The Sheiling

Garve Road, Ullapool, IV26 2SX, United Kingdom
Hotelsclick.com

More about Ullapool

The Seaforth Inn (Ullapool, Scotland, U.K.)The Seaforth Inn (Ullapool, Scotland, U.K.)

Warm Woolen Travel RugWarm Woolen Travel Rug

The Back BridgeThe Back Bridge

Ullapool wearing a winter coatUllapool wearing a winter coat

ullapool

by gazza_YMY_ya_prat

what interesting things can i do in ullapool

RE: ullapool

by abraxa

I was there some years ago, the weather was excellent (incredible) the place has its charme and they make a fantastic fish&chips. Ullapool also has a fishing fleet that lands crabs and scampi along a singularly long piear. I remeber at the time I was given for free to plastic bags of crabs and scampi, and I persuaded the howner of the inn in Carbost where I was stying to cook them for me. The resoult was great. If you get to Carbost, do visit the talischer wiskey distillery.
Abraxa

RE: RE: ullapool

by ADB41

Should point out that Carbost is in the Isle of Skye, rather awkward to get to out of Ullapool.

You can walk in the hills around Ullapool, and (in summer) take a busride to the northwestern-most village in the UK, Durness, near Cape Wrath. A different bus (enquire nearer the time) takes you to the world-famous Poolewe gardens, along the road to Gairloch

RE: RE: ullapool

by abraxa

Sorry, you are quite right, I was referring to a place in Gruinard Bay, but somehow I confused it with Carbost, must be old age creeping on. However Carbost is also a very pleasant place witha a famous distillery.

Travel Tips for Ullapool

Lots of dual signage for you to puzzle over

by scottishvisitor

The Gaelic language is very much alive in Ross-shire and indeed most of the West Coast and the Western Isles. While we were in a pub in Ullapool we overheard the bar manager chatting to a friend on his mobile phone, it was amusing to here him hold most of his conversation in Gaelic mixing it with English when he needed a modern word. Most of the dual signs are in Gaelic as the first language like the tourist sign in Ullapool where it looked like there was loads to do. In case your wondering Sraid A Chladaich is in Gairloch and Buth Dhible maybe important to you it is the Off License in Poolewe just incase they take the English away at some point.

Unknown Memorial / Grave

by Bushman23

If you stop at the Dam (Halfway between Ullapool & Inverness), take the time to walk across it. I did, and found this Cairn on the other side, dedicated to a little girl (1995). There's an old, very weather weary teddy bear on top of it too.

Ullapool

by Bushman23

"The Place"

Ullapool can be found on the West coast of Scotland, 55 miles north-West of Inverness. It isn't the biggest town in the world, nor the cutest, but there is an unexplainable atmosphere there that just sets your heart and soul at ease.

There are two "Main" streets, and about 20 shops in the whole place, which cater to tourists to a fair degree. Despite it's small size, there is a fair amount on offer, from golf, to trips on the Loch, hiking, and of course, drinking...

"The People"

These are honestly some of the friendliest people i have ever met in my life. I got on so well with them in my first season there, and when i returned for my second season, most of them remembered me by name, and were only too keen to buy me a drink.

I've now just completed my 5th season here, including one long winter... it's been fantastic, again. terrible weather this season though, to be honest! Haven't had to much opportunity to be outdoors at all, and most of the staff suffered from Cabin fever for a while... but we survived!

"The Area"

Being on the west coast, the weather isn't generally all that great, though there are periods (lasting weeks) where you can have glorious sunshine.

There are quite a few decently sized mountains within reach of Ullapool, as well as the Summer Isles, and the Isles of Skye & lewis. The ferry departs daily from the dock to the hebrides, and there are Summer Isles tours every morning.

Inverness is pretty easy to get to, as the road is in pretty good condition, and heading north is just as easy. The drive in both directions is also quite scenic.

I'll never forget my time in Ullapool, i lived there for a long time, and i want to thank the people who made this town my home away from home: Harry, Brigitte, Julie, Anne... and everyone else who i met while here. Thank you.

Comments