90 Haymarket Terrace, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH12 5LQ, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 50% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Paul_Traveler's Profile Photo

Outstanding hotel

My daughter and I stayed here for three nights in August 2013 and it was fantastic. The staff from the front desk to the resturant could not have done more to make the stay any better.

From small things like making suggestions on what to see (underground Edinburgh) to ensuring we had the proper change for the bus.

The food in the resturant was excellent and the prices were well in line and actually cheap when you factor in the quality of the food and the level of service.

The bus from the airport stopped right down the street maybe 100 yards from the hotel and the local buses, of which there were three stopped directly in front of the hotel for the shor t15 minute ride to the center of the city.

Quite location but close to everything. Would certainly stay there again.

Oh and by the way....they even send you home with your own rubber ducky......

Unique Quality: Ease of public transportation.

More about Apex European Hotel

Loved this reasonably priced hotel!!

by TripAdvisor Member holmes222

I was pleasantly surprised at this hotel, considering the price I paid. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

The hotel was lovely and warm throughout. The rooms were a decent size, and had a small fridge which contained complementary water, which was handy!

Breakfast was very nice, such a choice compared to some hotels!

As for the location, well it's about a 3 or 4 minute walk from Haymarket Station, The airport bus drops you about a 5 minute walk away, and outside the hotel is a bus stop which takes you into Princes Street, though I'd say you could walk it in about 15 or 20 minutes.

Overall I was impressed with this hotel.

Very Disappointed!!

by TripAdvisor Member wandering_engineer

Booked this hotel on the basis of it having a 4 star rating on hotels.com, when I arrived I was very disappointed, was located in a standard "good" room, room was very clean but old looking and shabby.
I compalined and got upgraded to an executive class room, it was a little bigger and in better condition but this would be what I would expect as a low grade room from a 4 star hotel.
I have to note that the staff were sympathetic and helpful regarding this and explained that the star rating is given by the tourist board.
It is very hard to justify even 2 stars for this hotel, I have stayed in Holiday Inns for half the price and much more sq footage to a room.

I won't be staying is this hotel again.
The Radisson SAS is also a 4 star hotel and rates are not totally different.

Noisy Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Hazy-Sunshine

Stayed here for one night and due to lack of air conditioning needed to keep the window open but the traffic noise is enough to keep you awake. If that's not bad enough we then had to endure the workmen in the room next door!! The car park is big enough for half a dozen cars and then everyone else has to park in the station car park up the road. The location is'nt that good either. Overall the place is more like a Travel Lodge than a 4 star hotel, we wouldn't have wanted to stay another night- so we didn't.

A very nice suprise

by TripAdvisor Member trippy510

Had a 3 night stay in Feb 2007 booked through Sceptre tours. This hotel exceeded our expectations in every way. The hotel is modern and clean. Staff friendly and ready to accomodate your every need. Rooms are a good size even by american standards and the fully cooked breakfast every morning (included) was fabulous!! The hotel is located on a main road but our rooms faced the street and we had no trouble sleeping. The only thing I can say is that it was a bit of a walk (15min) to all the tourist attractions but that is reflected in the price, but the train, good restaurants and internet access are just a block or two away. I would be happy to stay here again!!

by TripAdvisor Member lferr

Stayed here for one night and would definitely go back, the room was average size bvut the bed was huge clean and very comfy. The staff were friendly, helpful and nice - meaning it appeared they were genuinely interested in the guests and not because it was just a job. The bar is small and well stocked and the breakfasts are to die for!

There is a bus stop right outside the hotel that takes you to princes street (1o minutes) with a regular service and 10 minutes in the other direction is the zoo - would advise buying a day ticket £2.50 if yoiuu intend to go out during the day come back then go out again for meals drinks etc at night.

We did not eat in the restaurant though the menu was good and varied (snacks right up to steaks and guinea fowl). But a nice indian restaurant right next to the hotel, although after the breakfast I would definitely try a meal in the hotel next time.

The room was spotless, and I would definitely reccommend this as a place to stay in Edinburgh

Great modern hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jimmyfed

First off this is the Apex reached by turning left for 250m exiting from Haymarket station (not the bigger 'international' one in Grassmarket)- very handy if your pulling a trolley case behind you

Very reasonably priced (I had a room booked for 3 days and my wife decided to join me for one night-no extra charge).
Location is central for Haymarket and the business sector (which I needed) but there is a bus stop outside with buses every 5 minutes for Princes St (same road but about 1.5 miles further down- fare is 1.00 all destinations).

Room was excellent spacious, modern and comfortable with usual trappings and what looked like a brand new bathroom -bath/shower/screen (no mildew or foul smelling curtain usually found elsewhere) and complimentary (plastic!) duck.

Best, however was the under patronised restaurant- the food was close to perfect with 2/3 course menus under 20.00. Breakfast was usual fare plus an organic option.

I will definately stay here again next visit (and I've stayed in many others previously),

Don't feel its worth the money

by TripAdvisor Member aw2010

I stopped here with my partner for 2 nights and, to be honest, I wouldn't recommend going back!

I booked direct with the hotel which they messed up. There was a problem with the system, so a week after booking I got a call to say my reservation hadn't been made! But that problem was soon overcome.

The location of the hotel is a little further out than we thought, around 15 minutes walk from the Castle, and about 5/6 minute walk to Haymarket station.

We arrived just after 2pm and our room was ready. We had booked an Executive room as it was our first trip away, and ordered the wine and chocolates package, which is a complete rip off! £17 for a £4.99 bottle of wine and 5 chocolates on a plate!

The room was located on the top floor (4th) and was not very spacious. There was little room to the bed from each wall, and a large arm chair and table took up even more room. The blinds were broken on the windows and the curtains damaged, so alot of light came in early on in the morning. There is no air con in the rooms, so it can get a little hot and stuffy.

The hotel was very noisy later on at night. It wasn't the hotels fault, more the guests, but you as the floor in the rooms are laminate flooring, you can hear everyone walking around and doors slamming!

The toilet had a problem just started just before bed on the first night, a humming noise when it was flushed which didnt stop until the next day, so not the best nights sleep!

A couple of other, minor issues:

We requested a newspaper on the Sunday, yet none were delivered but we were charged for when departing

The 'minibar' is just a fridge with complementary water, which was not replaced

We ordered a DVD which, despite the hotel advertising they will deliver to your room, we had to go down to reception and pick up ourselves.

All in all, it is an ok hotel, but for nearly £300 for 2 nights you don't expect the aforementioned problems!!

Not too bad.

by TripAdvisor Member civic89

The hotel was not too bad. Our booking did not include breakfast so we cannot comment on the food as we did not eat there at all. Although the menu looked good enough. As two smokers we were very disappointed that we did not have a smoking room even though we had booked our trip well in advance and stipulated smoking room.
The staff that we met seemed friendly enough except I have to say the night porter was very unfriendly (to us anyway). He only acknowledged us on one out of four nights despite the fact that we said hello to him each night.

Fine hotel

by TripAdvisor Member LKKT

Good little hotel. Rooms are modern and well appointed. The breakfast is very good with wide choice and plenty of smoked salmon! Located a bit far from some of the central attractions in the City but hence perhaps a bit cheaper than other hotels.

Excellent food

by TripAdvisor Member VitruviusPuerisque

A one night stay on a business trip during the Edinburgh Festival was hard to organise and not cheap but the Apex European turned out to be comfortable, with excellent food and wine. The hotel is a bit off piste in the Haymarket area, which isn't as smart as the New Town or Old Town. If you have luggage you definitely need to get a cab from Waverley, the bus from Princes Street, or the train to Haymarket station, which is a short walk from the hotel. If you do walk from Waverley, as I did, you get some spectacular views of the Castle, followed by some beautiful eighteenth and nineteenth century buildings before you get to the hotel, which is in a modern building that doesn't live up to the architecture of its neighbours (though it's not much worse than the offices across the road). Luckily the quality of the staff inside makes up for the lack of quality in the architecture outside. I didn't need to park but there is a car park, which is unusual for an Edinburgh (relatively) central hotel.

My room was comfortable, with all the essentials - excellent bed, good shower in clean and modern en suite, iron, and so on. The complementary bottle of wine was a nice touch. There's no air conditioning but opening the windows didn't lead to the din you get in the centre of town. The only drawback was that the enormous bed almost filled the room, so there wasn't space for a chair at the desk. You had to sit on the end of the bed to use it. Hanging space was very limited in depth. For a long stay the cramped room size would be off-putting. The choice of TV channels was too limited for the price.

The unexpected highlight was the food. Room service was prompt and courteous. When they hadn't got the items I ordered the waiter came to my room to apologise and help me to choose an alternative. No impersonal phone calls here. The haggis in a crispy shell was marvellous and the rest of the meal was just as good. There was a good choice of wines. The Scottish breakfast in the comfortable restaurant was similarly fine. The waiting staff were helpful and friendly, as were the reception team. What a pleasant change from the majority of places where I stay.

If it hadn't been during the festival, the price would have been too high for a room with so little space to move around but I guess it's a seller's market. The food and service were well up to the standard one would expect for the price and that's more than I've come to expect these days.

weather

by ash9x9

Will be in Edinburgh coming weekend for 3 nights, any idea how is the weather situation, do i need to carry light wolllens, is too windy ?
Will be staying in Apex European hotel, anyone has had any experience of staying there, how far is it from the main railway station?

Thanks,

RE: weather

by qaminari

It is near Haymarket Station, not Waverley which is the main railway station in Edinburgh.

by clivedinburgh

The Apex European is at Haymarket to the West of the city centre. There is a taxi rank outside Haymarket Railway Station or if you wish to walk then turn left outside station and the hotel is 300m down the road. Weather is to be sunny with showers with an average temp of 20C.

by leics

Bring your woollies anyway (and waterproof jacket, just in case); weather forecasts in the UK are not entirely reliable, and it often cools down quite a lot in the evenings! Enjoy your visit!

RE: weather

by hawkhead

The BBC weather for Saturday in Edinburgh is for showers all day, with a low of 8 degrees C and a "high" of 15 degrees C. So you will definitely need something warm, as well as an umbrella.

by ash9x9

Thanks all of you for your sound advise, it was slightly cold/windy for me,the umbrella did proved to be very useful & so did the wollens and yes i did turn left from Haymarket Railway Station and walked down to Apex European hotel- not more than 300 mtrs:) Perfect!
Edinburgh was wodnerful & wish had more time on hand.
PS: Sorry for the late response as i've looged in after ages:)

by clivedinburgh

Glad all went OK Ajay, keep us in mind for any future trips, we're always glad to help.

Clive