Ben Wyvis Hotel

on the A834 Dingwall to Contin/Garve road, Strathpeffer, IV14 9DN , United Kingdom
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 21% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Ben Wyvis Hotel

Great Ong Weekend

by TripAdvisor Member AndyJames78

Looking at previous reviews on the website I was a bit concerned to be staying at the hotel as this was booked as a Special Treat for my Partner. I decided to give it a go and I am soo Glad I did.

On Check in the staff were friendly and chatty and interested in why you were there adn if there was anything they could do to help us enjoy our experiance in the Highlands. The Girls mentioned to us as it was lovely weather to try the Quad Biking Locally and it was great myself and my partner both emjoyed it the hotel even made us a Packed Luch to take away with us.

The Second Day we just decided to stay inthe hotel and enjoy a bit of lunch in the garden as the weather was great which helped again Staff in Restaurant and Bar really nice and were waiting on us hand on foot!

The Houskeeping were great as they just did our room when we wanted there was no rush!!

When I originally booked it was over the phone and I mentioned it was my partners Birthday and they had a Card in the room for her with Chocolates Great Personal Touch!!

Reccomend this hotel to anyone we are going back next month missing the quad biking and the hotel have arranged a Clay Pigeon Shoot for us!!

The Ben Wyvis Hotel - Attention to Detail First Class Hospitallity

Easy going weekend venue

by TripAdvisor Member BikesgaloreAberdeen

We used the Ben Wyvis as a base for us to do some walking and mountain biking in the area. The hotel staff were the epitome of helpfulness and politeness, making us feel very comfortable. They went to great lengths to ensure that we were OK and happy, but equally knowing when to give us privacy. The cinema was a great addition to our weekend and we met numerous other guests in the bar later on! All in all it was a marvellous weekend and very good value for money. Thank-you!

Beautiful!!!

by TripAdvisor Member scotty31

We stayed in the BenWyvis for 2 nights DB&B. We loved its location & beautiful scenery. The staff were ever so helpful, the food lovely and the rooms freshened up everyday too.
We really had a relaxing "away from it all break", and will certainly be going back again.

relaxing break

by TripAdvisor Member breaks_8

hotel is in a lovely setting gardens were great for a stroll with excellent views. The food was lovely and served very nicely, staff didnt bother you and it felt home from home. We loved the area very central to some lovely areas of interest, just couldnt fit them all in, we will be back to explore some more.

Let down by food

by TripAdvisor Member ANic1

Stayed at the Ben Wyvis end of March 2008. Hotel was in a lovely setting in the village of Strathpeffer.

The hotel is a lovely Victorian building seemingly little altered from its original form. Sat in lovely gardens the entrance driveway is really rather grand.

The hotel itself was nice and clean, although there was a truly disgusting smell in the reception / lift area when we arrived which lingered for the first couple of days of our break.

The room was adequate. Nothing fancy although the windows were in dire need of a good clean. Bathroom was spotless.

We were very disappointed with the food. It was overall of poor quality whith seemingly cheap cuts of meat, a lot if tinned food and nothing really tasted fresh. Starters were served within a minute or so of ordering, bread rolls turned up at the end of the meal and the wine order was taken after we had finished our starter. The whole process felt rushed with plates being removed from one person while the other was still eating.

Breakfast was better although quality of the products served were far below those as advertised.

I would go back to Strathpeffer as it is a lovely place, but I will not be returning to the Ben Wyvis.

Brilliant weekend

by TripAdvisor Member LAW77

We stayed for two nights. Had a drainage problem with our room but we moved to another room on the ground floor and it was lovely! Cosy, comfy bed, I agree with comments about the shower, lovely!! We ate breakfast and dinner and it was really nice, staff very attentive, nothing a problem. The dining room is beautiful as are the grounds.

Would definitely return, thinking of having my own wedding there!!

Great building, average food & decor

by TripAdvisor Member AlanEdinburgh

Stayed at Ben Wyvis for 3 night through Easybreaks, DB&B. The hotel building is a lovely old Victorian house, with large dining room, large lounges and a "cinema".

The food was average, with courses not being cooked to order (pre-prepared and quickly brought out). There was an a la carte menu, but we stuck to the set menu included in our DB&B offer.

Staff were friendly and cheery. There is room for improvement in the decor of the hotel, there was chipped paintwork in the rooms and a smell in the lift.

The cinema ran 3 different films a day on a large flat screen TV. Both times we went we were the only people there!

Strathpeffer is a picturesque town with lots of old Victorian buildings and lots of walks in the surrounding areas.

Note that the hotel is popular with bus tours, but this didn't bother us.

Defenetily one to avoid

by TripAdvisor Member staffordblair

15th April 2008

Stayed at this hotel last night. Over all I was extremely disappointed!

On first impressions when I drove through the grounds to the hotel it was most impressive. After that is is alll down hill and quite frankly the place is horrible and most unimpressive.
The decor of reception and lounge areas is tired and dull looking. In need of major upgrade. There was an awful smell in the lift and in corridor areas.

The room is of poor standard, need of lick of paint and modernising. Bed was extremely uncomfortable and I felt linen was not the cleanest, particularly the pillow cases. The bathroom was also awful, clean but also in need of upgrade.

I was in dinnner bed and breakfast rate, which they claim is worth £24.95! That must be a joke! The food choice, quality and poor portions was diabolical. Plenty of extra choice if you were prepared to pay for it!! ...... NO CHANCE OF THAT! RIPPED OFF ENOUGH!!

Breakfast was also pathetic, again poor choice and quality, quite frankly they charge the earth and give the minimum!
Only reasonable aspect were the staff, they were friendly..

I would urge readers not to stay here, one of the very worst in my opinion a real dump of a place!

A lovely, peaceful getaway

by TripAdvisor Member CarriePGosport

I have just returned from a one night stay in the Ben Wyvis and was really impressed at the value for money and service. The Highlands are notoriously expensive (£80+ for a tiny B&B), yet this hotel offered 3-4* facilities for a similar price. We booked the Dinner option and were glad we did - not only was it really good value for 4 courses, but the food was excellent - local produce served in an imaginative way (Strathpeffer is also very small, and I don't know where else, other than anouther hotel, that we could have eaten). The staff were fantastic, chatty but not overbearing, and there is a real sense of old-fashioned standards of service - nothing was too much bother. All in all, this hotel is a real gem - though check with the hotel before booking through a website - I think you'll get a better deal!

Comments