected: I saw the first piper walking along a road near the English border... :o) Good Luck!

by balfor

When I was in Scotland, there were pipers (literally) at wide spots in the road enroute to some of the tourist types of places, there was a young lad playing at castle Urqhart, a regular gathering of pipers on tuesdays (I believe) in Inverness and of course if the Highland games have started anywhere, you will find not only one piper, but massed bands of pipers. :-) If you go to Inverness, check out the Torguish house. The owners daughter (grand-daughter? I don't remember now) was in the pipe band that played there every week. It wasn't even advertised in the tourist stuff 2 blocks from where they played.

Anyhow, I'm sure you'll run across a piper or two. Just make sure you don't run OVER them as they let out this most incredible wailing.

Re: Want to hear the pipes

by hawkhead

Yesterday I was walking down Buchanan Street (that's one of the main streets) in Glasgow and there was a piper outside. Can't remember the name of the shop - you'll hear him anyway - but it was between St Vincent Street and Argylle Street. He was dressed very nicely in Highland garb and was a cut above the usual street "artist" level.

by saraheg77

I just happened to hear a guy playing them on the street to Edinburgh castle... I was glad I got to hear a bit and also got to take a picture with him... didn't hurt that he was cute. ha! :) The pic is on my main Scotland page. Happy Travels!
Sarah

Travel Tips for Inverness

They said we had to be at least 4...

by daarth

None of us had ever sailed in a canal before, and we had read a lot before sailing over. There were a lot of strict rules and regulations, and we understood that there would be a full inspection of the boat to see if we were worthy of entering the canal. Nothing happened. We paid for the entry and sailed happily on our way into the canal.
We had also read that we would have to be at least 4 people to man the ropes in the locks, so we were a bit nervous how that would work out as we were only 2. That also turned out to be no problem at all. But watching a few other boats managing to make problems, I understood why they recommended 4.

Culloden Battlefiled

by calamityjayneuk

This is avery interesting place, however make sure the guides are working before you go. Without someone to explain everything it is just a field with signposts in it. There are exhibits and a film to tell you about the history around the battle of Culloden, but none of them get the atmosphere in the way the guides do. Dressed in the costume of the time, they walk you around the battle field and give yu a blow by blow account of the battle. A must if you are intersted in the history of Scotland as this battle was a turning point in their history and explains a lot of the inbred dislike the Scots have for the English.

Inside the Chapel

by shivan

The Fort George Chapel, titled to some saint I can't remember, has been the last part of the fort itself to be built, several years after the completion of the other portions of the structure.
The king that ordered construction was planning to let a garrison constantly barracked there, and so the fort itself was not compelte without a chapel
The window picture shows the only angel with a pipe in the whole Scotland

Inverness

by bluesmama

"Gateway to Loch Ness"

I've been to Inverness a couple of times now and eventhough I too of course went to the Loch to try and spot the creature I think that Inverness is actually quite a nice town and it is a shame that so many people miss it in the quest to find Nessie.
More pictures and stuff to come

Comments